Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has to be an old topic on the forum, but I haven't seen a thread about it since I joined so I am starting a new one.

I love to hear how people decided to name their dogs.

For me, we went through several options. We started with Buddy, simply cos I always seem to call any dog I meet buddy ("hey buddy, how are you"), but my hubbie nixed it. He wanted something German as ode to the breed heritage.

We narrowed it down to Hexer and Kaiser. Hexer is German for warlock, and Warlock was the name of my first dobie (we didnt pick it, he was rehomed to us at 18 months and we opted to keep his name). He was the best dog I ever had (til now of course!) and the reason I love Dobermans. RIP Warlock buddy.

Kaiser was chosen in the end mostly because we felt it imparts that regality that Dobermans have. Plus, one of our fave bands are the Kaiser Chiefs. :)

So he is Telstar's Kaiserhoff, call name Kaiser. Or sometimes baby boy, buddy, bubba, Kaiserkid, little dude, Kai, Kaisey, and sometimes I think his name is actually No. ;-)

Ok puppy peeps...dish on how your little babies got named!?

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,580 Posts
We picked about 4 names and got down to Maya and Coco. I stole the name Coco from my friend's MIL's cat who was called Coco Chanel. We also have a cat named Tiki so the 2 names seemed to flow together easily.

It is funny you mention the other names for Kaiser. I do that too. Coco is also known as Coke, Cokey, Coco Loco, Mama, Mommy, Mooma, Booma and Cokey Binoki lol!! She knows her name but also knows her aliases!!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Months before getting my boy I made a LONG list of names with Dreizehn being at the top.

When I was in middle school I read a short story about a girl who needed a dog for protection. Long story short she got a doberman named Dreizehn (German word for thirteen) and he saved her life. I also wanted to make sure that my boy had an uncommon name. I've worked in doggie daycares for years so I know all of the common names. Well, Dreizehn was one of thirteen puppies which kind of made the name even more perfect for him. What it came down to was one day my mom was visiting the litter (I was away at college) and told his breeder what I was thinking about naming him. His breeder started calling him Dreizehn and that's how it became his name. I don't mind because I quite like it, even though it isn't the easiest word to pronounce.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My first Doberman was from Canada, and the CKC requires that registration paperwork be provided within six months. The breeder told me that she had chosen the names of race horses as a litter theme, and gave me a few from which to choose. I wasn't partial to any of them in particular, and ended up selecting "Reuben Blue." My puppy arrived, and I kicked around all sorts of names. Within a few days, the name Reuben grew on me and that became his name. Some months later, his paperwork arrived, and his registered name was War Chant!

My second Doberman is Rachael, because it went well with Reuben and also because I had chosen it years before as a girl's name when I was pregnant. Rachael was almost "Fluffy" in protest to her breeder's litter theme... operatic vocal ranges! Honest to God! I threatened to call her Fluffy, and her breeder told me that one of her husband's puppy buyers had already done that with one of the puppies he had bred (not Doberman, but smooth-coated), I assume as protest like I had considered. I didn't want to be a copy-cat, so I forgot about using a protest call name (although "Spot" did briefly cross my mind LOL!).

Has there ever been a thread on incredibly AWFUL litter naming themes??? I am thinking that "operatic vocal ranges" might win some sort of prize...

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,580 Posts
YESSS!!! Nothing like starting a new puppy class, and EVERYBODY'S named "Bella"!

This makes me laugh because Bella was on our list too but we didn't pick it. It is incredible how many Bellas are out there!!

Reactions: wgsdluver

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
YESSS!!! Nothing like starting a new puppy class, and EVERYBODY'S named "Bella"!
Bella, Sam, Sammy/ie, Sasha, Max, Zeaus, Aries, Bailey, Jake, Charlie, Molly, Lucy, Duke, Buster...
I could go on for hours!

Nothing wrong with those names (I actually really like Bailey), I just wanted something different.

Edit: AND RUSTY! I know over 17 Rustys

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner came to us with a horrible name...it was VERY dorky. So we knew we had to change it. His father's registered name is Red Barron's Warrior so when my husband suggested Gunner and I found out that it means warrior, we were sold. It fits him. Although I will admit that usually he's called something mushy like "Gunnie wunnie" :p

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
We picked about 4 names and got down to Maya and Coco. I stole the name Coco from my friend's MIL's cat who was called Coco Chanel. We also have a cat named Tiki so the 2 names seemed to flow together easily.

It is funny you mention the other names for Kaiser. I do that too. Coco is also known as Coke, Cokey, Coco Loco, Mama, Mommy, Mooma, Booma and Cokey Binoki lol!! She knows her name but also knows her aliases!!
My late Kaisers name was named after my cousins Dobe whom i took under my wing at 15 because he was a showpiece so called Guard Dog and no one basically cared for him. He was bought for the image and be an ornamentail piece at their lavish residence. He had top lines with an excellent temperment , very smart and back in the 1970's cost them $1800.
I honored that dogs memory for giving me the love i have for the Doberman Breed.

To be honest, I have always loved Dogs and in a roundabout way, my first dog Spot, saved a 10 year old's life. So Dogs have a special place in my heart.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
When my better half suggested Nubis's name and we researched its various meanings, it gave me the chills. Prior to getting Nubis, i dreamed and will work hard that i can get him at a level to visit elderly people. When i discovered the Name and that Anubis can be considered the God of Death (one who prepares the living for the dead), i went bam, that's his name. As that ultimately will be one of his working roles, to bring happiness and a smile to elderly ppl close to death. He still has a long long way to go, but i have worked this out in my mind for many years, now we are building the blocks to get him there, plus he still has to learn to pray. lol
Wish me luck,

·
Registered
72 Posts
i loved the game legacey of Kain when i was a kid and always thought his personality was like a doberman lots of attitude! just changed the spelling to Kane.

my cousin did something cool for her lab though she wrote names on pieces of paper and threw them on the floor for her to choose. just thought that was a cool idea.

·
Registered
793 Posts
This makes me laugh because Bella was on our list too but we didn't pick it. It is incredible how many Bellas are out there!!
we didn't name our dog our breeder did she kinda knew her name when we got her and while I didn't like the name at all we kept thinking of what to change it to, and as the weeks went on, she started really getting to know her name and we started getting used to it so we just kept it. I dont' place too much on a name, we rescued three other dogs and we kept their names the same too since they already knew them.

·
Registered
277 Posts
We had Remington picked out for his call name as soon as we decided to get a Dobie, but the rest of his name was the tough part. We knew we had to have his kennel name in the beginning but had no idea what else to add to it. I wanted something that really portrayed him and boy did it take forever. The list was long but I would let others look at the names and some just didn't sound right. Finally I came up with Remington's Red Steel. The red was for his coloring and it's also part of his sire's name. The steel part was also for the look of a shiny coat and the build of a Dobie. He has two nicknames: Rem or RemRem which he also answers too. Some people try to call him Remmy and I don't allow it just sounds girlie to me. Lol

1 - 20 of 63 Posts