Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kyro is Nearly 6 months old, and he still goes in the house, not all the time... but he does do it, and its getting disgusting. Its Snowing outside and I know Ky is cold, but does anyone have any Good methods? :help_up_2

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
under the Town Hall Topics there is a forum on housetraining...just continue letting him out ALL the time. Especially after he Eats, sleeps, and plays. I remember when duchess was a puppy...if I knew it was about time for her to have to go potty...I'd take her out...and walk her around until she went...then Id walk her around some more to see if she had to go the other way...sometimes I was out there for a half an hour just waiting for her to go because it defeats the purpose of taking her outside to go potty...and then bringing her inside where eventually she finally goes. It is all about trying to PREVENT peeing in the house...so nonstop letting him out. Usually if a dog has problems peeing in the house its not the dogs fault...so just keep up with your efforts :) I know its hard in the cold:(

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
LapDog said:
It is all about trying to PREVENT peeing in the house...so nonstop letting him out. Usually if a dog has problems peeing in the house its not the dogs fault.(
This is so true. This is what needs to be done...roll up a newspaper and hit YOURSELF over the head with it, while saying "I did not watch my dog, I did not watch my dog".

Seriously-most housetraining problems occur because people give dogs too much freedom before they've earned it. An unreliable dog shouldn't be allowed out of your sight..it's no different than allowing a toddler to roam around a house unsupervised. Puppies that want to leave your general area are dogs up to no good!

During the times when you can't watch the puppy closely, either put it outside or crate it. When it's out of the crate, you need to keep the dog under close scrutiny. If you see the dog start to exhibit behavior that predictably occurs right before eliminating-TAKE THE DOG OUT, then praise it extravagantly when it eliminates outside.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Murreydobe said:
This is so true. This is what needs to be done...roll up a newspaper and hit YOURSELF over the head with it, while saying "I did not watch my dog, I did not watch my dog".

Seriously-most housetraining problems occur because people give dogs too much freedom before they've earned it. An unreliable dog shouldn't be allowed out of your sight..it's no different than allowing a toddler to roam around a house unsupervised. Puppies that want to leave your general area are dogs up to no good!

During the times when you can't watch the puppy closely, either put it outside or crate it. When it's out of the crate, you need to keep the dog under close scrutiny. If you see the dog start to exhibit behavior that predictably occurs right before eliminating-TAKE THE DOG OUT, then praise it extravagantly when it eliminates outside.
I agree with all of this (well...except for hitting myself with a newspaper lol). I've done this with each puppy I've ever owned and theyve been fully house trained by 3 1/2-4 1/2 months old. It works really well for most dogs.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
My parents are having a heck of time housetraining their corgi pup; but it's just what Murreydobe said: they've given him entirely too much freedom too soon.
Like LD, I tried to anticipate her needing to go. I'm surprised we didn't wear a hole in the rug infront of the door or even the door off the hinges in the early months :) But she was as reliable as any pup could be by the time she hit 4 or 5 months. I can honestly say that every accident she ever had in the house was my fault.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
At such a young age, their bladders are still developing and they do not have control of them yet. If your able too, you should try to make the schedule for them. Take them out every hour and then increase the time when they get older. This will help establish that out side is for bathroom business. When inside, it is critical for them to not have very much freedom and need constant supervision. You might consider the umbilical cord method of having a leash on them, tie or attached to you some how. This way they will all ways be with you, so you can watch them. If you can't watch them, they should be crated.

If it comes to a time that you think they should have gone and they didn't when you took them out, put back in the crate and try again to go outside. Usually i did not spend more than 10 minutes with them outside. Any longer is going to make it a play time instead of doing their business. When they do go outside, give a ton of happy voice praise and rewards that shows them this is a good thing. I also developed a humming like potty song that I do, to let them know I want them to go....Its very corny, and quite embarrassing in front of strangers, but it works for me... just adding to the already helpful advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also agree with letting them out ALL of the time, its annoying but you dont want to give them the chance to let you down. Also, we taught Duke to "hurry up" that way if we are going to take him in the car he knows to empty his bladder even if he doesnt feel like it right then. Once he learned what it ment, it kept our outside time down which sounds like a good idea since it sounds cold where you are. Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Housetraining an older puppy (8 months old)

We rescued an 8 month old Dobe a week ago and have been successful with potty time only when we keep him to a fixed schedule. It goes like this: morning walk, return home and pee, eat "breakfast", then some crate time. Once out of the crate, he'll do a bowel movement. Then hanging out with him out in the yard, over the course of the next 4-6 hours, he might pee one more time. Then dinner time finally comes, he eats and goes into the crate for a bit. We take him out of the crate to go potty and he does his final pee time for the night. After that, we play until he gets tired and starts "acting up" a bit and then it's time for bed.

One time I broke that schedule (the scheduled potty break after the crate time after dinner) and I paid the price. The thing is, I was within an arms length of him and I was able to stop him from peeing mid-stream, but I swear I didn't see any signs that he needed to go. We were playing fetch in the house and he just dropped the ball and started going! I rolled up the metaphorical paper and started whacked myself over the head for being so careless!! (The reason I broke the schedule was that I assumed he was housetrained already and he would let me know when he needed to go out.)

Another time, we kept the regular schedule, but I guess this particular night he had another bowel movement to go. Again, I was right next time him, so I was able to grab his collar immediately and brought him outside.

I guess my question is: when is he going to equate potty with outside, and just outside? I follow a lot of the tips about saying "go potty" and then rewarding the dog after he goes. The time he went pee inside and the time that he attempted to go poop, he was very nonchalant in the moments leading up to it--just as he approaches the duty outside. He made no attempt to alert me that he need to be taken outside to go.

I feel like I can't give him any freedom in the house unless he JUST went both pee and poop. Am I taking the right approach to the housetraining? The thing is that if I always keep him on this schedule, I will never know if he is truly housetrained...

·
Extraordimary
4,966 Posts
Actually, it's probably good that you did have a couple of accidents that you were able to catch and correct because otherwise the dog may have trouble understanding that outside is right and inside is wrong. If they never do wrong, they may not learn the difference.

Many dogs don't alert their owners that they have to go out.

It sounds to me like you're basicly on the right track. As time goes on, you can lengthen your schedule and not do it always at the same time.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
You can go to Poochy Bells.com & get some bells to hang on the door you use to take him out to go potty ring the bells everytime you take him out say lets go potty or what ever words you want to use. I have been house training my dogs this way for years put the pup on a 6ft leash go out with the pup.Go to the same area of the yard stand in one place let the pup have all of the 6ft leash to smell for a spot to go,if the pup goes Praise like it is the best thing you ever saw you can also give a treat if you wish I do not.Tell the pup the key words each time if they do not go take them in crate them or put them in a area that is easy to clean. Take them out after eating, playing, sleeping about every 2 hours a little longer in between if older.You have to go with them each time can't just turn them loose they forget why they are out there.Allot of dog show people use this method. It is great on trips, cold weather, rain after a bit of time if you are faithfully doing it the above way then you can open the door say go potty or key words & they will run out & go its great in cold weather works for both pee & poop.You only have to be faithfull a few weeks for an older pup takes longer for a younger pup of course.Even worked with my hard headed Minnie Doxie took about 4 months she now rings the bells on the back door & goes out to do her business..
Patches Mom
Good Luck

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Jasmine sleeps through the night about 9 hours. When she wakes up I take her outside and she does her business. But...she does not ask to go out and would think nothing of it to pee on the floor. She does not yet get the concept that peeing outside is the only place she must go.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Accidents WILL happen - sometimes I think pups are like little kids: they'd rather wet their pants than pull themselves away from whatever their attention is focused on at the time. I really don't have a lot to add - keeping Java confined to an area where an accident wouldn't do damage (mud room w/ washable floor), and ALWAYS taking her out after she drank or ate, plus time in between helped a lot. I know, you will probably feel like you are spending all your free time in the dog run trying to make him 'go'. Praise him like crazy when he does go - neighbours will think you have lost your mind, but it can't hurt! At 17 mos, Java has only just started to give a short bark or whine at the back door when she needs to go out. Good luck - he'll get it eventually!

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Mine potty on command, I taught them using treats and praise b/c we travel often and also that command comes in handy at shows. When they go outside as puppies, they don't get attention or get to play until they potty ( I say go potty until they do) and when they do they get tons of praise (sometimes a treat) and get to play and have fun. They catch on very fast. Even comes in handy in the rain.

I use the crate method when they are young, and never let puppies roam unsupervised so they can't pee or poop where I can't see them, I also feed on a schedule and take them out all the time, even at night. My Dobes were always reliable by 3.5-4.5 months with housetraining. All accidents are my fault b/c puppies bladders are very small and sometimes they just can't hold it that long. If they do go in the house I just tell them no ad scoop them up and they finish outside and get praised for going outside.

There was really good advice given to you on this thread. If you use the search button you can look up past advice on this, I think this was a discussion topic in the town hall topics too.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobesanddragons said:
There was really good advice given to you on this thread. If you use the search button you can look up past advice on this, I think this was a discussion topic in the town hall topics too.
The only thing I can add is I think the original poster said she'd only had this dog for 7 days..and as such, it's a little early to worry about whether the dog will ever indicate it needs to go out. Dogs learn through consistency and persistance..keep on doing what you're doing.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
JavasMom said:
Accidents WILL happen - sometimes I think pups are like little kids: they'd rather wet their pants than pull themselves away from whatever their attention is focused on at the time.
Ha! Ain't that the truth!! :) When Chi finally got to where she'd tell us when she had to go out - She would wait until she was ready to bust! To this day, she tells us she has to go out by bringing something (normally a pilfered sock or dishtowel) and does this funny little dance. When she was younger, we learned real quick that when she did that dance with something in her mouth, she had to go NOW! If we tried to get the object before we opened the door, she'd start to piddle. I'll never forget, one day, my friend was over for coffee. I had to run upstairs and get something and by the time I came down she was standing in the kitchen with a dishtowel in her hand and surrounded by puddles, the whole time, Chi was dancing around her. She felt so bad "I'm so sorry... I really though you were exaggerating when you told me about Chihiro and her silly towel/pee thing! She brought it to me, I guess I shouldn't have taken it from her!" She was probably 9 or 10 months before she had better control of her bladder and was able to hold it long enough to hand over the stolen object and get outside :) As I type, she's dancing at the back door with a sock in her mouth LOL

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great stuff! Thanks for the replies everyone. I was beginning to think that I was overly obsessed with the potty training, so it was monopolizing my day.

I swore that he looked at me and then walked over to the door today to let me know he had to go. I took him out and he went pee. Later on, after about an hour had passed, he pulled the same maneuver on me. I thought to myself, no way, but I wasn't going to chance it. However, as soon as we went into the potty area, he found a stick and started playing with it. The little devil, I thought, played me for a fool. So, I pulled him away from the stick, and did my little potty routine with him, walking him in a circle and saying, "Go potty. Go potty." Lo and behold, he started sniffing, stopped, and then squeezed out about 4 fluid ounces of pee as if to please me. Could it be that my little fella is starting to get it?? Hope springs eternal!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Sometimes it takes a lot of patience to housetrain a puppy. It will not happen overnight, and some will take longer than others to grasp the idea. Stick with it and it will come together. Make sure you know what you want your puppy to do to go outside. Some people want their dogs to speak to go in and out for example. You should be teaching him what you want if you want something specific. Harmony and Asher stands at the backdoor waiting. If I don't notice them, they come to nudge me and let me know they have to go. They did that on their own. Doodle on the other hand paces frantically. When he has to go, he has to go. He waits until the last minute.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well, Harley is now a year old and he's still not reliable in the house if we break his "regular" potty schedule. While he understands "Go potty" and goes on command, he apparently doesn't necessarily feel the need to wait for me to issue the command outside.

Today, after we got back from the dog park, he emptied his bladder inside the house. Now maybe I should have told him to potty before going in the house, but I *know* I saw him go a few times at the dog park so I didn't think it was necessary. At any rate, I figured he would find me to let me know he needs to go out, but he didn't.

Several times a day over the past 4 months I've been praising him whenever he potties outside. I assume he would have made the connection that outside equal place to potty, but he obviously has not made that connection yet.

I just ordered the Poochie bells and I'm going to start ringing them whenever we go outside, but if he doesn't equate outside, and outside only, with potty, will the bells make a difference?

At some point will he just magically figure out that inside the house is not the proper place to go? I would love to give him more freedom outside his crate when I can't hover over him, but today's accident let me know that it is not possible yet.

Thanks!
Harley's Dad

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
eph94 said:
Well, Harley is now a year old and he's still not reliable in the house if we break his "regular" potty schedule. While he understands "Go potty" and goes on command, he apparently doesn't necessarily feel the need to wait for me to issue the command outside.

Today, after we got back from the dog park, he emptied his bladder inside the house. Now maybe I should have told him to potty before going in the house, but I *know* I saw him go a few times at the dog park so I didn't think it was necessary. At any rate, I figured he would find me to let me know he needs to go out, but he didn't.

Several times a day over the past 4 months I've been praising him whenever he potties outside. I assume he would have made the connection that outside equal place to potty, but he obviously has not made that connection yet.

I just ordered the Poochie bells and I'm going to start ringing them whenever we go outside, but if he doesn't equate outside, and outside only, with potty, will the bells make a difference?

At some point will he just magically figure out that inside the house is not the proper place to go? I would love to give him more freedom outside his crate when I can't hover over him, but today's accident let me know that it is not possible yet.

Thanks!
Harley's Dad
I dont think he will magically figure it out. I think it has to be trained just like anything else. I think the poochie bells are a great idea. I had something similar when Rommel was little. I have thought about getting some for Ziris too. She is good as long as you stick to a schedule. She has had a few accidents, but they werent her fault......she came in and barked at me like a loon.....but she loves to bark and growl and act like a nut, so I just figured she was being a little demon like usual. Then about 1 minute later she squats right in front of me........so now.......any time she does it, we go outside.

You just have to figure out what his "signs" are. Keep a close eye on him, and freedom in the house has to be earned. Really the crate is the best tool for that. My male was easier to potty train, but I dont know if that is the "norm" or not......he is the only male I have ever owned. I know that you do not EVER want to allow him to start marking in the house, I have heard it is pretty hard to break.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts