Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
In training
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not so much pick as clean it. Nova has been sneezing more than normal. Today I looked up her nose and on one side I can see some black specks that look like dirt. Also, on the side of her nose where the nostril thins out and curves up towards the top of her muzzle there is a little clump of dirt up in there.

How should I go about getting the dirt out of her nose?

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
just let her sneeze it out. :)

are you sure it is dirt and not dried blood?

might be a good idea to run this by your Vet if the sneezing persists or you notice any other symptoms.

·
Registered
775 Posts
You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose! ;-)

I don't actually know either. I would let her keep sneezing, or possibly be very very careful with a wet q-tip? (I'd be worried about going too deep with that and causing some problem tough)

·
In training
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all. Just felt bad for her with all that sneezing and subsequent nose licking.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
No vet here but I would let nature take its course and let her sneeze the debris out. I don't think poking a q-tip or other foreign object up there would be good. If you are doing that and it stimulates her sneeze response you may not be quick enough to get it out and wind up doing damage. If she is making mucus on her own that should move any dirt out of her nose.

Using a bulb syringe might push things higher up in her nose or even cause a problem with her sinuses.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If it the sneezing keeps up please take your Fur Kid to a vet once in awhile they can get a foxtail in there nose they can be very dangerous,article below:

There’s a dog killer lurking in your neighborhood: a common weed, called foxtail. The many variants of the foxtail are not native to North America (with one exception), and many pet owners would gladly prescribe a Dantean punishment for the European immigrants—the Spanish in California where I live—who introduced the damned things to the New World. Native or not, chances are you see it every day during spring, summer, and fall and never think twice about it. But it’s out there, and if you don’t take appropriate precautions, it can kill your dog—or, at the very least, kill your veterinary budget. Here’s a story of one dog that came off second best in an encounter with the foxtail—but he lived. Others have not been so lucky.Article is from Leerburg.com
Good Luck hope it is not a Foxtail my motto is better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
How do I pick my dog's nose?

I don't know BUT:
- a person walks into the doctors office
- doc says, what brings you into my clinic today?
- patent says, every time i sneeze, I have an orgasim
- doc says, have you been taking anything, for this condition?
>>
>>
- patient said, yes...just sniffing pepper daily
...LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts