Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stella's mommy
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask here, because ppl often comment how Stella has fluffy ears, but in general her fur is slightly longer than the dobermans I see.
Shes not a mixed dog, Both parents were on sight when I got her, both had regular doberman hair.
Her Fur is about 1.5" long on the furriest parts like neck and shoulder blades.
I've read that some dobermans are in fact born with way longer hair than my baby girl. How about your dobermans, any of them have longer than average length??

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
both my girls have really short hair, but I have heard of coated dobermans, very rare genetic flaw that gives them slightly longer hair, sometimes a couple inches long. I have not ever seen one other than google though so this is so far hearsay on my part.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Ohhh length like that is normal, some have a slightly plusher coat and others tighter/shorter/denser. Depends on breeding :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Kris was born in December where it was really cold so always seemed to have a longer coat in the winter than I expected. I had coats for her but she never seemed to need them even when it was even -10F. She would run and play in the snow until I would finally call her in. Even now, her coat is a not the sleek, short coat I have seen on some Dobermans. Her mother was a blue so had hardly any coat and I did not see what her father's coat was like.

·
Stella's mommy
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh thank you for you replies !
Reading your story +Cariboo Country, I realize perhaps its because Stella was born last november 29th and last winter was brutal here in Montreal. Maybe as a baby that was going outside she grew a longer coat. Her parents/siblings live in a kennel and have free access to inside/outside, so first day I met Stella she was already going out and playing in the snow hehe..
Ahhh shes just normal I guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My male Euro and American mixed Doberman made puppies with an American Doberman. The litter was 10 puppies. The biggest strongest and most active male has a longer more plush coat than all the other puppies and the parents. He looks totally different!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,122 Posts
Puppies in the same litter can actually have different fathers--a bitch will breed with more than one dog if she gets the chance..

·
Premium Member
11,413 Posts
Mine was born with a plush coat and longer hair. 10 puppies. 3 blue males so it’s definitely a genetic disorder
Katravis--what do you mean "it's definitely a genetic disorder"?

Do you think that blue in a Doberman is a genetic disorder? It's not you know--it's simply a matter of having a pair of dilution genes (one from each parent--and the parents may be any color but if one is black and and both carry the dilution gene you'll have a potential for blue puppies. Or do you think the longer hair is a genetic disorder?

If you go back to the dogs that the Doberman was originally bred from they were basically mutts but there are pictures of them and most of the dogs immediately behind Dobes had longish hair. They added Manchester Terriers (then called black an tan terriers) which were short coated to get the short coat set in the lines--the single cross of a black greyhound bitch also helped--greyhounds are also short coated.

But the genes for a longer coat are there from the beginning--so you really can't call it a genetic disorder.

Or you can if you want--but it's not--it's undesirable in a Doberman but not really a genetic flaw. Floating around in the internet are pictures of a red Doberman who looks like a Australian Shepherd his coat is so long. But if you check out the information on him (he ended up in a permanent placement for dogs whose owners didn't want them any more) and he was a purebred Doberman--but all those genes that produce long coat lined up in him and he had a coat that was more like three or more inches long.

dobebug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts