Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
jim said:
I was reading one of the dog magazines and saw an article for the House of Hoytt. I have been into the site before but decided to take another look.
Maybe I'm missing something here but I just don't see that his dog's are that bad. They have been breeding for 50 years, if the dog's are so inferior why are they still in business? He's a broker, OK, so what? Does that automatically make him bad and his dog's inferior? To the best of my knowledge he doesn't sell to pet shops. He also has a pretty extensive questionaire. Why isn't the internet full of complaints about his dog's? Why isn't there an online petition about him like there is about Kimbertal?
Everyone seems anxious to jump on the bandwagon with their negative opinion about Hoytt's but I think there is only one Hoytt dog on this forum and the only thing I ever heard Jessie say is that she had some dandruff issues and was slightly oversized. You can say the same about the majority of the Doberman's being bred today. A very well known breeder listed many champions. They listed one male who is a BISS champion, he is 29 1/2" tall.
Another one of their champions is a 28" female. Shame on the judges for pointing dog's so far over the standard. If these dog's were used in breeding then shame on the breeder. There is another breeder whose site I was into. They have bred untitled, OFA fair dogs and are asking $2,000 for their pet/companion dog's. The health tests are also pending on one of their females. Pending? What if the results come back less than favorable, then what, she's already bred. Both are DPCA members. Is this responsible breeding, breeding to improve the breed? I don't think so!
It's my understanding that Barry Hoytt doesn't health test but if he's breeding to the same lines without any health issues is testing really necessary.
I don't know Mr. Hoytt, never spoken with him and probably never will. I just think he's getting a bad rap from a lot of people with opinions and no hard facts to back them up.
But, I do think his dog's are a little overpriced.
He's a commercial breeder with a gimmick, and he sells a lot of dogs for very inflated prices. So does Kimbertal up my way. They both will sell to anyone with the cash, and dogs of their breeding end up in rescue on a pretty regular basis. Just because some of the dogs are nice looking does not mean anything......I hope to God that if someone has been breeding that many dogs for that long that some of the dogs would be nice looking.........they sure don't make it in the show ring.

There will always be people out there that feel that the more you pay for something, the better it is - breeders like Hoytt have figured that out.

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
jim said:
Just so we don't beat this topic to death this will be my last post.
Hoytt would not be my breeder of choice. The point I was trying to make is that I don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be. Yes, he breeds oversized, over priced dogs. That's obvious, it's right on his website for everyone to see. He's not trying to hide it. He also has an option for standard sized dogs. Barry Hoytt isn't doing anything differently than other breeders, with the exception of breeding so many litters, that hide behind membership in the DPCA and other groups to give the perception that they are reputable breeders when they are not.
I was talking with a very well known breeder, I'm sure everyone on this site has seen their pedigree. I told him I liked a male closer to 26" than 28" with 27" and around 75# being ideal. He chuckled and said "try to find one". But everyone wants to cruxify Barry Hoytt for breeding over the standard when oversized dogs, from "reputable breeders" , are everywhere.
I don't think Mr. Hoytt will be nominated for the DP Breeders Hall of Fame anytime soon. Again, I don't see the Internet full of complaints, or pending lawsuits, from owner's of his dog's claiming that he mislead them.
I honestly think the thing that bugs people the most about Barry Hoytt is that he makes his living off of selling Dobermans.
I think it is very telling that Barry Hoytt is NOT a DPCA member. He is doing a lot of things differently than most of the breeders who are in the DPCA (there will always be a few bad apples). If you don't see the difference between him and most of the reputable breeders out there then I give up.

I see plenty of males in the show ring who fit the standard without being oversized. Being over the standard size is a fault and is judged accordingly.

·
Premium Member
9,094 Posts
Blackdog said:
Cyrus cost me half that - all but 3 dogs in 5 generations a Ch., including multiple best in show champions, all health testing done. There are breeders who are more interested in good homes than the almighty $$$$$, you just have to look around.
I agree, I've never paid anywhere near $2000 for a Doberman and my dogs pedigrees are like blackdogs. I can see paying that for a nice show quality puppy, but once you are known as a good show home (and have proved it) most good breeders will work with you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.