Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently discovered this love of Bruno's. When ever he's off running, or on lead. He will eat the grass or dirt around him. Well, not always. Because in the yard here he's fine. He doesn't bother. But at my moms, he just wants to eat the grass. He'll run and take a nose dive into the grass to eat it while he's running. I took my boys to the park today. Brought Bruno with and he did the same thing there. I thought I'd be smart and bring him on the dirt. Like the sand. But nope, he just went for hte dirt :/

Is Bruno alone in this? lol Is there ANY way to get him to stop?

Also, how long after switching his food should his poop become solid? I mean I understand it may never be like it was. But it's a mix between and it's driving me nuts because I think sometimes wrong. I just want my baby to be healthy and it seems everything that could go wrong, is going wrong :(

·
Registered
602 Posts
You are not alone my friend...lol When Princi gets really excited and happy she will run around in an arch (head and butt low to the ground with back straight up) and just dive into whatever is on the ground (grass/dirt/water), give it a few shakes and do it again.

The poop question is good. I am not sure how long it should take, but ever since I have switched Princi to raw her poop is different in the morning (not so solid) and different in the evening (solid).

Naveen

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Mensa eats so much grass and other green stuff you would think she's grazing.

Normally I spray Round-Up all over the yard this time of year but I can't take the chance of Mensa eating it , so the yard is overgrown with weeds now.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi does the same thing. We had to keep rinsing her mouth out at the beach the other day 'cause she kept coming back with mouthfuls of sand!
As far as the poo - I would imagine that it would take no more than a couple of weeks before it was "normal" after switching - unless of course he just isn't tolerating this new food well - but I don't know for sure - sorry...

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
It was only a phase for us with eating grass. It lasted only a few months that my girl would want to graze. She still will spontaneously decide to rip out chunks of grass when in excite mood though. We have a "Leave it" command we use when we want her to leave something alone that we learned. Its very useful to get her to stop and leave a multitude of things alone.

With the poop issue, it really depends on how you switched him over to the new food. The ideal approach would to do it slowly over a two week span. This would help with the poop being very loose. I would expect that the loose poop should only last a few days and then start to get firm again. If not, he might not be tolerating the new food and you would have to switch to something else. Dogs react differently to food and you might have to try a few brands to see what works and what doesn't. I tried 4 or 5 different brands before I found something I like and worked for her.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess eats grass and mud all the time...she shoves her nose into the ground and carves the mud with her teeth. she also eats woodchips and mulch...sticks...lol
My old dalmatian use to eat grass...but she would learn not to...because she would get sick and throw it up...duchess doesnt get sick...so she thinks its lunch or something lol

·
Registered
694 Posts
Is it true that dogs eat grass when they are not feeling well??? I always thought this was just an old wives tale, but I hear it all the time....just wondering?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If that's the case we all have a bunch of sick dobes lol.

So glad to hear this is normal and I hope and I pray that he gets out of it LOL It drives me nuts. I think mainly because I think if I had the grass/dirt in my mouth how nasty it would be. THen I feel sick when he does it lol. So it's okay for them to eat grass? Like, obviously not a whole bunch. But it's okay to eat some? I always thought that was a No No.

His poop. Well it's solid, but still soft. I noticed when we went to my sister's this weekend tho that he was runny. I'm guessing it was stress or excitment? She has 3 Dobes and 2 kids. So alot was going on. We did the slow changing over with using his Eukanuba mixed with the wellness. Now it's just wellness and it's been about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess's poop is a mystery lol its solid...but sometimes its real dark from eating so much mud I think lol and other times she poops this little mulch stick filled poop haha...I always tell her "I warned you about eating those sticks!" lol ...she doesnt listen...

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Mine love to eat grass. They do it mostly when it starts to get long. So I just try to keep up on mowing. They will find the spots along the fence if I dont spend the time to weed eat. The leave it command is a godsend. I just tell Harmony to stop grazing and she looks at me like I am an idiot. Certain types of grasses they like better though I noticed. When we visit my parents, there is a spot in their yard that they will roll in and are addicted to. Funny dogs.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Grass eating doesnt bother me when they are in the yard cause we don't treat our yard with anything...but I don't like when duchess is eating grass at the park and you look around and see NO weeds and not one dandelion in sight...just makes me wonder how much they fertilize and treat the grass :(

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Just received an email from my breeder - think I'll put it in a new posting. Seems Target, Home Depot, etc are carrying a mulch made of cocoa husks. Smells like chocolate when it gets wet and dogs are attracted to it. Thing is, it contains the enzyme in chocolate that dogs can't tolerate, and ingesting the mulch will make them ill or deathly ill.

We (I) have been working with Java on the 'leave it' command as well. Whether it's sneakers, a piece of hot food that's dropped onto the kitchen floor, or a dead animal, I want her to be able to back off on command, and that's not easy to do.

·
Registered
357 Posts
we dont treat our grass either, so i dont mind that they eat the grass when we start watering it.. they only seem to do it when they have an upset tummy.. besides that they leave it alone.. now the digging on the other had. heh

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
mariposa692001 said:
Is it true that dogs eat grass when they are not feeling well??? I always thought this was just an old wives tale, but I hear it all the time....just wondering?
Basically it is just an old wives tale the general thought is that they just like the taste, although it can make them vomit occasionally and you sometimes have to help the odd blade of grass out of the other end.:help_up_2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts