Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister-in-law has 4 dobies, and 2 of her youngest ones (2 yrs old) keep eating the mulch around her shrubs and trees! She says she cannot make them stop it, and she knows that it isnt a good thing--possibly even a terrible thing! I dont have that problem with mine, but wondered if anyone has had this problem and how do you stop it???

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
YUP definately have that problem!!! lol duchess likes to eat mud too...she doesnt get sick from it...the only thing is that if she eats a lot it will come out in her poop. at the dog park the play area is all mulch and i see a lot of dogs chowing down on sticks. We were wondering the same too about if it is normal...or how to stop it...
We do not treat our yard with any chemicals...so we don't have to worry about any bad yard chemical being ingested. the mulch is pretty much gone from the dog running by the bushes...and the weather...so we definately arent going to be having mulch in the yard anymore.
I don't know if there is a way to stop them...we just encourage duchess to play instead by using her favorite toy.
we were wondering if she eats the mulch and the mud just because or if she needs something in her diet...that she is missing...

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
If it is cocoa bean mulch it can be very dangerous. For the same reason choclate (sp) is because of the chemical theobromine. If it is this mulch they need to remove it. I think sometimes just regular mulch is treated with chemicals so I don't think it's a good thing.
Maybe try spraying the mulch with bitter apple or tabacco mixed with water. That may stop them, at least until it rains!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I knew about the cocoa bean mulch being dangerous, and chemicals that are possibly in it, but she was asking me how does she MAKE her dogs stop chewing around on it? I just didnt have an answer. I'll pass these replys on to her--possibly they will just have to replace the mulch with rock or something. Thanks for your quick replies!!!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I meant tabasco not tabacco..he he

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
2dobies said:
My sister-in-law has 4 dobies, and 2 of her youngest ones (2 yrs old) keep eating the mulch around her shrubs and trees! She says she cannot make them stop it, and she knows that it isnt a good thing--possibly even a terrible thing! I dont have that problem with mine, but wondered if anyone has had this problem and how do you stop it???
Mine occasionally eat mulch but normally when it is first put down. The kind most people buy around here has organic stuff in it.... like cow manure.

The problem I have the most is having them pull up my grass by the roots... does a number on the lawn. This past year, I started putting plastic Greyhound muzzles on them when they go outside - it keeps them from pulling up the grass and would probably work for eating mulch also. You have to realize that my dogs are never outside without me standing there watching them - I would not suggest muzzles if you are not watching the dogs.

The plastic Greyhound muzzles are nice because the dog can still drink, pant, and bark with one on.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
My dogs did this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I switched their food to Solid Gold, put them on Seameal....and they don't even look at it anymore! I was asking the same question a few months ago.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BackInBlack said:
My dogs did this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I switched their food to Solid Gold, put them on Seameal....and they don't even look at it anymore! I was asking the same question a few months ago.

I dont know what Seameal is! BackInBlack, could you clue me in?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.