Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been below zero here for a week now and no end in sight! My girl is going crazy and so am I. We are up at 7:00 get the kids to school, she goes with me and back home. Play time starts, then we train for 30-45 mins., after that she starts to lose interest. We train morning and afternoon. she knows all the basics, sit, down, wait, stand (i say up), heel, (great inside, still working in public with distractions), come, (needs work on recall- big priority), high five, bang bang (plays dead). Then she just wants to go out. Like I said it has been below freezing. We do go out in the yard and play for maybe 10 mins., but that is all I will allow since the temps are so bad. We get back in and she is immediately scratching at the door. Which also is making me crazy, she used to just whine to go out, now we have scratching. Not happy about that, so any help with that problem would be appreciated, as well. I do work from home so I need to kennel her a couple of hours a day, but don't want to more than necessary. Would like her to be able to have down time out of kennel. Anyway, I am considering getting a treadmill. What are pros and cons? Sorry so long!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh Wrigley will be 6 mos. on Saturday. Next level of obedience class doesn't start until the 18th...

·
Registered
8,627 Posts
WAY TOO YOUNG for a treadmill, sorry.

They should be atleast 18 months, preferably 2 for any forced exercise like that.

Bundle up, you and her, and get that puppy outside moving! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WAY TOO YOUNG for a treadmill, sorry.

They should be atleast 18 months, preferably 2 for any forced exercise like that.

Bundle up, you and her, and get that puppy outside moving! :)
Thanks Leanne. That is what I was most curios about. Here we come cold! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
What Leeanne said. That's what I do. I bundle up, put a fleece under a sweater and a snood on Wheeler and we head for the local dog park.

Fortunately, I am self-employed, so I take him during the week, when nobody else is there, since I don't do Dog Parks, (which is pretty much the case all the time in this weather). I walk the perimeter both for exercise and to keep warm and Wheeler runs and runs and runs. We both last about an hour, and that hour makes W much easier to live with.

Good Luck and have fun playing in the snow!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Does she know how to settle and relax? I have a Vizsla that needed to be taught how to settle.

Also one thing that helps mentally tire mine out is doing shaping games with a clicker. You can pick anything to shape. Right now I"m just working on basics: back up and bow.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Easy !
Lots of layers, and OUT you go :)

In the winter here, it gets down to -25 often... we only stop going out at -15. Anything higher than that is tolerable !

Just Be brave :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
it's been unbelieveably cold in PA. I take my guys out in spirts, usually about 15 minutes at a time, several times. I'll take out their throw toys and play a game of fetch which gets them running all over the yard. :)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I took my two out in -25 with the windchill. They had their coats on and really it didn't bother them, we just kept moving. I find right now that their hair is longer and thicker and can handle the cold a little better. I don't normally go for more than a 1/2 - 3/4 hour walk, mostly because I am freezing at that point!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I agree with the outside bundling up and moving to keep warm. Is your house big enough to chase each other or fetch? Sometimes when it's just pouring buckets outside we will placate Silas temporarily with some indoor playtime - running, chasing, stalking, fetch, tug. (We don't condone craziness in the house unless we initiate.) Then I give him a chewy distraction.

Do you ever give her things to chew on, like stuffed kongs, puzzle toys, or bully sticks? They can help, too.

Oh, and try hide and seek! Practice with something easy like a favorite toy or bully stick, show her, put her out of the room and stay (good practice for this). Then go and hide the object in another room. Bring her in and encourage her to "find it!" Eventually she'll get better at it and you can hide them with increasing difficulty. At first it may need to be obvious. We used to do this a lot with our GSD - we ended up just doing it with her kong or favorite ball and not using food at all. She loved the game, as we got all excited when she found it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here in the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon, it gets below zero quite a bit. We just bundle up and go anyway. If we didn't it would be "out of control" in this house. I have a 3 mile loop we do, and I also us the high school football field and track. The cold doesnt bother them. They love it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we did it! Got bundled up and out we went. I don't have a snood or doggie coat for her so my sons hooded sweatshirt worked just fine - lol!

I don't like this thing, Mom!

Do you really expect me to play in this thing?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Good for you! We went out also, cold, snowy and 18" on the ground. Only good thing is that W is ready to quit after about 30 minutes of running (bounding) through 18" of snow. Me too -- walking through that much snow is a great workout!

Well we did it! Got bundled up and out we went. I don't have a snood or doggie coat for her so my sons hooded sweatshirt worked just fine - lol!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
My guys LOVE to go out in the snow and cold. We bundle up and I also pack paws with Vaseline to keep snow from packing in them. I also call them back to me and check ears to make sure they are not to cold.
Little idea for you. If you use Human shirts or sweatshirts for your dog. Cut up the back 1/4 of the way from waist toward head and tie the two pieces of the shirt together for a snug fit. Keeps them from stepping on the under side of the shirt and tripping or getting them off all together.

Reactions: Whisper'smom

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
How do you teach that?
You'll probably get a lot more help posting a new thread on that topic. This thread is old, and is about playing outside in the cold.

·
Registered
732 Posts

WOW... Those pictures are hilarious....
reminds me of one of my daughters favorite movies...."Kangaroo Jack"...LOL...
the good thing about Florida... no snow!...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts