Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had Rex and Cupcake for about 2 months now and are still not getting them to poop outside. Puddles are few and far between now but still no luck on the piles. I have tried 30 mins after eating and spending 30 mins making 4 trips around the yard with nothing and then back inside for 5 minutes and there it is. I have tried the spray to make them think that they can go in certain areas outside with no luck. I have taken the piles outside to the areas where I would like for them to go and nothing. This is getting REALLY frustrating. The other morning I took the two small dogs out and left Rex and Cupcake in the bedroom where they were sleeping. I come back in about 10 mins later and have two huge piles and a puddle in the bathroom. Anyone have any other ideas I would GREATLY appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Are these guys crate trained (individual crates), and - if so - do they keep the crates clean?

You need to engineer the circumstances in which they will be correct. This means that they have zero liberty and zero lack of supervision until their needs have been met outside. They can be taken out and then crated if they are unsuccessful. They can be taken outside and then kept tied to you inside if they have been unsuccessful. A bit of time crated or tied, and back outside to try again.

I like to use language to identify what this is, and I HATE "Go potty!"... having to pee does not feel like having to poop, so it is two things. Do NOT chant the pooping cue to them... instead, be quiet and then when someone assumes the position, very quietly and calmly (so you don't interrupt) repeatedly identify what this is "Good dog. Good poop/dump/whatever. Good whatever. Good whatever. Good dog." The instant they are done, HUGE happy poop/dump/whatever party complete with yummy treat outside (no treat inside... that would reward going in).

Do NOT discipline errors and accidents inside. What this is liable to do is to teach them that it is dangerous or unpleasant to puppies to be in the presence of humans and their own waste products simultaneously... now, you have puppies who won't eliminate in front of you.

Once they begin to get a grasp of the language, then whatever word you are using will begin to have some use as a command.

The spray stuff generally may have some use with regard to suggesting where to pee... in my experience, it is much less useful for pooping.

It sounds as if you have other dogs. If the pups can go out with the other dogs, this may help them learn by example.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sorry! I'm not real smart, sometimes! I just went back and read your intro, and saw that these are not pups...

Dogs are harder, and pooping on a leash is a learned skill that can be difficult for some dogs. If they are not trained to the e-fence, yet, you might install a trolley (or two, going off in different directions so no one can get tangled) or a tie-out or two (again, making sure there can be no tangling). You might also consider installing a smallish, temporary dog run type of dealie. Something so that they do not feel leashed and feel more comfortable eliminating. When I took a dog to a three day seminar (having no clue he didn't poop on leash since I had never had to have him do this before), I tried a Flexi retractable leash (which I mostly hate except for recall training) and also a 30 foot training lead... it still took two and a half days, and reaching the point of poop-or-explode!

If your other dogs are trained to the fence, take the Dobermans out there and let them see you reward the other dogs for eliminating. Using identifying language which can become a command is useful for dogs or puppies.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
You can take one out at a time and use this old show dog trick ( if a dog potty s in the ring you are disqualified ) Get a card board package of matches tear one off put the non-sulfur end into the rectum just hang on to the sulfur end leave it then the dog should go.Do not use wood matches use only paper matches.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
You can take one out at a time and use this old show dog trick ( if a dog potty s in the ring you are disqualified ) Get a card board package of matches tear one off put the non-sulfur end into the rectum just hang on to the sulfur end leave it then the dog should go.Do not use wood matches use only paper matches.
This was a startling thing to read this early in the morning! Stick a match up their butt, really? You learn something new ever day.

o.o

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It must be the leash part of it because they have more times than not just started leaving a pile right in front of us. My wife got a chuckle out of the matches idea. We have a wooden deck and a pole barn out in the yard so i may try to rig up something that way or we have plenty of space to put up a temporary run, but I would be worried about them trying to get out after that deer that are always going through the yard. I have three days of vacation left so I will be trying these out and see what works best. We shall see. Thanks for the advise gang! ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I'm old been around awhile learned about the match trick from an obedience person she use to have the top winning Doberman in the nation in obedience or so she told me.Believe the dogs name was something like Wildchild Image Wildchild was her kennel name.Lost track of her over the years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts