Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic came up elsewhere and got me curious. I'm not talking counter surfing, charging the door when guests arrive, sleeping in bed with you, or being allowed on the furniture. I'm thinking of rules that might not be as universal. It surprised me a little how many do not allow their dogs to have balls in the house. I understand squeaky balls or something like a Jolly Ball, but regular old Chuckits are a no? Or dogs not allowed to place their head on the coffee table. This one never occurred to me. . . in terms of just placing their head on it as opposed to chewing something on it. I figured I was probably more lax than most as it's only me and I don't often have company, but now I'm wondering how "soft" am I????

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I don't let my dogs sleep on my bed. They have a bed of their own on the floor on my side of the bed.
I don't allow the dogs in the dining room when we are at the table eating.
I don't allow rough housing. They immediately are ushered outside to play rough.
I do play chuckit ball with them. Throwing it at a wall for them to catch midair.
I use the word 'settle' a lot. If I am reading they have to settle on the floor at my feet with a bone or whatever.
I will let a dog on the couch if they want to lie down. Jada had her spot on the couch. My 18 month old 'Rush' is not allowed on the furniture. He loves tromping, jumping or woofing out the window.
Gets too excited. Maybe someday he will earn that privilege.

I am giving all the negatives and rules, but I love my dogs around me. I'm one who had fairly strict rules with my five children growing up. Probably more strict than most families, so it carries over.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Beau is allowed on furniture, allowed all manner of toys, allowed to put his head on the table or counter (because they are head height), etc. He is not allowed to bark out the window more than once, trash troll in the waste baskets, steal laundry, or take food off someone’s plate. I’d say that is pretty “soft”. 😁
Dog Window Carnivore Ear Working animal

Dog Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Carnivore

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Dog Carnivore Comfort Dog breed Ear

Dog Carnivore Jaw Ear Sleeve

Dog Comfort Carnivore Working animal Fawn

Dog Comfort Carnivore Window Liver

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
15,015 Posts
The main rules are 1) don't potty in the house; 2) don't steal food off of the counters or plates; and 3) don't harass the cats. They seem to think that rules 2 and 3 are open to interpretation. I do expect them to remove themselves from furniture when asked and to crate quietly (meal times are noisy, which I don't like, but what the heck...). And you would not believe the number of toys, chews, and tennis balls Simon has strewn about the place.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I sure wish mine would obey the rule to -'Pick up all your toys and put back in the toy box'. Instead they plan devious ways to place them in the hallway so Master can step on them in the middle of the night and break an ankle.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Ziva has a couple of tugs in the house but usually not Chuck it balls. Is allowed on the sofa and my bed because I like the company. But immediately removes herself if I ask. Wouldn't even think of counter surfing or exploring the trash and I could leave my dinner on the coffee table, leave the room, and she wouldn't touch - but will stare at it and drool.
Knows "settle" and crates up when asked.
She was easy to train, I think maybe just born with good manners.
I may be considered "soft" but our system works for us!

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
I was a reincarnated drill sergeant according to some of my friends.

After the first Dobe the rules got changed a bit.

I don't ever let dogs on furniture--they have big dog beds in every room and when they are puppies I make a point of sitting on their beds with them.

When I have multiple dogs they are not allowed to play with each other in the house (all houses were too small for that)

No one, not even the cats can counter surf.

Dogs may not chase or tease or pester the cats.

Cats may not tease the dogs.

Dogs may bark but only once.

If I had a piano and a piano bench I would certainly allow any dog who wanted to oversee the piano playing to sit on the bench.

As much as I'd like it if the dogs picked up their own toys they don't so I am the official toy picker upper.

And the cat who recently learned something bad from some dog (not one of mine--they don't touch shoes) but the cat is now dragging my shoes from the bedroom to the living room by their shoe laces. Not something I've ever had to explain to a cat that it isn't allowed in the past.

The allowed inside toys are either loose in the kitchen (and stepping on some of them is akin to stepping on metal jacks in the middle of the night--I turn on a lot of lights now. Or they are in a toy box in my bedroom and I pick them up when I make the bed and they are loose in the computer room. We all step on and stumble over them in that room.

Dogs are not allowed to inspect the contents of the litter box--that belongs to the cat.

There are some outside toys which are not allowed inside (too dirty).

I'm sure I've left some off but those are the more important ones.

dobebug

·
Registered
642 Posts
No stealing of anything or chewing up stuff. They are both amazingly good with this, even a plate of cooked chicken on the counter we could leave it there, and they wouldn't eat it.
They are not nice when there are toys in or out so they get them rarely.
Allowed on the couches.
They sleep on their own beds until dawn, then crowd us. Loki asks for me to drape his blanket over him after he got up to rage at the coyotes.
No barking inside. No excessive ( more than 2 minutes) outside.
Eat your carrots, begging always allowed!

·
Premium Member
14,365 Posts
As we have got older , the rules have softened up some - use too be they could not get on any furniture , But when Ali girl got sick , she could lay on the couch with her head next to one of us to get rubs , Then there was that one day that Mr. Business thought if she could do it , it was fine for him to do it , lol and he did .

Then LG came here and seen Mr. B up on the couch and she hopped up there , took her a while as she was just a puppy : ))

The only toys they really have is a west paw balls which they love and this is my fault , but I open the door to the house from the garage -office area and I can bounce the ball off the door and it shots into the house with Mr. B in high-speed pursuit - then it is my tie to get into trouble , lmao -- it really is a great way for him to get exercise in the winter .

NO food surfing - that is a great way to get into BIG trouble here and they know it but still will test me : ))

They do sleep with us , I get LG and she is the best , When I was in the Hospital for the knee , I kept waking up felling for her or calling for her , One night I had woke up and I was feeling the bed , calling for her when the door opened up and the nurse asked if everything was OK , lol

Barking ? go for it , When they do - they always come running for me and then turn and run back to where they started , they are alerting me there is something not right , I do tell them it's OK --- After I check out the problem and they will " Try " and stop barking .

We have NO dog beds here - they mean well dobers ) but for some reason at 2 weeks , they go poof !

Trash ? our trash can is in an enclosed cabinet and the ones in the garage have tight fitting lids on them that snap on

As good as they are - I would never trust either one with food like Chicken on a table - lol LG will NEVER be trusted !

BTW - Both tell us every night when they do their prayers they hope they never have to go to Aunt Bugs house , LOL

·
Registered
7,639 Posts
Outside toys stay outside.
Balls are not for indoor use, and dogs are not permitted to keep them after they've been played with outside. They do come in and get a rinse in the sink before being put up.
NO OBNOXIOUS SQUEAKERS. Ellie is, thankfully, less obsessive about squeaking. Ripley was obsessive about it, to the point we'd get headaches.
Anything fed via Wobbler can go anywhere in the house, but right now meals fed in a bowl are fed in her room (since we aren't crating).
Furniture access is only when invited, and only when calm.
No dogs on the bed, ever. EVER. I'm a light sleeper now and that would absolutely keep me awake.
No excessive barking, ever. Bark outside more than twice and everyone goes inside, no exceptions. Bark once in the house, we thank you - bark more than that and you're shushed.
NO JUMPING AT DOORS, EVER. Nor on people. Nor on counters.
Because of her reactivity she's on leash 100% of the time she's outside.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
Kato and Tia are allowed on the sectional in the family room since it’s leather and easy to clean. I usually have one on each side of me watching tv. They are not allowed in the living room (new furniture). Kato sleeps in bed with me (he is a rescue who slept in the bed since a puppy and it was too much of a pain to break that habit). Tia sleeps in her bedroom crate. I’m pretty easy going with rules; toys are ok, no extreme rough housing though.
Brown Dog Comfort Carnivore Dog breed

·
Registered
446 Posts
Count me on the soft side. I slept with 3 Rottweilers for years. They were not allowed on any other furniture, though. Nowadays the rule is no furniture at all. I no longer sleep like a rock but toss and turn a lot, so no dogs on bed.

No roughhousing in house, no jumping up in any circumstance, and people who encourage that kind of thing get told to quit it in no uncertain terms. Toys, yes, even squeaky toys. I've had to put one of those up in order to carry on a conversation with a friend on the phone more than once, but that always stopped when the puppy stage ended.

Some things are personal. For instance, in puppy kindergarten with Gibbs a big thing was made of getting the puppy to wait at doors. I never did that and in fact don't like a dog coming out of a door behind me. I want them first. That's probably because I had Rotties for years, and Rotties are no respecters of personal space. They're leaners and bumpers, and I never wanted to take a chance on a dog coming from behind me and bumping into me.

I've never had trouble with counter-surfing until Gibbs the German Pinscher. It's a no, and we're working on it. He is better, but probably mostly because I'm better about not leaving anything tempting on a counter.

No stupid yap barking. A reason, okay.

My dogs do get people food, and their main job in the household is prewashing dishes. My dogs, my choice.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
6,722 Posts
Dobes allowed on designated furniture, not on big beds until last two years as seniors. We had sectional couches, but got tired of handling the covers. When Spock & Eva were seniors, we ordered a heavy leather La-Z-Boy Duo recliner loveseat, specifically for the Dobes and dad. Since Spock and Eva rarely cuddled together on same spot, this picture means a lot to me:

Spock & Eva Dreaming Together on Loveseat
Brown Furniture Couch Comfort Carnivore

LIfe of Riley

Dog Couch Carnivore Comfort Dog breed

Neo Continues The Legacy :)
(Maybe someday we'll get a Nova?)
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Fawn Companion dog

General House rules - Baby gates restrict dogs to kitchen, foyer, office (crate location) when we're not home.
No upstairs (exercise room) or Master BR unless we're with them.
Toys- Only play with smaller toys inside house, large retrieval toys outside. (2) Toy boxes available with proven Dober-proof toys/chews.
Deliveries at front door- Dobes into kitchen
Visitors to house - Dobes in crates/ gated office or backyard, until properly introduced.
Barking- Now conducting bark training with Neo to limit to (2) barks/event using kibble treat diversion. Eva was previous watchgirl/ barker, got worse when she had fluid buildup in lungs from CHF in final 6-months, so didn't reprimand her.
Big Bed- Neo only allowed up with Dad for afternoon naps, otherwise uses crate or Costco beds around.
Potty Time - Dobes all trained to ring bells on doors, except Eva who was too stubborn to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are rules in my house and manners.
Rules include that Magnus isn't allowed on furniture unless invited, toys are always allowed
Ring the bell to go outside
He has a training session before dinner every day
He's brushed every day

But the manners are more important to me.
He has to sit so that I can put his leash on before we go outside
He waits for permission before crossing any threshold that leads to outside
He sits to be pet, no jumping allowed, especially with my 9YO daughter and with guests
He goes into his crate whenever anyone is eating

1 - 17 of 17 Posts