Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 yr old wild child lol. He’s so hyper, he’s very active and we go on long walks and play to get that energy out, but my dog doesn’t know how to behave in the house, he gets into everything, chews on everything. He knows basic commands, sit, leave it etc. can someone guide me in the right direction? I just want him to be comfortable and a good dog in the house without tearing my house apart 🤣.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly, it sounds like you need to revisit obedience training, and possibly more than that. He does these things because: 1 - he's not worked mentally, and 2 - you're allowing him to behave like a menace.

He wants work. Give him a job.
Also, he gets distracted very easy! Ok, give me some mental advice on how to work him mentally.

· Registered
1,209 Posts
There are all sorts of videos on YouTube just search "Mental exercises for dogs". Or even trick training, thinking through that helps too. Sounds like you need to work on daily obedience though, working on that regularly throughout the day helps a lot.

· Registered
4,567 Posts
You need to train him what he's allowed to do and not allowed to do and show him there are consequences to his actions. Yes, training is expensive because someone is giving up their time to train you on how to train your dog. But once you learn to train one dog, then you can keep using that training to teach your other dogs throughout the years.

· Premium Member
14,952 Posts
You might want to think about going back to basic puppy training.

1. The dog is never allowed in the house without supervision--that means he comes in on a leash and stays attached to you (or any other reliable adult--always--all the time)--this is the only way you can really have him right there to correct him for doing things you don't want him to do (and has been getting away with) --so that would be your starting point.

2. If there are things you don't want him to get into or chew or in any other way interact with--put them away. Put the trash in an inconvenient location--in the garage--even if you have to walk further--that means he won't get into it. Or put in in a bottom cabinet--or if he (like one of my cats)has learned to open cupboards to get at things he should not be into--put a child proof latch on it also (even the cat hasn't figured out one of those).

3. If he is chewing on things (like what--shoes?--put them away--if you and your family are not doing that you are allowing the dog to behave in ways that are your fault because you didn't figure out how to prevent them.

4. See 1.--if he just has to get into something when he's loose--he can't be loose until you have actually gone through the training process and he has been corrected for getting into things you don't want him into--and he knows now because he's been on a leash attached to you and you have actually been able to stop the behavior and correct it.

And if you want to know how to mentally exercise him--you find games to play WITH him so he is still under your watchful eye. The things that are mental exercise for him are all basically interactive games which you teach him and you play together (otherwise, guess what---he'll invent his own entertainment.)

Sort of training doesn't really work well with dogs--they see the world in kind of black and white terms and if you want to have a good dog, a dog who is a pleasure to have around you need to deal with that reality.

Welcome to the world of having a dog for a pet--they take up part of your otherwise free time.

dobebug

· Registered
2 standard poodle pups
107 Posts
He darts for things soon as he comes in from outside, wether it’s the trash can, he just has to get into something when he’s loose.
My boy, not a doberman, is notorious for getting into the trash can but he would NEVER do it in front of me. He knows he's not supposed to but just can't seem to help himself when I'm not around. My solution to that was, I bought a kitchen trash can that has a lock on it. He can't flip the lid up. Just one of those things where I had to think of another solution.

If your guy can't be trusted, then in the crate for some rest time when you can't be watching him every second. A lot of times with intelligent breeds, you have to think of things before they do.

· Registered
2 Posts
Obedience training classes are very expensive. I’d rather teach my dog at home that’s what I’m trying to find resources on this group can you point me in the right direction? Thank you.
I hired a trainer from Precision Protection Dogs for my dog so I know Dog obedience training is very expensive but it will be the best option for you and your furry friend because a professional dog trainer knows the behavior of the dog very closely and they also have a lot of experience with different-different types of dogs. At least hire someone for 1 or 2 weeks, If you get the wanted result, then it is a good thing, otherwise, you can always train your dog by watching videos from YouTube.

· Registered
113 Posts
Nobody has mentioned Doberman Planet on Youtube. I found his videos pretty good and one of the takeaways I got is you just have to watch them all the time until they're older. The word I always remember is 'hover'

· Registered
I now have a 15 yr old Yorkie, yes I know a big difference from a Dobie.
125 Posts
I have a 3 yr old wild child lol. He’s so hyper, he’s very active and we go on long walks and play to get that energy out, but my dog doesn’t know how to behave in the house, he gets into everything, chews on everything. He knows basic commands, sit, leave it etc. can someone guide me in the right direction? I just want him to be comfortable and a good dog in the house without tearing my house apart 🤣.
My suggestion would be NOT to take the leash off when bringing him in the house and calm him down...no food (but of course water if he wants). Keep him tethered to u until he settles down and best would be for him to be sitting next to u while u pet and praise him (some people like to give treats I'm more of hands on with praise). Do that after every time u bring in the house and he should learn in a short time to calm down.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts