Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female doberman just turned 8 months and she is about 59.8 lbs now. Is this a normal size for an altered female puppy. Is she gonna be huge or an average size female?:confused:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hopefully she won't be huge. Dobermans are a medium sized dog. They make great lap dogs! My female is about 2 and she weighs 68 lbs.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
My girl is 8ish months and 48lbs. She's small seeming. Also, she has growth spurts, one day I look at her and she noticeably taller, and I'm shocked. Then she has moments where she looks stockier, and Im shocked by that too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her daddy is about 90 to 95 lbs and her mom is about 65 to 70 lbs. Does it matter what i am feeding her on how big she will get?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I found ime, once they hit 9 months, you can add another 15-20 lbs to bulk up to the 2 yr mark.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like PatchworkRobot and HerMewMew it's always good to look at the parents to see about how large your puppy will get. My girl is also 8 months and 67lbs but she's always been a bit on the heavier side even though she is fed depending on how her waist line looks. Personally I would have been happier if she turned out to be a little girl because she's always throwing herself on my lap and I only weigh 100lbs myself!

So to answer your question I think she'll probably turn out to be a little larger then the standard female but I doubt she'll be a massive dobe but that's ok! As long as she's happy and healthy that's all that matters :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
my two are 19 months and weighs 63.1 lbs full grown, and 9 months and weighs 62.2 lbs, and is still growing. I was told the mother to my 19 month was 100 lbs but I have serious doubts about that, for one, she is obviously an American bred dobe, you can tell by her features, and for another her small size indicates she did not come from a dog that size.
My 9 month old has Euro breeding and is bigger already than the older one, I saw both parents, mom was around 80 lbs, dad about 80 to 85, so she will be bigger.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Keira is almost the same weight now as she was when she was 8-9 months old. She's almost 4 years old now, so is done filling out, but even with filling out some she didn't really gain much weight/get much bigger. I think she was about 55lbs at that age and now she fluctuates between 58-60lbs.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The food you feed doesn't change how large they will be but it does help other serious health factors threw out life. You are making it sound as it you want her to be larger look at the breed standard for dobes they are not a LARGE breed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont want a large Dobie. I have her brother he is from a litter 2 years ago and he is 65 lbs. And his whole life he has been on Blue buffalo wilderness. But I put Reba on the dehydrated raw diet so I was wondering if that was making her so big? Or is just that she is a big girl.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
58 pounds is not big for a female. The average female Doberman I've ever met has been about 60-65lbs full grown. 65lbs for a male is on the small side, though. Most of the ones I know are about 75-80lbs, with a few being closer to 70lbs. If you have a smaller male to compare her to, that could be why she appears large to you.

Different foods should not make a dog bigger than what they were going to grow to be genetically. Some foods can cause a dog to grow fast and some slow, but in the end, they're still going to reach the size they were going to be.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The food you feed doesn't change how large they will be but it does help other serious health factors threw out life. You are making it sound as it you want her to be larger look at the breed standard for dobes they are not a LARGE breed
Dobermans are a large breed dog. Anything over 50-55 lbs. is considered large breed, for a generic categorization.

They are probably on the medium size range of the large breed category, as some large breeds are smaller and some a bit larger.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why is there such a stigma about dobermans being larger on this site? It's almost like you are looked down upon if you have a big doberman...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Actually Large Breeds are 70+

Courtosey of the AKC website

"Doberman Pinscher Breed Standard
Working Group

General Appearance
The appearance is that of a dog of medium size, with a body that is square."

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Why is there such a stigma about dobermans being larger on this site? It's almost like you are looked down upon if you have a big doberman...

Dobermans are not meant to be over there breed standard they are bred to be athletic and agile and when they start getting into 90 lbs + they cant be those thing as well. Also their bodies are not designed to support that weight heavier dobes tend to have more health problems down the line. And a reputable breeder should always breed for breed STANDARD and anyone who would breed a dog To be that heavy isn't breeding for the standard and are 9 times out of 10 a BYB

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The doberman has a breed standard. Backyard breeders have bred dobermans that are advertised as BIG and GIANT to make more money. It is not true to the breed standard, and comes with increased health risks. This breed has a range for normal weights and sizes for a reason, and it needs to be respected. If someone wants a GIANT doberman, they need to focus on another breed.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Monty is the same weight he was at 8 months old....80# at 21 months. He looks very different though....much more muscle mass and mature looking.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts