Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Donna D
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! We have always rescued. Now, we are being purposeful and mindful about our next Doberman. We have talked to 3 breeders/kennels. We like them all. 2 of the 3 we found on the breeder referral list from DPCA. We are novice. As far as not being listed as a breeder on DPCA - is that a deal breaker? Can you give me any tips on ways to differentiate, decide? Thanks in advance for your help and your patience with a newbie.

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
Are you looking in SC/NC/GA or out of the area and what is your time frame? I would contact Robyn at Notori dobermans as she's in your area (even though she breeds infrequently she's a great resource). The main thing at least for me is finding someone I click with and has the same attitude about the dogs as I do. Whatever breeder you choose will hopefully have a great relationship with you for the life of your puppy and possibly longer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The breeder I went with is not on the DCPA so that wasn't a deal breaker with me. Anyway, when I was narrowing down my choices, I looked at their dogs that were listed on Dobequest and looked to see what lines and what to possibly expect health wise. Granted, you won't find every little detail but for me, any little bit information was good. Also, I made a pros and cons list as well as searching here on DT on looking for others who got from x-y-z breeder/kennel.

I hope that helps a little bit for you.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
For me it's the dogs they breed and the health testing they do. I might not like a breeding after looking up the pedigrees in dobequest. Many breeders breed nonchalantly to dogs that died from DCM or whose parents may have died from DCM and that's fine for them, but not what I want in my breeding program.

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
Not being on the DPCA listing isn't a dealbreaker...there are great breeders that don't list there.

For me, it depends on what I'm looking for in a breeder, what the actual "pairing" is, and whether I click with the breeder. My first priority is the pedigree, the longevity/health, avoiding certain dogs/lines. Then I look at the personality of the dogs being bred, and what's behind them. I'm looking for certain things, because I do compete with my dogs. Then I want a certain personality in the puppy, and I need a breeder that can identify that. And I want a breeder that I can have a particular type of relationship with, too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having just gone through this, I:
- searched DCPA in my target zone eastern seaboard, then Midwest for breeders that would have litters in my preferred time window and made a spreadsheet to track each of them.
- then, I searched this forum for mentions of the shortlisted breeders to get ‘expert’ opinions and populated my spreadsheet with details and narrowed down the list.
- then, I visited websites or facebook pages of the further streamlined list to read about the people, the health testing, the temperament, and their contract/conditions (I wanted a breeder who was going to be super selective about where there dogs go and grill me about dog care) and scored each breeder on that criteria.
- then, I searched for at least one of the parents on DobeQuest and PedigreeDatebase to see what research they had regarding longevity and testing and updated my doc. EDIT TO ADD: Even, if I don’t find both parents, I requested health testing/OFA paperwork on both parents and if a breeder didn’t have it readily available, I moved on to the next.
- then, I contacted the final list via email.
- if they responded, I filled out their applications and provided references and vet information to those who got back to me (and told my references that they may be contacted).
- and then, I waited to be contacted about available red male pups whose parents had been health tested “up the whazoo” literally and figuratively :wink2:
- finally, I chose a breeder and a puppy and paid my deposit....and puppy arrives tomorrow.
- now, I get to obsess about a whole new set of puppy-related issues and get to make a NEW spreadsheet.

Hope this helps!

·
ಠ_ಠ
6,564 Posts
I contacted the local chapter of the breed club and got my referral that way.

Now that I've gotten to know breeders better, were I to get another Dobe, I'd go much further afield.

·
Super Moderator
21,134 Posts
I think some of the important things to note so far are -

What's important to one person isn't necessarily important to the next person, AND THAT'S OKAY. We aren't all looking for the same things. There aren't hard and fast rules. It would sure make it easier, but, there simply aren't!

I've found this to be a really helpful read: https://www.dobermantalk.com/breeding-breeders/302410-how-do-you-find-responsible-breeder.html#post4013930

And, I've really found it helpful to talk to breeders. Have a conversation, preferably at least over the phone. Talk "over text" can be misunderstood so easily. Get to know someone. Ask them about their dogs. Ask them what they are trying to accomplish when they breed. What are their goals, both short term and long? What do they do with their puppies when they are raising them? Try to get a sense of them "as a breeder." I find it helpful to know more about them...are they super picky about what you feed your dog? How you make decisions? Do you want that? On the other hand, if you call them or text and say, "is this normal for your dogs?" do they have an answer because they know their "lines" well? Would you want that? (I do).

What kinds of early experiences do their puppies have? Are they having outings (safely) to experience all kinds of different things? Do they have CDs played of different sounds? What kinds of people do they meet?

There's a lot that goes into a dog's temperament - genetics, and very early experiences.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
As far as not being on the DPCA breeder list goes--that would not be any kind of deal breaker for me. A good many very good breeders aren't on the list simply because they only breed infrequently.

Since I've been showing Dobes for many years my requirement would be pretty different. I see dogs at shows, I see and know a lot of breeders. So I'd be looking at breeders who are breeding lines that I know and like.

And it also means I'd be looking for longevity and health and breeders who test and tell and have at hand and know exactly what the breeding pair have been tested for.

The spreadsheet idea is a good one (which I'd probably never be organized enough to actually do) and a breeder you click with makes it a lot easier to get what you want if you have specific things (like a red puppy dog).

Generally my requirements are pretty broad. Male, show prospect. The only thing I really looked for and I did for many years was a fawn show prospect--it took a long time getting there but the dog I got met all of my requirements.

I know from other peoples searches that if you have very narrow wants it's going to limit the number of puppies that would fit your parameters.

dobebug

·
Donna D
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All (greenkouki, yuki_cos, Gretchen_Red, MeadowCat, MMcCown, falnfenix, MeadowCat. dobebug) you have ALL helped me so much (here and just reading your wisdom on other threads) HUGE THANK YOU!!! Here is the progress on breeder hunting:

I DID connect with Robyn of Notori Dobermans right here in SC, THANK YOU!!! I cannot believe that our paths have not already crossed. She has been so enlightening ... giving us things to think about that we'd have never thought to even think about! But now that we know, that piece of the puzzle makes sense (as far as genetics) Turns out she knows 2 of the 3 breeders we had interest in... 2 are in GA, one in NC. After that conversation, we narrowed down to 2 and one has a litter RIGHT NOW and that is just too fast for us (having just lost our sweet Michaela Sept. 14th at 10 to cancer)

I FELT like I SHOULD HAVE a spreadsheet.... but that's just not my brain. Excel spreadsheet folks: you're just better people than me! I did not get the "detailed and organized" gene.

I took all the advice and shared wisdom into consideration..... There is so much to learn! We started out not knowing ANYTHING about Same Sex Aggression or Litter Mate syndrome... I am sure this saved us from mistakes. We are on this journey to learn and it is good that we are pacing ourselves. We are "on the list" for a pup in late winter/early spring.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I FELT like I SHOULD HAVE a spreadsheet.... but that's just not my brain. Excel spreadsheet folks: you're just better people than me! I did not get the "detailed and organized" gene.
Ha! Neither did I, but I’ve found that the older I get the more I can fall victim to information overload and decision paralysis:grin2: A spreadsheet makes that easier to handle.

Thanks for sharing your process and it will be exciting when the time is right. That’ll be one lucky pup!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ooh, that's exciting! Congrats on everything and now the fun waiting game begins!

Reactions: MMcCown

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
All (greenkouki, yuki_cos, Gretchen_Red, MeadowCat, MMcCown, falnfenix, MeadowCat. dobebug) you have ALL helped me so much (here and just reading your wisdom on other threads) HUGE THANK YOU!!! Here is the progress on breeder hunting:

I DID connect with Robyn of Notori Dobermans right here in SC, THANK YOU!!! I cannot believe that our paths have not already crossed. She has been so enlightening ... giving us things to think about that we'd have never thought to even think about! But now that we know, that piece of the puzzle makes sense (as far as genetics) Turns out she knows 2 of the 3 breeders we had interest in... 2 are in GA, one in NC. After that conversation, we narrowed down to 2 and one has a litter RIGHT NOW and that is just too fast for us (having just lost our sweet Michaela Sept. 14th at 10 to cancer)

I took all the advice and shared wisdom into consideration..... There is so much to learn! We started out not knowing ANYTHING about Same Sex Aggression or Litter Mate syndrome... I am sure this saved us from mistakes. We are on this journey to learn and it is good that we are pacing ourselves. We are "on the list" for a pup in late winter/early spring.
Great to hear! I know that Schohaus has a couple litters towards the end of the year, don't know if she mentioned them. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,287 Posts
I've been out of town for two weeks, so missed this post - you got a lot of good advice. Good luck to you.

Reactions: melbrod
1 - 14 of 14 Posts