Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LapDog said:
It is all about trying to PREVENT peeing in the house...so nonstop letting him out. Usually if a dog has problems peeing in the house its not the dogs fault.(
This is so true. This is what needs to be done...roll up a newspaper and hit YOURSELF over the head with it, while saying "I did not watch my dog, I did not watch my dog".

Seriously-most housetraining problems occur because people give dogs too much freedom before they've earned it. An unreliable dog shouldn't be allowed out of your sight..it's no different than allowing a toddler to roam around a house unsupervised. Puppies that want to leave your general area are dogs up to no good!

During the times when you can't watch the puppy closely, either put it outside or crate it. When it's out of the crate, you need to keep the dog under close scrutiny. If you see the dog start to exhibit behavior that predictably occurs right before eliminating-TAKE THE DOG OUT, then praise it extravagantly when it eliminates outside.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
There was really good advice given to you on this thread. If you use the search button you can look up past advice on this, I think this was a discussion topic in the town hall topics too.
The only thing I can add is I think the original poster said she'd only had this dog for 7 days..and as such, it's a little early to worry about whether the dog will ever indicate it needs to go out. Dogs learn through consistency and persistance..keep on doing what you're doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.