Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Just curious, how late is too late to socialize your puppy? Mine is almost 13 weeks, and we invite people over to the house often in clusters, but it is VERY cold outside now so it is hard to walk her around to meet people. How did you socialize your Dobe? I hear car rides are good as well!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Take her to Home Depot, Lowes, other hardware stores. Drop in to feed stores and check out prices on whatever. Petco is a good place. Also, my local vet has day care where we can take out dogs for a couple of hours. Beginning obedience classes are good as well.

I also think socializing is an on-going process.

Good luck with little Brandy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is never to late to socialize your dog. Socialization should happen throughout their entire life, not just when they are puppies. Try to take her everywhere you go when they are young. Having people over is a great way to start but dogs will act differently when they are not in the comfort of their own home.

I tried to just take mine anywhere dogs were allowed. Parks, friends houses, neighborhood walks, training classes, etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,878 Posts
While it's never too late, early socialization is REALLY important. Ask me how I know :)

I would take her out as much as possible. You want her to have positive exposure to as many different experiences as possible. Even if you had a ton of people over that wouldn't be nearly enough, as she wouldn't be out in the world experiencing things that aren't in your home.

My trainer posted a huge list of socialization ideas for puppies. It's a great place to start for ideas. Raising K9: Socialization Ideas

·
Registered
137 Posts
socialization can be done at any age. opie and jax were used to the odd person coming over to our house from day one, but they surprised me with how well behaved they were when we had a bbq for my birthday when they were elven months old. anyone would have thought that our house was always packed, and they were really gentle with the kids. dog wise, opie didn't mix with other dogs until jax was rehomed when they were twenty months old. people don't seem to avoid me as much now i'm only walking one dog. he plays brilliantly with other dogs, and even lets smaller dogs boss him around :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I echo what the others have said. It is never too late but the first 6 months are probably the most important and should be the most varied. Expose her to EVERYTHING you can think of. People with hats, without hats, big bomby coats and boots, no coats, people with canes or crutches, carrying big bags or boxes, different animals, hair dryers, ladders, etc. Even new flooring if you can, carpet, hard wood, cement, lino, etc.
You may want to see if you vet will allow a drop off for the day. I did that with Jordan as the staff there all bring their own animals in. When she was there without me she learned to meet new people without needing me by her side. I even had other people take Jordan by the leash and walk her around the pet store without me. (Jordan has needed to build confidence without me). I was also fortunate that I worked at a place that let me bring her with me. So she would spend the day with me at work and see oilfield parts coming in and out and she was meeting new people all of the time. She went just about everywhere I did for the longest time. Don't get me wrong, even though she is just over a year now she is still a work in progress. In our situation Jordan is a girl that will probably need different exposures and being worked her entire life just to keep her practice up. If that makes sense? I guess I mean, she is never done. It's not like I could wake up 6 months from now and say "ok good. Jordan has had all the new experiences she needs'. She is a girl that will need experiences to help keep her confidence. Not saying your pup is like that...just blabbering about mine.
Anyhoo, definitely change things up and change how you expose her to things. If her exposures are all the same over and over then she doesn't learn how to deal with new things. Each new experience (positive) will help to build her confidence.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's never too late! Willy the papillon came to us at five years old with no socialization- with a lot of work, he's wonderful now! Yours is still a baby, get her out there!!

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
While I agree that socializing is an ongoing process, there is a very critical social period between 8 and 16 weeks old. Puppies who are not exposed to as many diffent people, places, and dogs during this critical period are the ones who end up with issues later on. This is also the period in which events that traumatize the puppy will have a lasting effect so it is important that socialization is done well.
In the old days, people never took puppies out prior to 16 weeks for fear of disease. In more recent years, even the Humane societys are recognizing the importance of this critical period and advising puppies be taken out and about to safe places.
Read up on socialization and find places that are safe to take the puppy. Find dogs that are safe - ask if they are good with puppies, not just good with dogs. Many adult dogs are fine with other adults and not so fine with rude little puppies. Do not use DOG PARKS!
Hang out in a parking lot, go to the beach, mountains, downtown, whatever - places where dogs may not usually hang out. Focusing only on people is not good.
Watch your puppy for signs she is overwhelmed or fearful and remove her if necessary, but don't coddle her if she is.
Without writing a book, those are my best 2 cents worth. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hang out in a parking lot, go to the beach, mountains, downtown, whatever - places where dogs may not usually hang out. Focusing only on people is not good. :)

Definitely good advice and I'm not disputing anything you are recommending. I know they were just examples but, just to let everyone know.... right now is it -46 with the windchill in Alberta so all socializing certainly needs to be done inside until it warms up. I am about to perish just getting from the door to my Jeep. hahaha

Please, please, please warm up soon. :roflmao:

·
Super Moderator
21,878 Posts
You can set up indoor play dates with stable, tolerant adult dogs, too. Or look for indoor "puppy socialization" classes where pups can play together with trainer supervision.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts
Definitely good advice and I'm not disputing anything you are recommending. I know they were just examples but, just to let everyone know.... right now is it -46 with the windchill in Alberta so all socializing certainly needs to be done inside until it warms up. I am about to perish just getting from the door to my Jeep. hahaha

Please, please, please warm up soon. :roflmao:
And here I was complaining about it being 17 degrees here yesterday morning. The baby girls came to work with me this morning in their puppy coats, and it is 30 degrees! :) I guess we californians are wimps!

·
Registered
188 Posts
And here I was complaining about it being 17 degrees here yesterday morning. The baby girls came to work with me this morning in their puppy coats, and it is 30 degrees! :) I guess we californians are wimps!
Hahaha, my parents are snow birds and have been in Texas for the past couple of months. My mom was complaining about the weather and I nearly hung up on her. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello!

I agree with socializing your dog as soon as possible. I know the weather is a big factor here in the north. I got my girl in January, in the colder of winter. I tried to bring her to places but not as much as I would have liked.

By the time the weather got nicer, my girl was already 5 months old. She is good with people and small dogs as I have one at home, but still aloof to bigger dogs.

Going to all those places where they allow dogs like the big pet stores is a fabulous idea. I wish I have tough about this...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I don't know if this was mentioned but be sure the dogs you expose her to now are fully vaccinated. I would also not go someplace like a park where people often bring dogs until she has had her last round of vaccinations. I was just reading a craigslist add where some lady had taken her 12 week old puppy to the park and it got parvo.

Early socialization is so important and right now I'm struggling with the effects of not having done as much with Whiskey as I would have liked because of his broken toe. He's really cautious and a little fearful in new situations :( Getting loads better now that I can take him all sorts of places, however!

·
Registered
68 Posts
While it's never too late, early socialization is REALLY important. Ask me how I know :)

I would take her out as much as possible. You want her to have positive exposure to as many different experiences as possible. Even if you had a ton of people over that wouldn't be nearly enough, as she wouldn't be out in the world experiencing things that aren't in your home.

My trainer posted a huge list of socialization ideas for puppies. It's a great place to start for ideas. Raising K9: Socialization Ideas

holy cow! i wish i had seen this list when guin was a little tiny guy. great link

·
Super Moderator
21,878 Posts
holy cow! i wish i had seen this list when guin was a little tiny guy. great link
My trainer really is that awesome. I wish she hadn't moved to Boston :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts