Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My pup is 13 weeks and a couple days old, and she LOVES to pee and poo in the house.. I am watching her like a hawk 24/7, (which is rather tiring), but she will literally squat and pee/poo so fast, (within like a second), so if I grab her in that time, she is still peeing on the floor, but on me as well. And if I catch her in the act, I say a firm NO, but I don't know if I should take her outside because I mean if she just let out all her pee, she won't have to go so she will just be sitting out in the cold wondering what to do. If I take her outside, she will pee, but sometimes she will come back in and pee again within two minutes! Also, I thought like every half hour would be good to take her out, but she can hold it for four hours, then let it out, or like ten minutes, it is never incremental so I can never catch her in time! Almost every time she goes, it is in the house! I know it is my fault, but how can I catch her when she is so quick? I never hit her or punish her in any way, I just praise her SO MUCH when she goes outside. I guess maybe she is still pretty young?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Well join my club. I have had two females and mine were/are the same way. Luckily I have a hard surface area where I can put them so while I don't like it, I don't get too bent out of shape over it. I also keep a bucket of hot water with green cleaner. My almost two year old seemed to be a nervous wetter. If my son looked at her cross eyed she would wet even if she had just returned in doors from peeing. All of a sudden at about age six months, she stopped. Taylor doesn't seem to care whether she learns to go outside or not. She can hold it overnight for 8 hours and just a while ago got excited about going outside and wet on my foot.

Like I said, I don't get too worried about it.

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
She's still very young so yeah, it's pretty common.

However I would definitely suggest scooping her up (even if she's peeing.. gross, I know) and rushing her outside. When I would catch a puppy popping a squat I would start clapping my hands and saying "Outside! Outside! Outside!" while I ran over to them and scooped them up and rushed them outside as fast as possible. That's how they really make the connection, I think, that going in the house is unacceptable.

Be patient. It may take until she's 5 or 6 months.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Peeing in the house is one thing but pooing that's a different story.
YOU have to take her out after each incident and bring to the same spot.
I would also take that poo out there too and show her where it goes, NOT in the house.
Their are key times when they go, after eating drinking, playing/running, excitement,.etc.
Watch for her circling, sniffing , running back and forth etc.
DONT stretch out how long she can hold it, take control and take her out.
She will not start showing you until you show her the pattern,.
Always go out same door and same spot, so she associates her scent there.

Reactions: Brandy&Melanie

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Don"t try to catch her, try to get her out more often. I'd even set timer every 20-30 minutes. Get her out more often. Reward when she goes.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Check for a UTI at the vets UTI Urinary tract infection.
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.
This I learned many,many years ago form someone that showed their Doberman in Obedience it really works just have to hang in there and be consistent.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would also recommend not necessarily waiting for signs that she has to go but just keep taking her out every 20 min or so and telling her to 'go'. If she does I would make a big fuss and give her a treat. I also have a bell on the door, like Patches Mom mentioned. It works really well and it was so easy to train. However... once they enjoy the in and out game the ringing sometimes becomes a pain. hahaha (Jordan is a brat)
You could also try the tether training where she is leashed to you constantly. You move, she moves, you sit, she sits. She starts to move - you notice. If she even begins to spin or squat....out she goes. Repetition and consistency is key. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Forgot ask them the pup/dog if they need to go potty or what words you have chose to use once in awhile.Patches my Dachshund will ask to go out by growl talking.Buddy my Doberman will not ask I have to ask him then he runs to the back door every dog is different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts