Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm in the Portland Oregon area and I'm just trying to get a feel for how much I should be expecting to pay initially for a pet or show quality pup. I'd appreciate recommendations to reputable dealers with fair prices also. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am in Davie, Florida, horse country. Not Very rural but many farms and stables. I paid $700.00 for a red female ears not done. Mr. Reynolds is not a show breeder. His are working Dobermans. For farms with Horses, chickens ect. The dogs protect property and livestock from Human and non human intruders. At the same time they are loving and affectionate companions. I adore my girl. We have 2 acres but she spends most of her time in the house.
She is spoiled and pampered but I don't doubt she would rise to the occasion if any of the family was threatened.

·
Shake n' Bake
839 Posts
Not trying to stir the pot, but if you purchased a puppy for $700 and the breeder didn't crop ears I am going to assume there was no health testing on the parents either, and I don't mean a vet check but extensive health clearances that should be done before breeding.

That being said I believe the average pet price runs $1500 to $2000 (and reputable breeders will have ears done before you take the puppy home in addition to having health testing results on both parents readily available)

I think the average price for show puppies is $2500 to $3000

Hope this helps and that others are able to chime in

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'mMyra! Is $700 a safe price to buy a Dobie for? With all the research I've done the average price of a promising doberman puppy is $2500. Is that too spends or is that about the right price?

This is gonna be my first puppy and I'm sitting here in anticipation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if any of the good breeders like starlaine sunset dobes emerald and foxfire sell pet quality pups for less than $2000?

I swear I'm not cheap I'm just a student and I need to make smart choices with my spendings.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Does anyone know if any of the good breeders like starlaine sunset dobes emerald and foxfire sell pet quality pups for less than $2000?

I swear I'm not cheap I'm just a student and I need to make smart choices with my spendings.
I get where you're coming from because I'm a student as well. My advice, however, would be to wait and save if you have to. I saved up for years for my dobe. He is from a respected breeder and did cost in the upper end of the spectrum. It was a lot of money and it hurt to write the check but it's a decision that I've never regretted. I know that he has the BEST chance for good health, thanks to his breeder, and that I also have an incredible life-line (his breeder) if I ever need help of any kind with him.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money the your best next option would be a rescue. It's the same dog that you'd get from a less-than-stellar breeder but your money is going to a much better place (helping more dogs instead of producing more).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've thought of getting a rescue. But I want a cute little Dobie puppy that I can raise to respectful mature adult. And I've never owned a dog before so a potentially temperamental rescue isn't the best of option.

But I've been reading books on doberman; their potential health issues, how to train them, when and what to feed them, how to house train them, bite inhibition. Although I've studied these things I've never put it to practice and I'd rather get a Dobie from a reputable breeder to set us both up for success :)!

·
Registered
27 Posts
We got our Kiera from Foxfire not quite 2 months ago. We gave right at your researched pricing for her as a pet pup. She had 2 sets of shots, ears cropped, dewclaws done, tail docked, a full pedigree chart and AKC registration (limited) all included in her 'purchase'. We were able to meet her mother, whom she looks and acts almost exactly like. We are fully confident that she has been given all the necessary ingredients to allow her to grow into a healthy dog that will be free of major health problems.
We had spoken with both starlaine and foxfire about puppy prospects. Foxfire had a litter planned in the timeframe we were looking to get one so we committed to her. The litter was born and things worked out for us to get her. We are very happy with how things worked out for us and the support we got/are getting as we need it.

Just keep in mind, its ok to inquire to multiple breeders about a puppy, but when the time comes to make a decision, you need to commit to only 1 breeder and allow them the chance to find the puppy that will work for you. It is also a great idea to inform any other breeders you may have interacted with that you have chosen to commit to someone else so they can fit their pups with other owners and not tentatively hold one for you only to find out you already have one.

And lastly, be completely honest about your daily life and your abilities to give a puppy what it needs to be a well balanced dog. Doberman puppies are IRRITATING, ask me how I know! They require boatloads of patience and just as much time and energy to raise and care for.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I've thought of getting a rescue. But I want a cute little Dobie puppy that I can raise to respectful mature adult. And I've never owned a dog before so a potentially temperamental rescue isn't the best of option.

But I've been reading books on doberman; their potential health issues, how to train them, when and what to feed them, how to house train them, bite inhibition. Although I've studied these things I've never put it to practice and I'd rather get a Dobie from a reputable breeder to set us both up for success :)!
Not saying it can't be done, but even as an experienced dog owner whose entire world is her dogs, Dobermans are NOT easy puppies. My two were by far the most difficult puppies I've ever raised. Fun and rewarding, yes, but difficult. Our first Doberman was a rescue and was fabulous. You could not have found a dog with a nicer temperament. Reputable rescues are just as wonderful as reputable breeders. They know their dogs and they know how to place them in suitable homes. :)

That said, yes, a Doberman is likely going to cost you $2000 or more. I am not sure if the above mentioned breeders charge any less than that ever, but I do know that I've heard excellent things about most (if not all) of them and would seek a dog from them. No way would I purchase a cheaper Doberman just because it's more cost effective, unless I opted for rescue. Nobody truly wants to pay over $1000 for a dog, but we do it because we increase our chances of a healthier, more well rounded, beautiful dog. And the lifetime support of a good breeder is priceless.

I am also a young person, not yet a student but will be again, and am far from wealthy, and I managed to save money for the purchase price of my dogs (and then some, for other dog expenses). My last puppy (my Aussie) cost me a tad over $2000 with purchase price and the flight to get her and bring her home, and it was more than worth it. It may seem like a lot of money, and it is, but buying a quality bred dog from a supportive, knowledgeable breeder is so worth it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We spent close to $2000 for our pup. He comes with papers, dewlaws removed, first set of shots, tatooed, dewormed, ears cropped, tail docked, health tested parents etc etc.

We have easily spent close to almost another $500-700 (maybe more?) in the month that we've owned him on second set of shots, collars, leash, kennel, toys, upcoming training, posting supplies, and all of the other incidentals that come along with having a new pup.

Loki has definately been more expensive than I initially thought.

My advice would be that if $$ is tight, you are probably better off to wait.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
if you can't afford the purchase price of a dog from a good breeder right now, save up until you can. and continue saving, because you'll want as much in savings as possible for vet visits. these are NOT cheap dogs to care for, particularly as a newbie to dogs in general.

·
Got mutt?
13,765 Posts
If you've never owned a dog before, a Dobe puppy might not be the best first experience. As for a "potentially temperamental" rescue, well, there is really no way to 100% accurately predict that the puppy you raise will be a stable dog. With an adult rescue, you would actually have a much better idea of the dog's temperament. Don't fall into the idea that rescue dogs must have something "wrong" with them to cause them to be turned in to a rescue. Most of them are in rescue due to no fault of their own.

They key words here are reputable breeder. A reputable breeder is one who titles their dogs, health tests their dogs, and offers a lifetime of support for their puppy buyers. And puppies from those breeders will generally cost in excess of $1500.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
There is lot of time and work that goes into taking a Doberman from the "cute little puppy" to the "respectful, mature adult."
My Roxy was 12 months old when I got her, and is just becoming fully mature at almost 3 years old.
That is why I will always take a rescue or adult re-home over a puppy. Here's a link to a great thread that talks about the myths of rescues:
https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFzVPgsqLJTEwC006kwoJd_TBq9wg

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
Good for you for insisting on a well-bred doberman and not settling for any lesser breeders. Definitely worth saving up for the right dog.

If you find you really can't swing the cost (they are pricey, and with good reason!) then rescue is definitely an option to keep on the table. You can explain your situation to the rescue and they can tell you if they have a dog that would be a good match for you.

To answer the question posed, I personally paid $75 to the shelter with a promise to spay. Spay ran a bit over $200 if I recall correctly. (That was 2008.) I would recommend a rescue over a shelter simply because the rescue will have taken the time to evaluate the dog, so you have fewer unknowns going in.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You have gotten some really great answers, and I just wanted to share my experience with you as well. I am young as well(23) and I am getting a puppy from Doctor Leigh McBride in 3 weeks. Hes from the Royal litter. And he is a show quality red male and he will come with his tail and ears done. He will health tested and evrything of course. She will also give me some of the food that he is on right now, and some toys and a blankie. He will be about 8 weeks when I get him. That is the absolute youngest that you should be allowed to get one.

I paid a 300$ deposit fee for him, and his total price is 2100. And that is a great price!

:D hope that helps

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Choosing to buy or rescue is only one step, and so it's only one part of the financial commitment. Please keep in mind that vet visits aren't cheap, nor is a good quality diet, nor is good quality training. A puppy/adult dog is an investment any way you cut it, so please look down the road at the possible expense. :)

Ten years ago, Porter was $1000 from a reputable breeder. Last year, Grizzly was $2200 from the same breeder. Costs are increasing for the breeders. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I understand that the puppy is just part if the financial equation. I'm preparing my house for my puppy to grow and be comfortable in. I'm 20 years old without a whole lot of responsibilities. I have family around and willing to help raise my pup. My understanding and knowledge of this breed is only growing along with my affection.

I'm taking into consideration vet bills food costs (tho my family eats like carnivores and the doggy will get a lot of butcher shop meat) obedience training doggy beds crate(s) toys.

I'm expecting to spend around $1000-$2000 on everything with the exception of the puppy.

I want to get a feel for the median price for the breeders in Oregon and recommendations to the most reputable and supportive of them :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts