Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Renic's crop is a long show crop and very well done! I reposted his ears today because he got the posts and tape very wet and I noticed they haven't even started to stand. He is 4 months old. He was cropped between 5 and 7 weeks, not sure on the exact date.

When did your show cropped dobes ears start to stand on their own?

I know you always should post through teething, would that and the stress of a new home have something to do with his ears not standing in the slightest?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
There is no set answer to this - could be anywhere from a few weeks to well over a year.

You can do a search on her re: posting, there have been numerous threads about this, preferred posting methods, how long they posted, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Renic's crop is a long show crop and very well done! I reposted his ears today because he got the posts and tape very wet and I noticed they haven't even started to stand. He is 4 months old. He was cropped between 5 and 7 weeks, not sure on the exact date.

When did your show cropped dobes ears start to stand on their own?

I know you always should post through teething, would that and the stress of a new home have something to do with his ears not standing in the slightest?
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think 5 - 7 weeks is early for a crop. That may have a hand in it, I don't know. Damien has a medium to long crop and he was cropped at 10 weeks old - late October, 2008. I posted his ears every 3 - 4 days. When I would take the dressings off, I'd let them dry for an hour or so and during that hour I'd keep a pop can with a few pennies in it. I'd rattle the can a little to get him to perk his ears, I'd do this 20 - 30 min in small increments. His ears were standing by Christmas, '08.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think 5 - 7 weeks is early for a crop.
The ideal is 7-9 weeks, but I've heard of many pups being cropped after that (up to 12, even 16 weeks(!)) and their ears did ok. I'm not sure about pups cropped earlier than 7 weeks. It really depends on the dog, the style of crop, and the individual ear leather. No one can say for sure how long it will take for your pups ears to stand. Like the others said, long show crops can take awhile.

Definitely post through teething, and never let the ears flop between posting. When you think you are done posting, do it for another couple weeks! Believe me, its easier to post for a bit longer than needed, than to stop too soon and try to correct the damage. Good luck!

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
Drago has a long show crop and I posted him until he was 8.5 months old. Mariah has the same and I'm still posting her. She will be 8 months old on August 19th and wears posts 4 days a week now and then breathe right strips 3 days a week.

I'm hoping we'll be done posting by the end of this month but we might have to go longer.

Good luck, Tracy

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I kept posting Risa's ears until she was a bit over 9 months of age. I probably could have stopped around 8+ months, but I wanted to be safe. Although we aren't posting anymore, I'm still using breath rite strips on the tips. She just turned 1 year old on July 23rd. The ears are nice and straight (and standing), but the very tips are still a tiny bit soft.

Reactions: Renic

·
Banned
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you for the helpful info! I feel beter knowing that it takes that long for them to start to stand! I was worried.

Does anyone give their pups a calcium suplement to help the ears stand?

·
Banned
648 Posts
Marvel's ears were cropped at 7 weeks and we kept them posted until she was just over 6 months old. Had we shown her, we'd have kept them posted longer. I believe her show brother was posted until he was about 8-9 months, which is consistent with the feedback above. Incidentally, I believe the pups ears will be standing well before the 8-month point, but the reason most show people post them for an extended period of time is less to make sure they stand, and more to correct any asymmetry. Exhibit A is the photo below. My girl was 17 weeks old. Her ears, though standing tall with a show crop, are a mess aesthetically. So our efforts were spent not only making sure the ears stood, but that they stood symmetrically. (We eneded up straightening them out quite nicely.) Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
thank you for the helpful info! I feel beter knowing that it takes that long for them to start to stand! I was worried.

Does anyone give their pups a calcium suplement to help the ears stand?
Calcium should NEVER be supplemented in a pup unless your vet is specifically correcting a low calcium level (which is highly unlikely).

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
we posted for about 4 months - he was about six months old. He doesn't have an extremely long crop, though he has a show crop. Plus we got lucky with good ear leather.

You should on posting through teething at least. Some of the really long show crops require a long time in posts to stand, then breath right strips after that to finish off the tips. That could go over 1 year old.

And it depends on how you post. Assuming when you take them down you don't leave them down for extended periods of time. There is a rule of thumb that everytime you take them down and let them flop, you just added a week more of posting time to correct that. So message - take them down, clean them, take a quick picture, and repost without delay.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ear length and style of crop are personal decisions made by breeders and owners. However, this trend of going longer and longer has its concerns. I have had and been around Dobermans since the 70’s and most people were done posting at or before 6 months. With these long crops it is not uncommon to hear people posting to well after a year as well as many that never stand correctly. I have great concern about beginner’s buying Doberman puppies with long ear crops. Are they informed about the work that will be required to properly get their dobe’s ears to stand? Will they have the perseverance to post for such a long period? It can be a very a discouraging process

·
Registered
374 Posts
What crops are recommended? We are hoping to get our pup in a few weeks and my wife really likes the military crop. We have heard it is easier to stand, especially for beginners. The dog is going to be strictly a pet so we really don't care about the showing aspect. Any recommendations or is it basically a personal decision?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Try looking at this site to see what you prefer.
The Doberman
I would take a picture to your vet as very few really know what they are doing. You are likely to get most anything when you get your pup back. I have seen some really horrible trims on this forum.
I don't care for the military cut or the show cut in these examples. I think this show cut is the extreme long one. I do like the medium crop.
A military cut will stand up sooner than the longer cuts ordinarily.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
What crops are recommended? We are hoping to get our pup in a few weeks and my wife really likes the military crop. We have heard it is easier to stand, especially for beginners. The dog is going to be strictly a pet so we really don't care about the showing aspect. Any recommendations or is it basically a personal decision?
I guess if you're going to have the puppy cropped yourself, it becomes a personal decision. In many cases the breeder handles cropping prior to placement, they and their vet will make that decision.

IMO, very very few dogs have a head good enough to not look...awful with those short military crops. They tend to diminish a dog's appearance far more than they enhance it. Even if the dog is strictly a pet, you still want an attractive crop on them.

I don't like the super, super long show crops you frequently see these days, either. I guess I like the "short long show crops", LOLOL.

·
Banned
648 Posts
My girl's crop is very long, and it's funny, often people will say to me: oh I am SO happy you didn't crop her ears! They say this not because the ears fail to stand properly, but rather because there is SO much length, they assume the crop is to reduce the size of the ear, not change its orientation on the head!

Honestly, if you are considering taking the pup to a vet to have a military crop done, I'd urge you to simply leave the ears natural. The natural look is IMO far more attractive than a military crop.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I like the medium (which seem like most people are suggesting) and my wife likes the military. We may go with a happy-medium (short medium/long military). Most people I ask (freinds and family) really like the military though.....funny. I definetely won't leave them as is. I want my dog to look like a Dobie and leaving the ears down does not give it the Doberman look. When I showed the uncropped pics to friends and family, they did not even recognize the dog as a doberman, most thought it was half weim and half dobie (not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with that). Part of the reason we did get the dog is for PPD. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My pup is 16 weeks old with a very long show crop, and his ears stand perfectly thank god. If he wasn't teething I'd attempt to stop the postings, but will continue with them until 6 months just to be on the safe side. I personaly love a very long show crop.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I just had 9 pups done yesterday, everyone is long, the vet wasn't for it, but I prefer the look, and my owners have all seen the mother and like her crop. I don't give calcium per say but I do add yogurt to their food daily, and was told recently that a well known breeder sprinkles plain gelatin powder on the pups food. Nyzmes were also recommended, I'll be starting those soon too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts