Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this up the other night before the upgrade. So giving it another shot now!

I'm interested to hear how everyone arrives at the name they've chosen for their fur families.

• Is it open to group discussion (in families) or does head of household (whoever she may be) have the final say?
  • Do you have a name chosen prior to arrival of said dog/cat/horse/insert chosen species here?
  • Do you have someone in the family banned from naming rights, because their suggestions are so lame?
Looking forward to hearing your comments.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As I'm being so nosey, I'll go first.

We tend to have a family discussion on any namings. Our first cat just after we got married was Joplin, named after Janis. Then the kids came along, and lived with Joplin for a lot of years until she died. Got the next cat, kids called her Joplin (they were very young at the time, and not terribly adventurous!)
Next was a Cornish Rex by the name of Ariel, which is a moon of Uranus. Daughter found that in a book. First dobe was Dione, a moon of Saturn. Then a Rotti called Calypso, a moon of Saturn........pattern forming. Sakai our little feral, is named after one of the Iron Chefs. Jeddah came to us with her name, which we liked and kept. We visited a place in the Northern Territory called Jeddah Rock years ago when we did the Kombi around Australia trip. So it's a name that holds good memories for us.

My husband is no longer allowed to name any animals - he named our blue tongue lizzard, Keith. We had Keith for about ten years after we rescued him out of the swimming pool, he couldn't be rereleased. We had a stray Bull Terrier for a while many years ago, he named it Rodney. He has always wanted to name any future male dogs, Barry. So you can see why he is on the banned list! :)

·
Extraordimary
4,924 Posts
I generally name the puppies at my house, although I have allowed my husband to have a little bit of input now and then. Generally, his suggestions are lame (IMO) but I did name a puppy a name that he wanted so that he'd allow me to keep said puppy! And that's how I ended up with a dog named Zeke, a name I really can't stand.

Sometimes I have names chosen well in advance (I have a list!). Other times, inspiration hits at the last minute. Sometimes their name ties in to a parent's name, sometimes I go in a completely new direction.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
* Is it open to group discussion (in families) or does head of household (whoever she may be) have the final say?

* Do you have a name chosen prior to arrival of said dog/cat/horse/insert chosen species here?

* Do you have someone in the family banned from naming rights, because their suggestions are so lame?
My dog and my second cat came named already! We wanted to change Gracie's name at first but 1)it fits her so well and 2)we are hoping that some day she will become gracful! (We haven't seen it yet but we can still hope)

Cubby my male cat, he came to me with the name Billy Bad Ass. Because he would rip around my Mom's house and attack every one and anyone. He would go after his own mother just to prove he is top cat. I didn't like the name Billy Bad Ass for a few reasons.

Anyways we (When I say we I really mean me.) were over at a friends house one day. Hubby and his friend were talking about going bear hunting. Then they decided not to go bear hunting because they didn't want to shot a mother bear and leave all the "cubby's" to fend for them selves! After I heard the word "cubby" I was dead set on that as a name for my animal no matter what it was going to be. So a few months later I got Billy Bad Ass and changed his name within 5 minutes of having him to Cubby! Now the name fits him sorta.

All names are open to discussion as long as I am the one discussing and hubby isn't! :) We also (again I mean me) have a list of names for my next non-named animal. Also he is not allowed to pick out names. Some times I let him tell me a few names but I really don't listen to much to his names. I just let him have a little bit of fun. Lol. :tongue23:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
What my family usually does is choose 2 names each that we really like and then share them with eachother. Whatever name everyone likes th most is the one we name our dog. Winston came with his name though and he's already 8 so we didn't want to change it on him. The family did name Keeva, Tango and Tia though.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My daughter and I usually end up arguing over names all the while Mark says he has no opinion and it's our choice (of course after a name has been decided he gets VERY opinionated).
I wanted to name Petri Toulouse (I love Toulouse Lautrec). His legs were slightly deformed when we got him (what with living in a tiny cage and not getting proper nutrition and all) and he's little so I figured that Toulouse was the perfect name. She on the other hand wanted to name him Petri from "The Land Before Time" now since that Petri has wings (big eared pooch :) ) and was scared of everything (oh so an apt description) I finally relented.
YoYo was pretty easy. I had a siamese when I was her age and she wanted to name him after mine and since we got him specifically for her I figured it was her choice.
Chihiro was a hard one though... I wanted to name her Hero (from Much Ado About Nothing, yes I am a nerd) and Mark actually chimed in and wanted to name her after Storm. Jordan flip flopped on all kinds of names ranging from Muffin to Shelia... After I insisted upon Hero, Jordan came up with Chihiro from her favorite movie "Spirited Away". I figured since it was close enough to Hero and since she is Japanese by birth I could give in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well our Dobie was the 1st pet we have gotten together ..Michael had be recoiling with Horror at some of the names he was suggesting but we finally got down to Harvey..we chose it because it just seemed to fit him and also his surname is Hopes so the whole name flowed nicely..

He gets called all sorts of unofficial names in between though .like stinky bum, poochy poo, sweet cheeks, The Harvster, Twinkletoes (hence the username) etc :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
My husband is no longer allowed to name any animals
lol It's the same deal in this household! After he named his dog Scooby and the snakes, Bonnie and Clyde, I told him he wasn't creative enough to name the animals. ;)

Some of them, the name is already chosen before they join our family and others earn their names after they're here. We had a foster cat that had been hit by a car and had lost most of the use of her rear hind leg. She didn't have a name and I got about a million suggestions from friends but none of them fit her. It wasn't until I realized she had such an unique gait from her accident that she took the name 'Peach Hobbler' or Peaches for short.

Fallon, Ava, Xavier and Natala all got their names from a baby name book. It was partly me liking the name but mostly it was their personalities meshing with it.

Mitzi and Sampson had both come with their names and they fit them so well, they weren't about to be changed.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have converations on the way home with new pets and decide the name with the animal. I try to use names that impart a personality trait I want the animal to have.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Molari said:
I have converations on the way home with new pets and decide the name with the animal. I try to use names that impart a personality trait I want the animal to have.
LOL Molari,
I do the same thing! :) (not really where the name comes from but there are conversations none-the-less)... Pretty much goes like... Wow (insert puppy or kitty here) we are so lucky to have you... You're pretty lucky to have us to :) There are a few rules though, no biting, not never, ever, ever, ever... I would prefer you to go potty outside (or in litter box) but if you just can't manage that I'm sure we'll find a way to work around it... In return for following these 2 simple rules you will get a life time of couch and good food, lots and lots of love and spoiling....

·
Super Moderator
15,329 Posts
TracyJo said:
Petri Toulouse (I love Toulouse Lautrec). His legs were slightly deformed when we got him (what with living in a tiny cage and not getting proper nutrition and all) and he's little so I figured that Toulouse was the perfect name.
gotta love henri t-latrec and the other post impressionists :) i've never thought of it that way but maybe the next pet will be named after an artist (no not like vincent, pablo, or jackson... something good maybe a german eh?)
toulouse would be a really good name for a dauschund or a corgi... you nailed the leg thing

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
well, the Very first Dog that I ever got to name was a little silver poodle.. I was around 14 at the time and we had just lost a male poodle to old age (we had him for around 2 years and thought he was only around 5 when he died suddenly the vet told us he was really about 16 and blind for years but that is another funny story for another time) Okay back to the poodle. Mom and I were driving home with this cute little poodle on my lap and Mom kept coming up with dumb names like Maggie, or Marge, well, after awhile, I spoke up and said why don't we call her DD.. Mom thought it was great and I was LMBO.. I said Mom it is not DEE DEE it is D. D.-- Mom just didn't understand I said it stands for Damn Dog.. Because every time the puppy does something bad you will be saying-- Look what that Damn Dog did!! Get that Damn Dog outside! ect... So the poor girl, on her AKC papers it is Damn Dog.. That was the first time I ever cused in front on my Mother too.. God rest her great soul and the soul of DD who died at age 16.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Okay I didn't want the other post to get too long.. We have two 11year old cats now.. TT who is named for Tinkerbell a cat that was 17 when she died and Tiffany who was 15 when she died.. We lost both cats within 3 months of each other.. We also have CC who was named when we got her.. and that is one of the reasons we picked her at the pound.. it went so well with TT.
Now I usually name the dogs also.. I am not really sure why it just happens that way.. Our almost 5 year girl is Raven because she is so dark black.. AKC name is Raven Black Beauty of Mine.. Then came Spirit.. I really wanted to name him Midnight because he was black also but it just didn't fit.. So he is Spirit of the Midnight Warrior.. Then Gypsy.. she was a surprise gift. and my daughter named her.. She is Gypsy Blue Rose.. the Blue is because her eyes were blue till she turned 1.. and then we have Iris our Blue girl.. I just thought Iris was a cool name for a blue.. Akc name is MS. Foxy Blue Iris.. MS is because we got her from Mississippi Foxy because she is so quick and the blue because she is a blue..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These responses are exactly what I've always found with animal lovers. We put just as much time and consideration into choosing our furry families names, it's similar to when I was selecting names for our children. Mind you, had to keep husband on a very short leash in that area as well.:tongue23:

It's been great reading everyones posts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts