Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all! We’re following the backer rod method posted in this forum. How does our first tape job look on Ivy? We’re slightly concerned about the base looking bulgy/like it might create pockets? Any critiques are welcome!

·
Big Lil pup
6,599 Posts
Hi hey. Hi Ivy.

Your posting/taping looks good to me. The base of the ear is going to protrude beneath the tape. How far, really depends on the shape and size of the remaining bell. (Wide base vs narrow base). Just make sure that the tape at the bottom is not wrapped too tight. You can keep an eye out for pockets when you take the posts out to change them. Review the discussion on pockets in the ear cropping forum.

Also, some folks use a bridge and others do not. I used one on McCoy, we used one on Popeye (5 months old today!) for the first couple of tapings. If you use a bridge, there are two things to consider IMO. First: Do not pull the ears in too close. You want the ears to be able to spread in a bit of a "V" position. Folks call this a 10 o'clock - 2 o'clock position. The other thing is to position the bridge lower on the ears.If it is closer to the top of the head, there is less chance the they can either worry it or that the bridge gets caught on something.

Keep up the good work!

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
10,436 Posts
Except for the bridge being too high on the ear--should be as close to the head as possible. The posting looks pretty good. Don't worry about the back of the ear protruding beneath the tape--that won't cause of aggravate pockets which really form at the upper attachment to the head.

Making sure that you post (and bridge if you are using a bridge) so the the ears tip out a little as John explained above
really helps keep pockets from forming and also help get rid of them if they are present.

Cute pupper!

dobebug

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback! We will definitely put the bridge lower, or just remove entirely. I appreciate it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts