Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stella is almost 8 months old now and fully housetrained. We have always kept her in a crate at night and whenever we aren't home, but would eventually like her to be loose in the house, especially at night. She has never chewed anything that wasn't hers and is relatively calm indoors (way better than I had anticipated a dobe puppy to be). I'm just curious if any of you give your dog free reign of the house. If we ever do, it will be done in stages (first in the room with her crate, then maybe add the hallway, etc...)

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your stories!
Amber

·
Registered
370 Posts
I do, with my first girl, no problems. But my now current girl is a Dober-goat. She eats anything and can be a bit sneaky, so it came in stages ( giving her free rein ) I try to always leave her something like a big knuckle bone or something to chew on while I am gone.

·
Da Boss
3,492 Posts
We were able to leave Brandy "home alone" when she was about a year and a half. We tried it at the one year mark for only a couple hours and she decided my beach tote looked very tasty and chewed that along with the books and ipod I had in there. She'd never really been a big chewer so we were more surprised than anything else.
After that we only left her out for short bursts until she was about a year and a half. Now and for the last several years, we're very comfortable leaving her while we're at work. More often than not, she's in a comfy dober ball waiting for us on the couch or sprawled out in bed. (I'm coming back as a spoiled dobe in my next life!).
We never had a problem with leaving her out at night, because she's always snug in bed with us. :)

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
My dogs are always loose in the house when i am home.

When I have to go to town I put Magic and Pearl in an outside dog pen and Stormy gets the house, but I always leave a door open for him so he can go outside when he wants.

I have wood heat in my home so I never leave dogs locked in when I go out.

Been a few years since i had a puppy, but , yes, as soon as they are trustworthy.....they have free run of the house.

I do not like putting dogs/pups in a crate unless it is absolutely necessary.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
I have only crated Zeus a few times when he went on compulsive food exploring adventure weeks and destroyed massive amounts of food boxes, bars, etc, in my roommates bedroom.

Other than that week, he's always free reign. I do keep him in the 'downstairs' (main level) though, as he sometimes thinks the carpeted portion upstairs is a litterbox.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I always leave my three dogs loose in the house, they're never destructive or too rambunctious. As for my dobe, he is crate trained for when we go to agility classes, but I never really crated him as a puppy.
I started by leaving him in my bedroom with his open crate (he liked to sleep in it) and something to occupy him like a kong or bone. I added more rooms as time when by, using baby gates to block him off from certain areas. Now he and the two others have free reign of the house and more times than not, I come home from campus and all three are asleep on the couch.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Rush is not crate trained and for the most part is able to roam free throughout the house. The only problem that I have encountered is that he loves to get into my purse and destroy my checkbook. This is done while I am showering. He has been kind enough to leave my Coach checkbook cover alone and only rip up checks!!!

We are working on his paper fetish

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
Fiona is completely fine loose in the house when I'm gone and has been since about a year old when I started testing leaving her out. She's never been destructive though and even when she was a pup there was a couple times I came home to find her curled up on the sofa asleep because I guess I didn't get the crate door latched, but there were never any messes and everything was seemingly untouched. Fiona has never destroyed anything...well, except for a few articles of clothing but I was wearing them all at the time and it was during rough play. :)

Tali still can't be loose in the house when I'm gone because she will chew and eat anything she can get ahold of. She has a huge oversized crate (fits a Great Dane and Tali is 24" and 60-lbs) that she's fine in with a pad, blanket, and some crate safe toys (I have no idea why she doesn't chew her crate blanket but she'll chew the sofa blankets).

It works out okay since I wouldn't leave my girls out together while I'm gone anyway. I think there's a possibility they may fight if left alone unsupervised for extended periods of time. So when I leave, Tali is crated and Fiona has the run of the house except for the room Tali is crated in.

When I'm home, the only time they're in their crates is when I feed them. And they both sleep where ever they want in the house at night, usually right on top of me and BF.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I share a house, and the roommates are not comfortable keeping an eye on him (he does the typical dog things: sniff garbage, picks up cat toys, barks at people walking by at the window) so I created a dog room. Free of cat toys, low windows, and garbage. They let him out to pee and give him cuddles, but since I have no control of the rest of the house, he must stay in 'my' area. I was able to let him have free rein 6months after getting him (he was 2.5 years when I got him).

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Got Ammo at 11months and crated him for the first year with us. Now at age 2, I never crate him and he is an angel :) ((my last girl was very sneaky and due to her naughty behaviors she was never allowed free reign))

·
Registered
582 Posts
Remy was almost 3 before I could trust him by himself in the house. He loves leather and once ate his leather SCHh harness-Everything except the hardware...I leave him with a treat ball-that seems to help him get over my initial leaving.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I don't leave my guys alone. I take them everywhere I go.

At night they sleep in my bedroom with my door shut.

The one time I left Bacchus with my son it went pretty well all things considered. He told me the second my truck left the driveway, Bacchus ran to the porch step and belted out his rendition of "doberman taps".

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
If you're going to leave her free in the house, let me tell you from experience, do a full scale clean, twice, and remove any chewable objects.

I thought I had cleaned up everything Lexi may find interest in chewing when I tried her with free access to the house alone and she found stuff to destroy that she otherwise would have left alone if I were home.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
We got Sofia when she was four or five and it never occured to me to crate her. I was new to Dobermans and had no clue that they could or would be destructive.. She's never chewed anything, never destroyed anything or taken anything to eat that wasn't handed to her.. Oooos... I lied.. she did sneak into the SuperBowl party ham plate.. but it was all gift wrapped in shiny silver paper that I'm sure LaDiva thought was especially for her.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
It totally depends on the dog.

Whisper has always been fine, from early puppyhood, and has never really been crated (except at agility when needed).

I've had other dogs who had to gradually earn their total freedom.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Wheeler has free reign of the house 24/7 since about 12 months of age. Fortunately, he is not a chewer and has only ever chewed his toys or bones. Lola of course, is crated anytime we can't pay 100% attention to her.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Dreizehn is about 14 months old and I would not give him free-reign. He has yet to destroy anything he shouldn't or eat anything he shouldn't but he likes to explore with his mouth and I don't trust him, I may never trust him with free reign.

Ruthie, who is not a doberman, is about 7 or 8 months old and I actually would trust her alone in the house. I have NEVER seen her show any interest in putting her mouth where it doesn't belong. That being said, she still gets crated for her own safety.

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
Nexus would be fine in a house alone, she sleeps, or plays with toys, so when I go out, I just gate off the kitchen and leave her in the living room. Bella on the other hand is a sneaky thief who chews anything she can get to. I put her in her crate when I leave and she gets a bone and a few treats for being good and going in. If I dont separate them while I am gone, they will inevitably get into trouble. At night its different, they both have free run, though Bella will stay in my bedroom asleep on her bed, and Nexus sleeps in the living room on a chair. She will patrol the house from time to time, and comes in to check us once in a while.

Mysti was always good when left alone. She had free run of the house from the time she was about 1 yr. when we would go out and from the time she was about 3 months she slept in our bedroom not in a crate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts