Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our puppy for two weeks now, and he is 11 weeks old. For the first five days he was in our home he did not pee inside once. My husband and I work opposite shifts, so there is almost always someone home with him. We are crate training and as well have a gated off room with no carpets for when we can watch him. We have gotten him to four hours at night in the crate with no mishaps. He gets taken outside after every meal, upon waking or being let out of his crate. When he is awake and in the "safe"room, we take him out about every 20 minutes. In the past week he has started peeing CONSTANTLY. He pees on the floor in little puddles about four times an hour in ADDITION to the trips outside, even when we catch him in the act and tell him no. It is hard to know beforehand because he only pauses for a split second before the pee starts flowing. Today when I had to go to the store, I let him outside, watched him pee and put him in his crate. When I returned he had peed in the crate and was laying in it. Later when we crated him while we ate dinner, he peed in it again. We did so well the first week, what happened? It's like his little garden hose sprung a leak....I am so frustrated!

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
House breaking 101 :
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too.Also you can ask them if they want to go potty or the words you have chosen. Good Luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He had just been to the vet the day before I posted, but the doctor did not do a thorough exam. He just gave him his shots and then tried to convince me that I should neuter him on his 16 week visit because it was "for his health". That particular vet also found it necessary to chastise me for his ear cropping, even though at 11 weeks, my boy is not only completely healed but already beginning to stand beautifully. Funny how he objected so strenuously to something that will have no effect on my dog for the remainder of his life, yet was ready to cut him open and castrate him at 4 months old thus affecting his health and development for the foreseeable future. Oh the hypocrisy! Needless to say, I found a new vet and took him in yesterday. He did come up positive for a UTI. After 1 round of meds we are back to ZERO accidents. Thanks for the info everyone :)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'm glad you found the issue for your sanity and for his comfort! Thank you for getting him checked out rather than just waiting, waiting, waiting, and getting angry with him for something beyond his control. I wish everyone would do the same for their puppies...:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts