Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I鈥檓 new signed up like two months ago but haven鈥檛 posted well I have my first Doberman puppy and well it鈥檚 been quite a ride lol but here is 脡ros he is 19 weeks right now and I鈥檓 having a little trouble posting his ear alone and trying my best ... how are they looking does he have pockets?

Attachments

Big Lil pup
Hi Dori. Welcome to you and Eros from the Pacific NW.

Ears.... I'm not seeing your pup's ears tipping in the way that one does typically when pockets are forming . His ears simply appear to be curving inward well above the natural break because he has a moderately long crop and at 4 1/2 months you still have many weeks before you are probably done posting. Are you making sure the posts go all the way up to the very tip of the ear?

In any case... Why don't you take a few photos of Eros' ears when they are up and paste them here on this thread?

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ears.... I'm not seeing your pup's ears tipping in the way that one does typically when pockets are forming . His ears simply appear to be curving inward well above the natural break because he has a moderately long crop and at 4 1/2 months you still have many weeks before you are probably done posting. Are you making sure the posts go all the way up to the very tip of the ear?

In any case... Why don't you take a few photos of Eros' ears when they are up and paste them here on this thread?

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
This was how his ears were posted beber茅 takin them off it鈥檚 just one of his post popped out of his ear after 5 days

Attachments

Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Also check to make sure that the posts you are putting in are not curved themselves before you even put them in his ears. Typically if you use backer rod, you need to tape a layer or two of duct tape lengthwise on the rod to make sure it is straight and strong enough to hold the ear without curving itself. Then back-wrap the rod with athletic tape, sticky side out, to get it ready to put in the ear. You can also use zipties along the rod to keep it stiff

See our tutorial:
(1) How to: Posting Show Cropped Ears Using Backer Rod | Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums (dobermantalk.com)

Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Also, you really should only leave the posts in the ears 3 or 4 days, maybe 5, before taking them down and doing a new posting. Let the ears air out for 20 minutes or so and then tape them back up. You likely don't need that much tape and you may not need the bridge between his ears either.

But yes--if the posts pop out of his ears at the bottom, if the posting gets wet or muddy, or if you notice a bad smell, take them down right away and see what is going on.

If the posts pop out of the pup's ears and you leave it that way, it will make the posting job go all crooked. The only way to fix a post out of the ear is to start over--you can't just put more tape on to correct the problem.

Wet or muddy ears left that way can lead to an infection and a smell can indicate an infection is already starting up. That will need to be dealt with before you can post again.

Premium Member
Welcome to DT 310 and what a good looking pup ! The first thing I seen was the ears bending in and then reading Mel's post about if your using backer rod , To me , what ever you are using is not strong enough and its bending in , in the middle some . Like Mel said you need to tape the rod length wise , when I posted out new girl last summer till the End of Jan. I taped my backer 4 times per post - to get the strength I was looking for . You can use a zip tie to get the strength and use less tape , but I like the tape better for me . No longer than you have been posting them - I think they look very good , Like John said - you have many months yet to go . Hang in there , your doing good !

Super Moderator
No, ears look good so far. Make sure your posts are sturdy, and that you are stretching the ears up tall on the posts. You're doing a good job!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to DT 310 and what a good looking pup ! The first thing I seen was the ears bending in and then reading Mel's post about if your using backer rod , To me , what ever you are using is not strong enough and its bending in , in the middle some . Like Mel said you need to tape the rod length wise , when I posted out new girl last summer till the End of Jan. I taped my backer 4 times per post - to get the strength I was looking for . You can use a zip tie to get the strength and use less tape , but I like the tape better for me . No longer than you have been posting them - I think they look very good , Like John said - you have many months yet to go . Hang in there , your doing good !
Thank you it seem like he getting some sore and someone told me to leave them unpost for 3-4 days to heal a bit before the sores get worse

Attachments

Premium Member
310 ---- It looks like your pulling all his hair off his ears when removing the tape ?? Is that what I'm seeing ??? There is a product called Uni-Solve most on here use to put on the tape to de-sticky the tape and tape comes off and the hair stays on the dog , Yes - it does look sore to me

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
310 ---- It looks like your pulling all his hair off his ears when removing the tape ?? Is that what I'm seeing ??? There is a product called Uni-Solve most on here use to put on the tape to de-sticky the tape and tape comes off and the hair stays on the dog , Yes - it does look sore to me
That's the thing I do use Uni-Solve and massage the product on the post until they come of them self or he shakes and they fly off... but there is time when he is in his kennel and start scratching his post but only when he's in the kennel i wrap the tape loosely when I post them to not cut circulation.. so I don't know what I'm doing wrong? :(

Big Lil pup
Hi Dori

I've never used powder (eg Gold Bond) while posting, because it seems to affect the the stickiness of the tape needed to hold the posts in. Especially with a low tack tape like Zonas. However, I can't see how a little medicated powder on the back of the ear would not be worth trying.

Other than that... What greenkouki said ^^^^^^.

Keep up the good work.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just keep posting. You're doing a nice job!
Hi Dori

I've never used powder (eg Gold Bond) while posting, because it seems to affect the the stickiness of the tape needed to hold the posts in. Especially with a low tack tape like Zonas. However, I can't see how a little medicated powder on the back of the ear would not be worth trying.

Other than that... What greenkouki said ^^^^^^.

Keep up the good work.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
I might try that so I should keep posting even if they pretty sore or wait 3-4 days and try it again cuz right now they aren't posted since yesterday and the tips are curving in more, I'm scared to lose the progress.. but don't want to damage the ear or irritated more to the point it might get worse and i have to wait couple weeks for them to heal and post again

Premium Member
@Dori310, to piggyback on @4x4bike ped鈥檚 comment, when I was posting my pup鈥檚 ears, I lightly powdered the back of them using Caldesene Medicated Protecting Powder with Zinc Oxide and Cornstarch at the recommendation of the breeder who gave me hands-on posting lessons. Maybe give that a try?

Premium Member
310 - Lots of good info here and there is lots of ear poster in a lot higher pay grade than I : ))) But here is a idea , What I have found out is if a puppy is shaking its head - digging at posts - the posts are not in right - Like I did not stretch the ear up enough while taping ( that causes the post to get lose and bug the dog ) - OR I did not get the post all the way down in the ear OR I just did not wrap the tape tight enough - That got me thinking that you said you taped lose , when he is shaking r digging his ears - that could be why there is hair lose - the shaking is pulling it out . Also - When I used the Uni-Solve - I would use a ear wipe or a wet cloth to wipe any uni-solve off .

I know you have to be so , so careful to NOT get the tape to tight , still today - I worry about it every time I do it : ))

Like the others said - your doing good , just keep it up .

Premium Member
That's the thing I do use Uni-Solve and massage the product on the post until they come of them self or he shakes and they fly off... but there is time when he is in his kennel and start scratching his post but only when he's in the kennel i wrap the tape loosely when I post them to not cut circulation.. so I don't know what I'm doing wrong? :(
I think you aren't using enough UniSolve to saturate the tape--if you are using enough the tape should practically fall off. I wouldn't let him shake them loose--that will pull hair and the spots that are relatively hairless are more likely to develop sores if the dog is trying to scratch the ears.

If he only scratches the posting when he's kenneled I'd suggest that you actually put him in a e-collar when he's in the kennel. I generally don't ever put posted dogs in e-collars but in his case I think I'd do that.

And I definitely would not leave him unposted for 3 or 4 days--the thinning hair will grow back but at the point you are at with his posting, leaving his ears unposted will set you back substantially. Carefully powder just the thin spots that look sore only--use a q-tip and try not to get it everywhere--you really do need the tape to stick especially at the bottom of the posting.

I don't think you are doing anything specifically wrong--you just need to adapt what you are doing to deal with what your puppy is doing. Basically the ears look pretty good. I think I'd also stiffen the posts with maybe a piece of heavy duty zip tie, taped between the post material and the back taped section. Most zip ties have a slight curve (the big ones anyway so make sure that that curve faces outward to counteract the tendency for the ear to curve a little inward as it's presently doing.

dobebug

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you aren't using enough UniSolve to saturate the tape--if you are using enough the tape should practically fall off. I wouldn't let him shake them loose--that will pull hair and the spots that are relatively hairless are more likely to develop sores if the dog is trying to scratch the ears.

If he only scratches the posting when he's kenneled I'd suggest that you actually put him in a e-collar when he's in the kennel. I generally don't ever put posted dogs in e-collars but in his case I think I'd do that.

And I definitely would not leave him unposted for 3 or 4 days--the thinning hair will grow back but at the point you are at with his posting, leaving his ears unposted will set you back substantially. Carefully powder just the thin spots that look sore only--use a q-tip and try not to get it everywhere--you really do need the tape to stick especially at the bottom of the posting.

I don't think you are doing anything specifically wrong--you just need to adapt what you are doing to deal with what your puppy is doing. Basically the ears look pretty good. I think I'd also stiffen the posts with maybe a piece of heavy duty zip tie, taped between the post material and the back taped section. Most zip ties have a slight curve (the big ones anyway so make sure that that curve faces outward to counteract the tendency for the ear to curve a little inward as it's presently doing.

dobebug
Okay will do thank you!! will try the zip ties and making the backer rod more stiffer... the post gets bent because of the way he sleeps crazy in the kennel as well

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
Okayyy so I couldn鈥檛 buy the zip ties today but I posted his ears even after tiring him out he was difficult to post I had to but some lost tape for the bridge since he kept shaking his head because his ear keep flopping

Attachments

Big Lil pup
Dori...

Do you have anyone who can help you post Eros' ears. It's a lot easier with help. If not, one thing you can try, is to sit in a chair with your pup sitting between your knees and facing away from you. I have found that this position makes it a bit easier to maintain control.

Eventually, if you are calm and try to be positive, he will just sit and smile at you when you swap out his posts. LOL

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts