Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cyrus cost me half that - all but 3 dogs in 5 generations a Ch., including multiple best in show champions, all health testing done. There are breeders who are more interested in good homes than the almighty $$$$$, you just have to look around.

jim said:
There is another breeder whose site I was into. They have bred untitled, OFA fair dogs and are asking $2,000 for their pet/companion dog's. The health tests are also pending on one of their females. Pending? What if the results come back less than favorable, then what, she's already bred. Both are DPCA members. Is this responsible breeding, breeding to improve the breed? I don't think so!
It's my understanding that Barry Hoytt doesn't health test but if he's breeding to the same lines without any health issues is testing really necessary.
I don't know Mr. Hoytt, never spoken with him and probably never will. I just think he's getting a bad rap from a lot of people with opinions and no hard facts to back them up.
But, I do think his dog's are a little overpriced.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well thanks Tracy, I'm flattered - or rather, Cyrus is.

As far as buying from a reputable breeder, my best advice to anyone would be to join your local DPCA Chapter Club and let people get to know the kind of person you are. Study the breed, learn all you can and most of all DO something with your dogs - obedience, agility, therapy, whatever.

Even though I've been a DPCA member since about 1999, and a Miami Valley DPC member since 2000, I was checked out six ways from Sunday to be able to buy Cyrus. I'd had dobes for 10 years (all rescues), been MVDPC President and Secretary and never even considered breeding a litter, and I still had a home inspection from someone Cy's dad's owner knew and trusted.

If you start out in dobes by breeding random dog A to random dog B, you're going to have an uphill battle ever getting a reputable breeder to believe you've changed your ways.

TracyJo said:
You know Tyson, it's really kind of hard to be jealous of something we all could have if we wanted. It's not as if HoH or K-tal are picky on who they sell their dogs too - Their only requirement is a credit card or lots o' cash.
If I were jealous of any owners here it would be BlackDog - have you seen the pics of her dog? Not just anybody and everybody is approved to own a dog from a reputable breeder.
And, I'd pit my "greyhound" Dobe against a Malamute any day when it comes to strength - this little girl is all muscle!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.