Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
These days the prices exceed the $1500 price mark I see people throwing around here.

The prices I'm seeing are $2500-3000 for a pet and $3000-3500 for a show prospect. I think that most reputable prices are going to fall in line with this price range give or take a bit.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
I've thought of getting a rescue. But I want a cute little Dobie puppy that I can raise to respectful mature adult. And I've never owned a dog before so a potentially temperamental rescue isn't the best of option.

But I've been reading books on doberman; their potential health issues, how to train them, when and what to feed them, how to house train them, bite inhibition. Although I've studied these things I've never put it to practice and I'd rather get a Dobie from a reputable breeder to set us both up for success :)!
I adopted my girl from a local Humane Society when she was 7 months old. They have puppies. Many rescues are well trained, that is a common myth that they will be temperamental. If you're not wanting to wait, it sounds like rescuing is the best option you for you.

Jasmine's adoption price was nothing compared to what a Doberman costs. However; the cost of owing a dog/Doberman is where things get expensive. Going through a byb to skip on the high cost will most likely end up costing more in the long run.

When I apply to add a male as a pet and go through a reputable breeder (and have a puppy shipped), I expect to pay at least $3000 -$3500.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've thought of getting a rescue. But I want a cute little Dobie puppy that I can raise to respectful mature adult. And I've never owned a dog before so a potentially temperamental rescue isn't the best of option.
Honestly, most Dobes that wind-up in rescues probably are the "cheap" ones. If you're worried about rescues being "messed-up" from a temperamental standpoint, what you'd be doing is just getting a younger rescue-grade dog if you're spending $700. The only thing you'd potentially avoid is the mental baggage associated with abuse, neglect, or poor training.

However, the reasons vary for why they may have gone to rescue, some cases have temperament issues, some were just purchased by people who didn't have a clue what they were getting into with a Dobe (or dog in general) and couldn't handle it, and there's not necessarily anything "wrong" with those dogs, and they weren't even treated poorly, they were just too much of a handful because that's the nature of a puppy with high drive. One of the problems with low-end breeders can be that they simply don't bother to make sure prospective owners have their heads in the right place to raise a Doberman.

There are a whole lot of sweet rescues owned by members on here. I got my previous Dobe when she was a young adult (~2 years old) and she was a fantastic introduction to the breed. That might be a good place to start, if you have a good idea what to expect because you have experience with an adult Dobe, you'd be coming from a better place in terms of what to expect from a Dobe puppy. That's just my humble opinion.

And yes, Dobe puppies are super-cute, but they can also be holy terrors. They're adorable even when they're being terrors.

Beyond that, just bear in mind that no matter who you purchase from, the Doberman breed seems to be a minefield of both mental and health problems. Reputable breeders may significantly tilt your odds in favor of one of the healthier, stable dogs, but good luck finding a truly comprehensive guarantee at any price. I guess what I'm saying is, don't assume you have complete control of how your Dobe will turn out just because you paid more or got it as a puppy to raise it yourself.

·
Got mutt?
13,773 Posts
Hey I paid $950 without the ears done. His health testing was done. To have had the ears done first was $2200.
They were going to charge an extra $1250 for a $500 surgery? Wow.

And it's not the puppy's health testing that is being talked about. It is the health testing on the parents, grandparents, and on down the line. The health testing being mentioned is hips, vWD, thyroid, and DCM.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi T'challa! Love to see others from the Portland area. My husband and I live in Portland and we have three Dobes. I'll PM you with price specifics if you're interested. Our three are from MyDobes in Centralia (Marty Young has sadly since passed, so not active anymore); Sherluck in Kent (awesome people - awesome dogs - would buy from them again); Sunset in Portland (ditto on my Sherluck comments).

My experience with price generally is that right around 2K is the "norm" for the PNW, I used to say +/- $500, but now I'm not sure where you could get one on the minus side of the equation.

If you want to spend some time with real Dobes :p, you can also PM me. Our youngest will be 6 months tomorrow, so you could still get some puppy experience in. Also, we're perpetually looking for college kids that would want to house-sit for three Dobes :D

Oh, one other thing - I know for a fact that both Sherluck and Sunset charged the same price for pet or show quality puppies in their last litters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

This may not be super relevant to you but thought I would chime in anyway :p

I'm in Australia and bought my Doberman puppy from a breeder here for $2K.
She has a tail, you cannot legally dock them here in Australia. They can get around this by sending them to NZ to be docked and can cost $3K. Nor can you crop their ears here so she has big floppy ears :)

It seems from my research that about 2K is very reasonable.

Also wanted to say be very prepared for the puppy to take over your life a little as people are not kidding when they say a Doberman is a lot of work and will test you over and over again. They are super smart and learn really easily but can be extremely stubborn. You need a lot of patience and be prepared to get formal training for the puppy :)

In saying all of this she is a lovely girl with a beautiful temperament and plays really well with my two little dogs. Despite how much work she is as a puppy the rewards they provide are immeasurable :D

good luck in your Dobe search quest :p

·
DesertDogZilla
110 Posts
I understand that the puppy is just part if the financial equation. I'm preparing my house for my puppy to grow and be comfortable in. I'm 20 years old without a whole lot of responsibilities. I have family around and willing to help raise my pup. My understanding and knowledge of this breed is only growing along with my affection.

I'm taking into consideration vet bills food costs (tho my family eats like carnivores and the doggy will get a lot of butcher shop meat) obedience training doggy beds crate(s) toys.

I'm expecting to spend around $1000-$2000 on everything with the exception of the puppy.

I want to get a feel for the median price for the breeders in Oregon and recommendations to the most reputable and supportive of them :)
Also take into consideration that you'll be spending more than that because Dobermans will go through bags & bags of food. Be it kibble or raw.

I currently have a 13 week old Dobe pup & boy is she a handful! Love her to death, but I'm definitely considering going the Rescue route for my next Dobe.

I'm 23, work full time & live on my own. So that's probably why. I have 2 other dogs as well. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Time isn't really the issue with me. I have plenty of time. I just want to ensure I do everything I can to provide my puppy with the opportunity, for lack of a better word, flourish and grow happy and healthy.

I intend to enroll my pup in puppy classes and do other training/playing activities to make sure that my pup is sufficiently stimulated both mentally and physically. Also the reason why I want to purchase from a reputable breeder is to recieve that guidience and experience I won't be able to find anywhere else.

Thank you everyone for your help. Also thank you to all you breeders who're dedicating your time and effort to cultivating the breed into something more than just a military attack dog (although it's guard capabilities is highly regarded by me). I can't wait until I meet my new companion.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Just wanted to say, if money is going to be a little tight and you can't afford a $2000 vet bill should one arise (and there's nothing wrong with that, plenty of people don't have that kind of money lying around) it might also be worth getting some quotes on pet health insurance, to prepare for any eventualities. I wouldn't call dobermanns a 'healthy' breed, even though buying from a quality breeder tips odds on your favour.

Best of luck in your search :)

·
DesertDogZilla
110 Posts
Just wanted to say, if money is going to be a little tight and you can't afford a $2000 vet bill should one arise (and there's nothing wrong with that, plenty of people don't have that kind of money lying around) it might also be worth getting some quotes on pet health insurance, to prepare for any eventualities. I wouldn't call dobermanns a 'healthy' breed, even though buying from a quality breeder tips odds on your favour.

Best of luck in your search :)
That's very true.

OP, I have Pets Best Insurance & pay $82 for 3 dogs. I believe for Zilla, who's 13 weeks old, her policy costs $36. They were having an online special for insuring multiple dogs. Just a suggestion :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts