Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 month old and he got his ears cropped at 11 weeks. I have been taking him back every week or so for retaping. One ear is completly standing then the other will stabd for about a day then fall down. Today the vet said he just doesn't think it will stand because it is too long and thin. Is that a common problem? Should I keep taping them or give up?

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Keep posting

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok about how long should I keep doing it? The one ear that falla has alittle crease in it...the vet who cropped them say it may be a concern but to the fact that it stands for 24 hours I feel like I shouldn't give up!
Ill post a pic when his taping first came off last week.

Attachments

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
His crop is a little longer- keep posting! As for the crease, when you post the ears make sure you pull the ear up (gently) before applying the tape. This helps to stretch the ears, minimizing creases from developing.

Don't give up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep posting
This.

And to help give you an idea - its will generally be a minimum of 6 months old around when they are completely done teething. If its earlier then you're super lucky!

Your vet sounds a little silly, but so was ours. Most aren't well versed in longer crops (if even crops at all). Some good tutorials on here if you want to start learning to do it on your own! After our 17th vet visit we pretty much had it down.

You can see in this pic her right side is a little weaker, we thought she was done, it stood for 2 days then one morning it was down, re-posted for a week and it was good to go!

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Some people have had to continue posting past 1 year of age, each is different. Just keep at it, you are doing great :) dont forget to pull the ears upward and tight (not to hurt), and put the tape on before you let go of the ear while still pulling the ear up.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I would try very hard to make sure it doesn't flop. So if you think it goes 1 day without flopping, keep it down half a day then put it up BEFORE it comes down. That is really a key factor in getting them to stand quicker. Try this for a while and slowly lengthen the time. You'll get a feel for when it starts to get weak but hasn't flopped. If you see any signs of that, immediately put it back up.

Reactions: Q734

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Keep posting. When you think you're done, post for 2 more weeks.

We thought we were done @ 5 (1/2?) months because they stood for over 2 weeks then they slowly began a 10-11 & 1-2 o'clock bend. We didn't post for a month, no breaks but the wilty thing, so I've been posting again because I want them as close to 12 oclock as I can get 'em.

The problem with such a long break between posting for example our boy SOOOO thought he was past that and reacclimating him to being posted again wasn't fun.
He didn't respect a lighter modified post either & would pick constantly @my inventions, ripped one out during a class which was awful and looked hideous angry red afterward- so flat out posting it is.

I would try hard to find someone into dobermans or a cropped breed that can help you post so you can do it yourself & not have the pay the vet each time you go if that's what's going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts