Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lately Toby has been becoming over excited when someone gets out the car keys or go to go through the gate. Not with me, with me he will behave himself, though not always, sometimes he just gets so wound up he just goes bananas but I can usually bring him to heal and he calms down. But with my son and grandson it's another matter. Just now he jumped up at my grandson when he mentioned the 'Walkies' word. Then as my son walked to the car Toby jumped up and grabbed my sons hand and pulled on it. It wasn't a bite, but a pull down, but of course there is always the chance it could escalate.
I really do not understand why he is like this with my son and grandson. Admittedly they do nothing with him. My son used to play with Toby but has stopped since he started fighting with Russell and despite my asking my son to work with him, train with him he refuses as he has it in his mind that, that is somehow rewarding him for what he is doing to Russell. (he is a moron at times and this I swear is one of those times). My grandson has only just come onto the scene and despite my trying to educate him how to handle Toby the truth of it is he is taking his cue from his dad. Not a good idea in my opinion. I have sent off for the book 'Control Unleashed' and am trying to interest my son in helping me train Toby but in the interim I have to deal with this problem before my son blows a gasket and Toby goes one step too far and nips or worse bites in excitement.

By the way, with me his training /behaviour is coming on leaps and bounds and whilst I know some of you guys will think me dumb for this way of thinking I have started to wonder if he feels with me he cannot push the boundaries so he does it with others because he has no respect.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Jus
By the way, with me his training /behaviour is coming on leaps and bounds and whilst I know some of you guys will think me dumb for this way of thinking I have started to wonder if he feels with me he cannot push the boundaries so he does it with others because he has no respect.
I would disagree. Dogs typically do 'what works' - he has learned it does not work with you. He hasn't learned it doesn't work with others. I wouldn't make it more complicated than it really is - as far as WHY the dog is doing it.

I would control all interactions if you think it could get ugly with the humans :) Prevent it from happening, while training.

·
Got mutt?
13,840 Posts
Maybe you could try desensitizing him to the car keys? Randomly during the day, pick them up, jingle them once or twice, put them down, and walk off like nothing happened. If picking up the car keys always mean a ride, or that someone is leaving, then yeah, car keys are a big deal. But, if the car keys get picked up and handled randomly during the day, it gets to where the keys are no big deal.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would disagree. Dogs typically do 'what works' - he has learned it does not work with you. He hasn't learned it doesn't work with others. I wouldn't make it more complicated than it really is - as far as WHY the dog is doing it.

I would control all interactions if you think it could get ugly with the humans :) Prevent it from happening, while training.
So basically what you are saying is, I either make sure I am there to control the situation and if I am not, neither is Toby.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
So basically what you are saying is, I either make sure I am there to control the situation and if I am not, neither is Toby.
That is what I'd do if I sensed someone might get upest enough to act in a way I felt was inappropriate. OR if I thought my dog was gonig to be able to continue to act in an inproppriate matter that COULD turn dangerous. I'm pretty much a control freak with my dogs.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
I agree--I'm the control freak around here--most of the people who ever have to deal with my dogs are knowlegable Dobe owners and are also control freaks.

Along with the fact that dogs in general and Dobermans in particular will take do whatever works it's also the case that dogs, including Dobermans don't generalize well. So if anyone is not on the same page as you are with training, behavior etc it's going to be very hard to get the dog to behave as you expect (no jumping, no mouthing etc).

Good luck--family member are often the worst offenders.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Given that you've posted about more than one incident with your son, that's exactly what I'd do. I would also agree that handling the keys often to teach him that they aren't an exciting noise is a good idea, but you have to do it in a way that doesn't allow him to practice his bad behavior.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I always thought I was pretty knowledgeable when it came to owning dogs but then I got a Dobe and boy was that a wake up. Yes a great many things are the same, but then a great many things are not and this is where I think my son comes unstuck. Toby is far more sensitive than any dog we have ever owned before. Anything he does is assessed, quantified in relation to how high a value it has, pleasing mum, treat, etc and reacted too accordingly. (not sure if I am explaining this at all well so I apologise if what I say confuses) My son is used to dogs like our Terriers doing something just because he tells them too, (even though he has never trained them, I have always been the one responsible for the dog training). However, Toby doesnt work that way. Toby has to have a relationship with a person, other than they live in the same house but my son seems to think because he lives under the same roof Toby should jump when he says jump and do it willingly.
Most of the time Toby does what he asks, but more often than not he looks in my direction to see if it is what I want. If I nod, he will sit, he will stay, he will lay down, but if I am not there, he wavers and then my son becomes the big bad gruffalo who grouches and snarls and then goes completely over the top when Toby becomes over anxious or excited and that is usually when Toby says, 'no way chum, I am off,'
I just cannot seem to get it through to my son that he has to engage with Toby in order to get the best out of him. Maybe he will never be as obedient with him as he is with me, I am his mum, the one he velcros too, but if he just stops, gives Toby some time then he could well see an improvement, instead my son thinks the way to get Toby to behave is to start smacking him and I know enough to know this is not going to work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts