Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Currently, I do not have a Doberman but they're at the top of my list of breeds to one day have. Others on the list include Argentine dogo, Brussels griffon, Pharoah hound, Boston terrier and Rottweiler.

I have never bought a dog, and don't think I ever will given the fact there are so many needing homes. Having been up to Doberman Rescue Unlimited in NH, I know where to start when I'm ready for a Dobe.

My first dog was a shar pei who taught me so much about training and managing with dog aggression. She died of lymphosarcoma when she was only 5.

Mainly, I've had pit bulls since along with a random mixed breed and short term fosters.

Before I fully peruse the forum, I am concerned there may be a consensus of people who oppose pit bulls and/or support breed specific legislation based on some past experiences with Dobe owners. If those are common sentiments here, my stay will be short and bitter.

Yes, I may be starting off on the wrong foot, but I cannot get my head around people who approve of discrimination that their breed once suffered and their lack of empathy toward owners of other unnecessarily feared breeds.

Yikes, sorry for being so dour. Hope my stay here is long, illuminating and mainly positive. :)

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
huh? Have you spent any time reading this forum?

Before I fully peruse the forum, I am concerned there may be a consensus of people who oppose pit bulls and/or support breed specific legislation based on some past experiences with Dobe owners. If those are common sentiments here, my stay will be short and bitter.

Yes, I may be starting off on the wrong foot, but I cannot get my head around people who approve of discrimination that their breed once suffered and their lack of empathy toward owners of other unnecessarily feared breeds.

Yikes, sorry for being so dour. Hope my stay here is long, illuminating and mainly positive. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA!
There are people on this forum will all different breeds of dog. I don't believe anyone here discriminates that way. Everyone here is a dog lover :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Welcome from Texas.

I'll be honest, your first post irked me and here's why.
We love dogs here, ALL dogs. Heck, I want to own a Pit Bull in the future but am waiting until I've got myself settled.
I've been on MANY dog forums and this is one of maybe two forums I've been on where I have yet to see any Pit Bull hate. We once had a guy come and accuse certain members of hating pitties and he was quite wrong.

It's good that you're here as you have a lot to learn. Yes, our breed once suffered discrimination but they still do. The dobermans might not get as much sh*t thrown towards them as the pitties do but that doesn't mean that it's not happening. I'll be honest, you kind of are starting out on the wrong foot (at least with me). You join a forum and immediately bring up what can be a very controversial issue. This is a small pet peeve of mine. However, what really bugs me is that you're worried about discrimination of your breed, something that raises it's ugly head all the time when people just assume things about pitties without taking the time to give them the chance. All the while you're kind of doing the same thing to us. Not about our dogs, but about the users here.

Given your warm welcome, it was justified.
We love new members, we love pictures and stories about people's dogs (even if they aren't dobermans), and we love talking about dobies. How about you stop looking for issues where there are none and enjoy this very informative forum.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
PR, the majority of us here are not prejudice against bully breeds but if you dig around you'll see in some of the pit bull discussions that there have been members who are strongly opposed to pit bulls. It doesn't make sense to me at all when you harbor that resentment and judgment towards a breed when you yourself have a breed that was actually bred to bite/attack people! And if you look up the stabdard for APBT and AST it even states that they make poor guard dogs because they are too friendly with strangers! People are idiots.

I think in the thread I posted about Prime's pit bull attack there were some pit bull haters.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me at all when you harbor that resentment and judgment towards a breed when you yourself have a breed that was actually bred to bite/attack people! And if you look up the stabdard for APBT and AST it even states that they make poor guard dogs because they are too friendly with strangers! People are idiots.
These are my feelings exactly.

As to pit haters being around, I guess I got here after the majority of that stuff was said since I really can't recall seeing negative stuff about pits. I feel like if there was a big thing while I was around I'd remember it.

The rest of my points in my first post still stand though.

·
Got mutt?
13,814 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Considering that most of the people on this forum own Dobes, and several also own either pits or AmStaffs, or GSDs, or other breeds on the "list", and some, like me, have mutts that would be targeted under BSL, I'm pretty sure that MOST of them are against it. Stick around, it's a good place to learn alot.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
I totally agree with ZeldaRules! I, personally, love Pit Bulls and Amstaffs, and hope to work with their rescues someday. Most people think that one would want to read a forum for a bit before joining it, thus ascertaining the general personalities, mood, etc. The way you jumped on here is a bit abrasive. We love new members, and there are many many people here with loads of valuable information. No need for you to be instantly defensive.

But anyway, welcome!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't really see what your question is. But no I don't hate pit bulls. I love them. Like I love all dogs. If it wasn't for my love of the dobermann breed I would probably own one.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

As a whole yeah, you won't find hatred directed at other dogs here. Your first post was a bit on the wrong foot, even though I understand where you're coming from, having owned Dobermans for ten years now, and having had a rottie mix before that. Hearing that you expect all Doberman owners to be like the pit-bull hating ones you met before, well... I feel like a pit bull myself here. Don't paint all of us with the same brush, please. Dobermans get their fair share of BS directed at them too. That new movie with one as a vicious guard dog sure isn't helping us any right now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
How do you feel about pit bulls?
Well, I love 'em...

I've found that this is a forum for not only doberman lovers, but a forum full of people that are passionate about dogs, no matter what the breed.

They let me hang out, and I'm not a doberman owner...

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Welcome to the forum. All of the forum members are huge dog people. Most pit bull haters have never spent time with one. My first love was a Pit Bull. He was a wonderful companion, guardian and teacher for 13 years. He was wonderful with everyone and everything. He didn't have an aggressive bone in his body. He has been gone for almost 3 years and I miss him dearly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Most of the forum loves all animals... big, small... dogs, cats, horses, goats, ducks... :)

I stick up for my bully breeds constantly, and oppose BSL for all breeds.

Someday maybe I'll have a pittie - right now this Doberteen keeps me plenty busy, though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts