Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI! Im new here and I was wondering how long I will need to keep taping Duke's ears. He does really well with keeping them up on his own when we first un-tape them but when we think that they are okay and leave them untaped, after about 2 days his ears start drooping. I heard that calcium pills help but I dont know. I guess Im wondering when we will know for sure that we can leave them untaped because I dont want to hinder his progress by just waiting to see what they do. How hard are they? How much control do they really have? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi Sarah, welcome to the forum. We have been taping Suzy's ears for about 2 months now. Our vet gives calcium as standard procedure, double the dose as directed as well as Pet Tabs. We had the same problem, took tape off and they were great for a week then tops were floppy so we went back. Then had tape off for a couple of days, same thing. When we took her back this past Saturday vet said to take off next Saturday morning before we return to retape and we should do this for the next couple of weeks. Best of luck with the taping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice! I am glad to see that you went through a good vet, it is a mistake that I will never make again! I will try the calcium and good luck also.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Sarahy said:
HI! Im new here and I was wondering how long I will need to keep taping Duke's ears. He does really well with keeping them up on his own when we first un-tape them but when we think that they are okay and leave them untaped, after about 2 days his ears start drooping. I heard that calcium pills help but I dont know. I guess Im wondering when we will know for sure that we can leave them untaped because I dont want to hinder his progress by just waiting to see what they do. How hard are they? How much control do they really have? Thanks so much.
If the ears are standing for just a couple of days at a time, I'd probably leave them down for a short period of time to air out, then repost for 4-5 days...do that for a couple of weeks..then give it a try and see how long they stand before they droop.

Giving puppies calcium is an outmoded idea, and not particulary wise. You can disrupt the proper levels of minerals in their system, especially zinc. Most puppies don't need any kind of supplement to get their ears to stand-but if you feel you HAVE to give them something, 1500 mg. of glucosamine is a lot safer (and probably more effective).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Duke is 14 weeks right now and is growing up quick! Yes he is my only dobe, and dog. I also have a cat named Ty who is still a little aprehensive about the new addition to the family.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Sarahy said:
Thanks, Duke is 14 weeks right now and is growing up quick! Yes he is my only dobe, and dog. I also have a cat named Ty who is still a little aprehensive about the new addition to the family.
At 14 weeks, your puppy is probably right in the midst of teething. While there are some exceptions, most puppies need to be posted until that process is completed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the tips and will the glucosamine be at the pet store or should I go to a vet?

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Also depends on the type of crop and the thickness of the ear. My girl has a medium to long show crop, with thin to medium ear thickness, so I had to keep posting until she was about 7 months. A shorter crop takes alot less time to stand. Her tips are still alittle floppy when she runs, but the ears stand very good. Teething does affect this process. Once they are through the teething process, the ears start to firm up faster. Keep posting religiously

And Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Murreydobe said:
Giving puppies calcium is an outmoded idea, and not particulary wise. You can disrupt the proper levels of minerals in their system, especially zinc. Most puppies don't need any kind of supplement to get their ears to stand-but if you feel you HAVE to give them something, 1500 mg. of glucosamine is a lot safer (and probably more effective).
Hey, you're right. Sometimes I just do what the vet says and not think - we did that for our other 2 Dobies and that was years ago. Glad you mentioned that, glucosamine is supposed to help cartilage and calcium is for bones. What a dummy I am :spanka: :thanx:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am being lazy and not reading other peoples posts so sorry if this has been covered.

Be careful to feed your dog too much vitamins as a puppy because people believe that over giving cant hurt but it can develop into liver/kidney minor issues. Regardless beware. Just stick to a good food and a dog multivitamin.

Do NOT let the ears be untaped! 14 weeks is way to early. Personally I would keep taping for another 4-7 months depending on your pups ears.
7 months is nothing considering that the forming of the ear is going to last him for the rest of his life!
Its a brief time in comparison to get such beautiful results.
When you get to a point where the ears are strong and thick but the tips arent staying read about "Breathe right strips" there are photos in the gallery if you search by my username, Firebretha .

Remember that you have to imagine the cartilidge build up as such:
The ears grow thicker by "laying down a thin layer of glue, then a few days later more glue, and then a few days later more. Then you try to test the glue and it bends in half and then you are back to point A"

Keep it strong from start to finish and you will have a durable ear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts