Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Duke has been doing great about going to sleep and sleeping all night in his crate but lately he has been barking. The only thing different is now he has supervised freedom in the house and a little bed near the couch. It seems like we took a step back in crate training in terms of the sleeping part. He does take naps in there during the day. He just barks really loudly. He obviously wants out. I usually do some fetch him him before he goes in and make sure he goes to the bathroom. Any advice?

What do you do?

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
First of all i would like to point out about the unfortunate wording of the title of this thread :)
All my girls are crate trained and in all honesty i would not have it any other way,now if Duke is barking bcuz you have put him in his crate then you go to see to see what is wrong it is him that has got a reaction so he barks more,the only way is to put up with the barking and to leave him be,i know it is hard but every time you go back even if it is to tell to be quiet he has got what he wants "attention" at 3 months you still have time to condition him to the crate but if you keep giving him what he wants when he barks you lose!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yep. What brum said. It's a little like a baby---ya know when they are doing that "fake" cry at nite. Everytime you go to give them attention, they just keep on doing it LOL.

I haven't crate trained Bruno (shame on me for not). But the way he goes to bed---is right by my side LOL. He has his own bed beside our bed. Which he will go in on command. But most nites I just let him cuddle with my husband and I. He loves it, not to mention he keeps my feet warm haha ;)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Exactly what Brum said. I put a sheet over his crate so he might feel safe. I did that with my blk boy and he was quite. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Ditto with Brum. Doodle did the bark constantly when he started crate training. It was annoying and hard to ignore. Makes you feel terrible to hear it. But you can't give in. Be wary of the sheet though. Some dogs do eat everything. I tried that with Doodle and he pulled it inside the slits of the kennel and shredded it. He can't be kenneled near anything cloth.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
ignore him. He will get better. If he keeps it up put a blanket over the crate.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java gets the blanket over the crate whenever she does that pitiful whining act. (During the winter I put an old flannel sheet over the mesh in her travel crate to keep out any drafts.) She is crate trained, but lately when we tell her it's 'bedtime', she will go to the side of me farthest from the crate, put her head on my leg and Doberlean in. Such an drama queen!!

Hubby is out of town so for first time I had her sleep at the end of the bed. Woke up at 5 am to find self clinging to edge of bed with a very content Java on her back, snoring away, paws in the air, all her weight against my side. Had to ease out and go to other side of bed where there was room for me! Learned my lesson....LOL!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
get him tired out! overly exhaust him with playing and taking a walk so that he will want to fall asleep....and maybe being put in a crate after being exhausted will be a relief to him like "OOOo Sllleeeep" lol.

duchess was a booger in the crate...we would put her in the crate at night when she looked like she was starting to fall asleep...and then she would yelp yelp whine yelp...sometimes she would stop quickly and eventually she obviously fell asleep cause there was no more whining...and other times if she REALLY didnt want to be in there I sat next to the crate with the door open enough that I could get my arm in there...I'd pet her and talked to her until she fell asleep...I dont know if that is recommended haha...I know your suppose to ignore them...but it didnt take too long and even if I didnt close the cage quietly enough she would wake up...whine a little...but go back to sleep by herself faster than before...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have you tried feeding in the crate?

I have always fed my dogs in their crates while crate training.

In addition to not giving in and letting him out when he makes noise. Try rewarding him by letting him out when he has been quiet for a bit. I find it works wonders.

Leslie

·
Banned
675 Posts
I just skip all that extra work and let the dog sleep on the bed. That usually means they'll sleep quietly all night.

With my first two IG puppies I tried to "crate train" them before I would let them sleep on the bed. I tried putting the crate next to the bed, covering the crate, keeping one of my hands in the crate, putting the crate in a room far, far away. Nothing made any difference. They screamed all night long, to the point that I didn't get any sleep and when the neighbors started inquiring about what was going on I realized I couldn't let it continue, so I let them sleep on the bed from that point on. In a traditional dog training sense they "won", but it didn't have a negative effect on crating them at other times. When I got my third IG puppy I decided to just skip the screaming part and let her sleep on the bed from her very first night there.

Monte the Doberman was very well crate trained before I got him, and maybe it's that or maybe it's just his temperament, but he will sleep in his crate, or he will sleep on my bed, either way, altho he prefers to sleep with me. But it wasn't anything I did, he came that way.

·
Registered
891 Posts
micdobe said:
I just skip all that extra work and let the dog sleep on the bed. That usually means they'll sleep quietly all night.
Rothflmao...to funny...but I understand!! My Mother due to her age got a Doxie so she could handle her...OMG this dog can scream for hours...months of trying to crate train her did no good. Her dog will not be ignored LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
Leslie said:
Have you tried feeding in the crate?

I have always fed my dogs in their crates while crate training.

In addition to not giving in and letting him out when he makes noise. Try rewarding him by letting him out when he has been quiet for a bit. I find it works wonders.

Leslie
I personally wouldn't do this as they eat out of boredom and come near pooping up the cage. But thats just me :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa earned free-range house priviliges about a month ago. Before that she slept in her crate. She sleeps on her dog-bed in the living room. No accidents yet.

She doesn't sleep on my "bed" because I sleep on the floor, and her bed is much more cushy.

But she does have a habbit of doing the watch-dog thing (barking) about an hour after I go to sleep. She's not doing it for attention, she hears or sees something that she thinks needs barking at.

Lately I have been drawing the shades and turning on the TV and tuning it between channels (ch 14 here) so it goes "ssshhhhhh" all night. This drowns out the sounds of the skunks or raccoons or whatever it is she hears at night. This way we both get a good night's sleep.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Chaz said:

But she does have a habbit of doing the watch-dog thing (barking) about an hour after I go to sleep. She's not doing it for attention, she hears or sees something that she thinks needs barking at.

Lately I have been drawing the shades and turning on the TV and tuning it between channels (ch 14 here) so it goes "ssshhhhhh" all night. This drowns out the sounds of the skunks or raccoons or whatever it is she hears at night. This way we both get a good night's sleep.
Funny you brought that up, Grace will do that from time to time (late, late at night)and scare the crap out of me, and when I'm home alone they really freak me out, they bark and growl and carry on at everything and nothing at all, when everyone is home they are sacked out on the couch!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
les strat said:
I personally wouldn't do this as they eat out of boredom and come near pooping up the cage. But thats just me
I feed their meals in the crate, so they learn to associate good things with the crate. They eat it in about 5 seconds and then come out and go outside. I have never had a puppy poop in it's crate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Duke has never had an accident in his crate. I feed him near his crate. He gets petted, toys and treats while in there. he just wants to come out with us. Its all in the way the evening goes that determines how he acts in the crate.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bruno will also do the mid night barking. If he hears something outside, he's on it before anyone else can hear it LOL. Which is a good thing. But my golly when you are in a dead sleep and hear him go. Your heart jumps ten feet from your chest LOL

He loves to snuggle up in bed with us. He doesn't take up TOO much space and always finds the lil nuks and cranny's to fit in. He sometimes even lays between us LOL On the really cold days, he sneaks his way under the blankets haha. He's such a cuddle bug :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
just like everyone has said, you have to ignore and he will soon learn that by remaining quite is the way to grab your attention not by barking. With stealth a put a large blanket over his cage to make him feel secure at night.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts