Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a hard question to answer considering I don't know how big her father is. I know that when I saw the mother she wasn't that big at all. Maybe 60-70 lbs at the most.

Right now I feed her roughly 1 1/4 cups of food for breakfast and dinner, and about a cup for lunch. When I'm training her with the same food she can get another 1/4 cup of food.

So that's 3 3/4 cups of food a day. (Apparantly the bag says 6 cups of food)

I don't see her ribs poking out but aparantly today while my girlfriend was walking her some guy yelled down at her from their apartment to feed the dog...not sure if this was from the type of person that over feeds their animal.

I haven't been to the vet for a little while so I'm not sure of her actual weight.

I find that comment to be odd because every other person has always commented about how beautiful she is etc...that is if they aren't scared of her.

I will take some pictures when I get home tonight and will post them to this thread.

I'm thinking that this person just doesn't know her age and that she should start getting wider soon, no?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Puppies don't often start filling out until around a year of age, if I remember right. Also, many people don't know what a dog of a healthy weight looks like. Go with your gut.

I can't be of much more help until you post pictures. Try to get a top-down picture while she's standing and then a few side views

·
The DogFather
377 Posts
I am trying to remember what our vet says.

Something like -you can barely feel the ribs but can't see them, is proper 'trim' level

When atlas turned 1 we immediately switched to adult food and he dropped almost 5 lbs. Went from nice and healthy looking to skinny and ribby. In the interim I'm mixing 50/50 puppy and adult food until I can get time to find a better adult food...or decide if I want to feed him more.

He's been on the 50/50 mix for about a week and is already looking better.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll do that, thanks. Stay tuned. Should have some up within a couple hours unless I get side tracked.

When I look at her I honestly don't feel like she's to skinny. Like I said her ribs aren't poking out at all.

She looks small, sure, but she's only 5 months old.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have a lot of people tell me Cato is "so skinny!" But the second I mention the fact that he's six months old people sure turn around quick. Then its "He's so huge for six months!"
And to be honest a lot of people don't know what a dobe should look like. My neighbor thought the rottie living behind his house was a doberman. So of course my boy looked skinny to him. (we've set that one straight!)
If you're really worried it doesn't hurt to post pictures (like you plan) or take her to someone who would know better. Most people just don't know what a healthy weight for a dog is, let alone the healthy weight for a doberman.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
When Kyrah was younger she was a bean pole! I couldnt feed her enough to get weight on her. I believe it was somewhere around 5-9 months. We dont have that problem now. We have the opposite. :(

I agree most people just dont know what is a healthy weight or what some puppies look like while they are growning. I met a man at the park a yr or so ago. He was so self consious from people telling him things about his boxer. The second sentence to me was "I do feed him. I just cant get weight on him. We have been to the vet." I chuckled at him and said I know. I have already been thru that with my girl. :)

We still want pics! ETA: you must have posted the same time I was.

She sure is a cutie! Kyrah was skinnier than that I believe. I think she looks fine.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
She looks good to me, also. Lots of people don't know what a dog in good shape looks like. That's one reason there are so many fat dogs around.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I think it really depends on her weight.
What kind of food is she on?.
Personally, I think she might on the money, for her body frame. but i also like, a little puppy fat, cuz as they age, food allotment goes down and exercise level is increased, and they burn it off.

Reactions: Dave_L

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok this is great news. thank you.

I don't know why I took this persons comment so personally but I wanted to check with you all to get more opinions in case I was missing something.

Her current food is called "Natural choice large breed puppy"
She seems to be doing well on it, hard stools and her gas has gone way done.

in fact, I have tested her on some higher value treats as well and she's not getting diarrhea!! just in time for some outdoor training. :)

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Quite frankly, I probably feed about half of the "recommended" amount on the bag. I go by "are they looking a little too heavy, a little too thin, did I give a lot of treats during training, have I upped their activity level, etc.", and adjust the amount of kibble accordingly.

·
Registered
625 Posts
She looks good to me! I've gotten comments about Koa from time to time as well, and I really think that people are so used to seeing fat dogs that they forget that he should have a tuck and should have a waist. I go by look and feel - Koa has been the same height since about 8 or 9 months I think, but as he goes through little spurts I'll need to increase his food when he gets a tad light or decrease when he gets heavy based on if he's growing/activity, etc.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Another vote for looking good! :) They're supposed to have a nice tucked up waist, and ribs are supposed to be easily felt, but not standing out. I've been told Callie is way too thin- but my vet says she's a perfect weight. There's such an obesity epidemic here that it seems people have forgotten what healthy looks like, both in people AND dogs, and 'healthy' looks 'starved' to most.

Reactions: Dave_L

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
When my last male Strider was that age.....he looked so skinny too.....but he grew to a beautiful 85 lb dober dude.
Rudy is 4 months old yesterday and he weighs 37.5 lbs. I think that he looks skinny too actually. I'm trying to get a bit more weight on him without making him grow too fast ect.

Sometimes I look at him and think.....people are going to think I don't feed you.
He just burns it so quickly and of course is growing too....making him look ....SKINNY!!!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
When Kyrah was younger she was a bean pole! I couldnt feed her enough to get weight on her. I believe it was somewhere around 5-9 months. We dont have that problem now. We have the opposite. :(

I agree most people just dont know what is a healthy weight or what some puppies look like while they are growning. I met a man at the park a yr or so ago. He was so self consious from people telling him things about his boxer. The second sentence to me was "I do feed him. I just cant get weight on him. We have been to the vet." I chuckled at him and said I know. I have already been thru that with my girl. :)

We still want pics! ETA: you must have posted the same time I was.

She sure is a cutie! Kyrah was skinnier than that I believe. I think she looks fine.
I was mistaken Kyrah was younger than that when she was extremely thin. I cant find the pics right now. She must have been more around 3-5 months. But still to me your girl looks great!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts