Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Housetraining an older puppy (8 months old)

We rescued an 8 month old Dobe a week ago and have been successful with potty time only when we keep him to a fixed schedule. It goes like this: morning walk, return home and pee, eat "breakfast", then some crate time. Once out of the crate, he'll do a bowel movement. Then hanging out with him out in the yard, over the course of the next 4-6 hours, he might pee one more time. Then dinner time finally comes, he eats and goes into the crate for a bit. We take him out of the crate to go potty and he does his final pee time for the night. After that, we play until he gets tired and starts "acting up" a bit and then it's time for bed.

One time I broke that schedule (the scheduled potty break after the crate time after dinner) and I paid the price. The thing is, I was within an arms length of him and I was able to stop him from peeing mid-stream, but I swear I didn't see any signs that he needed to go. We were playing fetch in the house and he just dropped the ball and started going! I rolled up the metaphorical paper and started whacked myself over the head for being so careless!! (The reason I broke the schedule was that I assumed he was housetrained already and he would let me know when he needed to go out.)

Another time, we kept the regular schedule, but I guess this particular night he had another bowel movement to go. Again, I was right next time him, so I was able to grab his collar immediately and brought him outside.

I guess my question is: when is he going to equate potty with outside, and just outside? I follow a lot of the tips about saying "go potty" and then rewarding the dog after he goes. The time he went pee inside and the time that he attempted to go poop, he was very nonchalant in the moments leading up to it--just as he approaches the duty outside. He made no attempt to alert me that he need to be taken outside to go.

I feel like I can't give him any freedom in the house unless he JUST went both pee and poop. Am I taking the right approach to the housetraining? The thing is that if I always keep him on this schedule, I will never know if he is truly housetrained...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great stuff! Thanks for the replies everyone. I was beginning to think that I was overly obsessed with the potty training, so it was monopolizing my day.

I swore that he looked at me and then walked over to the door today to let me know he had to go. I took him out and he went pee. Later on, after about an hour had passed, he pulled the same maneuver on me. I thought to myself, no way, but I wasn't going to chance it. However, as soon as we went into the potty area, he found a stick and started playing with it. The little devil, I thought, played me for a fool. So, I pulled him away from the stick, and did my little potty routine with him, walking him in a circle and saying, "Go potty. Go potty." Lo and behold, he started sniffing, stopped, and then squeezed out about 4 fluid ounces of pee as if to please me. Could it be that my little fella is starting to get it?? Hope springs eternal!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, Harley is now a year old and he's still not reliable in the house if we break his "regular" potty schedule. While he understands "Go potty" and goes on command, he apparently doesn't necessarily feel the need to wait for me to issue the command outside.

Today, after we got back from the dog park, he emptied his bladder inside the house. Now maybe I should have told him to potty before going in the house, but I *know* I saw him go a few times at the dog park so I didn't think it was necessary. At any rate, I figured he would find me to let me know he needs to go out, but he didn't.

Several times a day over the past 4 months I've been praising him whenever he potties outside. I assume he would have made the connection that outside equal place to potty, but he obviously has not made that connection yet.

I just ordered the Poochie bells and I'm going to start ringing them whenever we go outside, but if he doesn't equate outside, and outside only, with potty, will the bells make a difference?

At some point will he just magically figure out that inside the house is not the proper place to go? I would love to give him more freedom outside his crate when I can't hover over him, but today's accident let me know that it is not possible yet.

Thanks!
Harley's Dad

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone. I had a good idea that I was on the right track, but there was that little nagging doubt in the back of my mind. I guess I'll keep him a schedule. We usually do 7AM, 12PM, 5PM, 9PM, and 11PM--at least those are the times that I supervise and make him potty on command. I'm sure, when the weather is nice and he is left outside in the back yard, he does his business in between those times as well.

Yesterday when we had the accident, Harley went at 7AM, 12PM, and a few times at the dog park between 1:30PM and 3:30PM. I figured wrongly that he easily could have waited until his next potty break. I now know that I should have made a detour into the backyard and made him potty before bringing him into the house. I won't make that mistake again. I guess I felt confident that he would let me know if he had to go.

The cold weather definitely makes it tougher. I can see the wheels spinning in Harley's brain that he would much rather go in the warmth of the house (of course, not near HIS home, the crate) than face the frigid temps outside. In a way, I can totally see his canine logic, but that is not acceptable to me as his provider of resources. This morning, for example, he did not want to go when I let him out. He just sat there begging me to let him back in. When he finally did go (I had to physically go outside to join him and coerce him), he had LOTS of business to take care of. If I caved into his pleading eyes and let him back him, he no doubt would have left me a double present inside the house. While not Alaska weather, it was 3 degrees F with a -20 degree F wind chill! Oh, I forgot to mention that he finally did his business after I brought him back in briefly to put on his Chilly Dog winter coat.

Until we got this cold spell (we actually had the warmest December on record here in the Boston area), Harley had no issues running into the yard, taking care of business, and coming back. That's what led me to believe that he knew that the yard was for potty and not the house.

I can't wait to train him with the Poochie Bells, but something tells me when it is super cold, he will not want to ring them, especially if it means going outside!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.