Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an 8 week old female Dobie and am in the process of house training her. Two things I need help with: First, when I take her out she tries to always go on cement vs going in the grass. 2nd. Sometimes she will be outside for several hours and when I bring her back inside, the first thing she does is go in the house. We also have an older (9 yr old) male golden retriever. Any insight or suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to DT.

You need to lead her to the grass and when she pees, give her goodies and praise her big time. Don't scold or discipline on the concrete but praise on the grass.

Why is an 8 week old outside for several hours? How long have you had this puppy?

Do you have any photos of her?

KC

·
Registered
444 Posts
When house training, have patience. An 8 week old puppy does not have the capacity physically or mentally to be totally housebroken. Be consistent. She should be brought out several times and taken to the same spot. When my pups would sniff around I would repeat.... "do potty, do potty". Once they did potty praise was given as GOOD potty!!! If you can't be watching her place her in a SIZE APPROPRIATE crate. Not too big!!

Just be consistent. It will come. Dobes are smart.

Reactions: coachrdbrown

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
If she is outside unattended for especially 2 hrs, you do not know when the last time she finished peeing. You need to establish basic housebreaking before letting her go on her own or she will pee on the carpet, it is a heck warmer. LOL
when they are that age, they can go 2 mins later get excited and in a second stop and pee right in front of you.

Reactions: coachrdbrown

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
There are actually a lot of advantages to training them to go on concrete as it is easy to do pick ups, clean and disinfect. ...and no nasty surprises when you mow ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts