Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maiya is just finishing her 3rd and final heat. She has gone into season 6 months apart each time.

Two Dobe owners/breeders I know recommended that I have her spayed in 3 months - counting from day 1 of her last heat. They said it could help with spay incontinence.

Last time I took her to the vet, the vet recommended we only wait 6 weeks. She said otherwise you run the risk of her going into heat again. I'm also going to ask the vet we normally see since he wasn't in the day I took Maiya to the clinic but I assume that all the vets at the clinic will have the same recommendation. I will also ask if they will refuse to spay if I do wait 3 months.

My first Dobe was on Proin for most of her life (she was spayed after her first heat). I would like to do everything I can to help avoid spay incontinence. But most of all, of course, I want Maiya to be safe during her surgery.

So...looking for some advice based on your experiences. Thanks.

·
MOATS
1,922 Posts
I too have always heard it is best to try to time the spay in the middle of the time in between cycles to avoid spay incontinence.

Some dogs do come in more often than every 6 months, which may be why they are recommending 6 weeks, but if she just finished her 3rd heat and had been fairly regular each cycle I wouldn't worry too much about her coming in early.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts