Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

housebraking

969 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Nubis'sDad 
#1 ·

So I am having all these issues this week!
Scarlett my big baby is 6 months old.....She has always done REALLY well when it comes to training, had only 3 accidents in the house since day one. except this week! has gone #2 in the house for the past 3 days. She usually would sleep with me, so as soon as she would get up I would immdiately take her outside. She now in the middle of the night gets up so quiet I can not hear or fell her moving, she makes her rounds around the house then to sleep in my boys room. She is only crated when we are not home, Should I be crating her at night?
I do however love about her that she wants to check on my kids and end up sleeping with them! just not happy with the mess! any suggestions?

#2 ·
what location are you finding the number2.?
In the kids room?
I personally would not leave my guy alone to roam the house while I was sleeping at 5 months. For some reason they get a brain misfire and get into something they shouldn't, could be bad news.

Reactions: Meliss
#3 ·
Crating would certainly be easier, especially if she is already used to the crate. As she grows older she may develop into a chewer, and crating her would keep her from eating anything that she shouldn't and keep you furniture and carpeting in one piece.

If you don't want to crate, you could keep her in your room (or the boy's room if they are old enough to let her out when she needs to) and simply close the door so she can't wander around the house. She would probably whine or scratch at the door to get out, and you would have more chance of hearing her.

Pups sometimes seem to get worse in their housebreaking after they have been in their new home for a little while, but I think what is really going on is that the pup's new parents have let down their guard and aren't watching as closely to prevent the unwanted accident.

#4 ·
My two prev dobes never got full rein of the house, till I was absolutely sure I could sleep in peace. 2 & 1.5 yrs respectively. These guys can be brilliantly smart at opening things and I don't want a fatal Houdini trick on my hands.

Reactions: Meliss
#6 ·

Hi All!! Thanks for the replies!
So heres the new issue,
Like Melbrod said "but I think what is really going on is that the pup's new parents have
let down their guard and aren't watching as closely to prevent the unwanted accident.
So I was very deligent payed extra attention, Just after coming in from a walk, about 15 mins later....I find another accident in the house. So I made sure to wake up in the middle of the night to let her out. So this morning, she did it again! Just a bit after coming inside. I have no idea whats going? She is not dumb thats for sure! She does really good with all commands. Now what?:confused:

#12 ·
Pooing in the den is a respect issue at that age and knowing the difference. Back to crate at night and any other so called mistake, when she has been out needs a reprimand and I would give a thundering verbal timeout in the crate. That's h
Just me. But none of my dobes poo in the house as I am sure they sense it wouldn't be acceptable.
Now years ago I had a Maltese decided at a year pulled that and I told him disgustingly it goes, next day he did it right in front of me. My patience got the best of me and I was pisssed and without thinking I grabbed him and the poo and in the crate they both went
Telling him firm poo in my house and you will sleep with it in your crate. He barked, whined and went quiet after 30 mins. I grabbed the poo and took him outside where he use to number 2 and told him it goes there and we went in and carried on. He never did it again.
Now im bias cuz when I was a kid, at my cousins cottage, during the night I went to the bathroom in the dark and walked into a pile of crap from an older incontinent dalmation. So im anal about number 2 in the house. No pun intended LOL
Personally when their not sick or stupid, its a respect issue.

#14 · (Edited)
Pooing in the den is a respect issue at that age and knowing the difference. Back to crate at night and any other so called mistake, when she has been out needs a reprimand and I would give a thundering verbal timeout in the crate. That's h
Just me. Personally when their not sick or stupid, its a respect issue.
I think you're right... I think it might be just you.

Calling it a respect issue is one way to avoid responsibility for doing a lousy job of housetraining.

#13 ·
I agree with shutting her in the bedroom so that she can alert you about having to go out.

Also, on the assumption that you're feeding twice a day, what time is supper? Would it be reasonable to make supper earlier so that she has had more time to process and eliminate before bed?

What are you feeding? There is MUCH waste generated by dogs who eat lesser quality foods full of corn and indigestable crap... she would simply have to poop more, and more often. A higher quality of food requires that less be fed since it is more nutrient dense, and a dog will generate a much reduced quantity of feces at a reduced rate of frequency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.