Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently joke that Chi is OCD and HAS to have something in her mouth all the time - An exaggeration really, she doesn't have something in her mouth ALL the time but most of the time :)

It is a very cute and endearing trait but is becoming somewhat annoying. We've never encouraged this behavior really - have actually tried to discourage it verbally but I'm really not sure how to go about eliminating it.

Here's out morning routine - Wake up, outside to potty, food, back outside for #2 and then about 30-45 min later, she goes back to her kennel for an hour or so while I get the kiddo ready and off to school. During that 30-45 min, she brings me stuff. Right now I have both remotes, 3 shoes, a water gun and a dishtowel sitting either on the desk beside me or at me feet that she has "delivered" in the past 15 minutes. Currently she's wiggling circles through the house with shoe #4. She'll wiggle/walk around with her head up and ears back, obviously very pleased with herself for a minute or two before she delivers unless I ask her to bring it to me - if I don't ask for it she'll drop it, bug Petri for a few minutes and then pick whatever it is up and start the wiggle walk again. She doesn't chew this stuff up, she just brings it to me.
Let me add too. As soon as I let her out of her kennel, she'll race to the bottom of the steps and without missing a step, pick a shoe up off the rack by the front door and wiggle walk to the back to go outside. Just now, I showed her a tennis ball and launched it down the hall - she chased after it and then stood over it trying to figure out how to pick it up without dropping the shoe - she came back with the shoe.

I realize this could be a valuable behavior if I can modify it. I would love to teach her to pick up the shoes and place them in a basket by the front door or find and return the remotes (which she almost always looses if we don't ask her for them LOL) and put them back on the end table.

Any advice on how to either end or modify this behavior would be greatly appreciated. It's certainly not something we absolutely can not live with but I'm thinking life would be easier if we didn't have to :)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
LOL I think it sounds cute but I am sure it is not when you are the recipient of this behaviour. Wow you are right, something valuable could come of it if she were trained to clean up the house. ;)

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Oooh, you need to go get the book "Dog Tricks for Dummies" You could teach her to pick up laundry, bring you a drink, all kinds of stuff!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My Yellow Lab brings back skunks.

I wish she'd bring me something useful like my shoes or the paper.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I dont know how to change it...but when someone comes home Duchess will greet us by picking up a sock we left behind as if it was the only thing she had left of ours and starts prancing around like you described...if anything when she picks stuff up, and steals our socks she definately wont bring them to us lol she'd rather race to the stairs and would rather fall asleep with the sock in her mouth than to actually give it to us. lol. I agree with BIB lol whenever she is heading to go pick something up say "go get the ______" and when she does say "bring it here" lol maybe she will catch on that its another thing that is only done when its asked of her lol. and it will look impressive lol.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Also TracyJo, if you do infact get Chi trained to clean the house you best lock her up tight cause we all will be trying to snatch that one up *grin*

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
lol yeah thats true! maybe she is just trying to motivate you or make it so eventually youll have to go through the pile of junk she is getting frustrated laying all over the house!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Chaz said:
My Yellow Lab brings back skunks.

I wish she'd bring me something useful like my shoes or the paper.
LOL, glad I'm not the only one that has that problem...my male Rush killed a skunk a couple of weeks ago, then the puppy, Razzle, brought it into the house..I almost had to be sedated when I found a dead skunk in my house.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
speaking of that there was a big rabbit in our yard that must of found its way in somehow through a bigger spot along the fence...and coco was RACING around Chasing it around the shed and then the Duch saw it too and they were both AFTER it! I thought for sure they were going to come back with it although Im not sure what they'd do with it. Luckily it got out before the dogs caught it...Im sure the dogs if anything would have just trampled it or pounce on it too hard... glad I didnt have to find out!

·
Registered
880 Posts
TracyJo, have you tried looking for the zipper in her coat? That's gotta be a golden hiding in there! :p

If you want her to stop bringing you all that stuff and toying around with it, stop her from getting it in her mouth in the first place. Train with her for a solid "off" or "leave it" as well as "drop it".
Teach her that there are acceptable items for her to put in her mouth, such as her doggy toys only, and there are things that plain and simple do not belong in her mouth, every thing else.
Perhaps for the couple of weeks while you're training her for this, keep her on a leash and near you when in the house. Avoid at all costs to provide her with the opportunity to pick what ever she feels like.

You could work with her on down stays as well as a way of keeping her from comming up with her own games. When she does a good down stay, play a fetch game with her on your own terms and with an item of your choice.

She obviously wants something to do and is just itching to get your attention. Give her a job to do! You could teach her to pick up all the socks on command, or other specific items. Just make sure she's doing it when you ask her to, not when she feels like it and just wants to get your attention.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Get her some cooking lessons after you have trained her to clean up and you will have the perfect dog,in fact the family could send you to the pound,unless they want to keep you as a pet of course!
:emo11: :help_up_2 :bouncesgr :largegr:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
brumwolf said:
Get her some cooking lessons after you have trained her to clean up and you will have the perfect dog,in fact the family could send you to the pound,unless they want to keep you as a pet of course!
HAHAHAHAHAHA! :punk:

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Zucker said:
If you want her to stop bringing you all that stuff and toying around with it, stop her from getting it in her mouth in the first place. Train with her for a solid "off" or "leave it" as well as "drop it".
Teach her that there are acceptable items for her to put in her mouth, such as her doggy toys only, and there are things that plain and simple do not belong in her mouth, every thing else.
Perhaps for the couple of weeks while you're training her for this, keep her on a leash and near you when in the house. Avoid at all costs to provide her with the opportunity to pick what ever she feels like.

She obviously wants something to do and is just itching to get your attention. Just make sure she's doing it when you ask her to, not when she feels like it and just wants to get your attention.
I totally agree. We teach the dogs their teeth only belong on their toys, and keep LOTS of toys around so they have variety. We have a toy box and drawer full of toys that we rotate. We also make sure the house is pretty much always clean of socks and other stuff on the floor during the training period, just makes the job easier. I do make sure they have all sorts of different material of toys to play with, metal, plastic, stuffies, etc. Helps with obedience training later if they are used to carrying metal, plastic, and wooden objects.

With some dogs this is easier than with others. Some might require a leash and might need extra supervision. Some "get it" right away. So if you want her to stop make it clear this is not acceptable behavior and don't let her do it anymore.

Maybe buy some extra toys and safe chew bones so she can have something to do. Up the training. Sounds like she wants your attention and knows that is a way to get. Fetch with an object of your choice sounded like a great suggestion to me.

A Lab I know does this SAME thing. She is now three. When she wants attention she will pick up their things and wave them in front of their faces, trying to get a reaction. If they ignore her long enough, she will either give up or in her younger years, she would chew the items. Now they just try to keep everything picked up, but she still will find things occasionally. It was obvious with her she wanted attention, good or bad, and wanted it NOW. lol.

Dobes love attention and do all sorts of things to try and get it, maybe most of you have a Dober nose in your lap right now or poking at your keyboard, wanting to be petted =) I love that about Dobes, their velcro-ness.

But if you don't want random objects to keep being brought to you, then train her not to, maybe ignoring will work with her? Just see what does. You are right, you can use this behavior any way you want or even eliminate it if you want to (at least with your things, mine love to carry around their things), just modify the behavior to be what you want it to be. Good luck. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with dobesanddragons. Keep the stuff you do not want her messing with put away and out of site while you get her to play with her stuff. GKar always liked my used underwear. I used to find them all over the place so I started closing the closet door and he got out of the habit. I also made sure he had plenty of allowable toys and bones to chew on.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Molari said:
I agree with dobesanddragons. Keep the stuff you do not want her messing with put away and out of site while you get her to play with her stuff. GKar always liked my used underwear. I used to find them all over the place so I started closing the closet door and he got out of the habit. I also made sure he had plenty of allowable toys and bones to chew on.

omigod... my maltese had a thing for underwear. One time she managed to drag a pair of bright pink ones into the driveway and left them there for the construction guys who were redoing the driveway.... :11doh: :rolleyesw

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Zucker said:
omigod... my maltese had a thing for underwear. One time she managed to drag a pair of bright pink ones into the driveway and left them there for the construction guys who were redoing the driveway.... :11doh: :rolleyesw
That is way toooo funny. I fell out of my chair laughing!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts