Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh, so this dober teen stage is rough. Lately, Gunner has forgotten EVERY house manner he ever had. He used to be really good most of the time. He had manners, wouldn't bother the kids while they were eating, not hyper, etc. Not anymore! He is constantly doing everything he's been taught not to. Chewing the kid's toys, chewing the couch, counter surfing, jumping up on people, etc. I feel like we are back to square one. Should I really start over with tethering and everything or is there a better solution? I will admit that our weather has been rough lately so he hasn't been getting his normal amount of exercise in the backyard (it got badly flooded and is still a mud pit) but we are still doing daily walks at the park and lots of indoor play. Any suggestions? I know this will pass, but now he's 85 lbs and having bad house manners is not an option.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
When I walk a pup for the sake of walking and play with it for the sake of playing, I am clearly training it to my voice and expectations.
- thru. mental stimulation & positive corrections

If gunner was treat trained, where they ever weined off completely (for an extended period) ??
- if not, their lies the root of the problem...as I see it (artifically got results, early on)
(BTW - one reason why I don't treat train in OB & household manner's / not like I am teaching weave poles and the biscuits would be a nice lure)

·
kopfgeschlagen
2,671 Posts
I would focus more on training. I have gone through the same thing with Elke and she responds well to more training. Little bits here and there, just for 5 minutes, several times a day. It is like I have to remind her "we have manners here" so she will keep it in mind. We do simple things like leash work, crate work, sits & downs, etc. She has been responding well. I also just bought a book of dog tricks we are going to try - it is supposed to rain all day today here so I think it is a good opportunity!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
The exercise is probably a large component - combine this with a dog testing you and you'll have more of a mess. :) Find another way to exercise him - at least walk different paths, do some short sprints, fetch in the house, play hide and seek with a toy or bone or the like.

Take him out to places like hardware stores and pet stores and work on focus on you with distractions - this is tiring.

Make a flirt pole! That would be fun for him and for the kids to at least watch even if they can't do it with him. (Not sure how old they are.)
Any dogs you know that he gets along with that you can schedule play time with?

You'll just have to take a step back in your training and treat him like he was at an earlier stage. Be super consistent and don't let him take any milimeters, let alone inches. ;) You may have to be more firm. Step it up in all boundaries - i.e. he needs to work on his control - sit and wait before going through the door outside prior to your walk. Sit and wait until the food goes down - essentially increase the NILIF behaviors. Work on things like Stay, Wait, Leave it, etc. You may have to rescind some privileges that he's earned - ie tether him again or crate him more.

Good luck! If you stick it out you'll get through it.

Taking an OB class right now should also help - we had to do that every once in awhile for Silas when he was that age. Structured time to focus with distractions.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Since the previous owners never allowed Chase in the house, or bothered to train him, I got a 90lbs(at the time) 2 yr old puppy. Gunner sounds just like Chase, and Chase still slips up in his training every now and then. So yes, I would go right back to basics, kind of like a refresher course, and up the exercise.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input and suggestions. He is solid on obedience commands and is rewarded with praise only. I will definitely up his exercise and work on starting back like I did when he was younger. I know it's hopefully just a stage but I definitely want to get it under control.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Did you ever take him to obedience classes?
^^^^ I was wondering the exact same thing...and didn't see the OP's answer, to the question asked.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. He is solid on obedience commands and is rewarded with praise only. I will definitely up his exercise and work on starting back like I did when he was younger. I know it's hopefully just a stage but I definitely want to get it under control.
If Gunner was solid in OB (as suggested), I compare it to much like a child learning to ride a 2-wheel bike...some things are never really forgotten.
- its all in the fundamental training or lack off

·
R.I.P. Justice
48 Posts
With the others on this one... I'm kinda left with the impression he didn't have formal obedience training. Beaumont seems dead-on with his advice. Obedience training or not, I feel for you and the situation you are in - hoping that Gunner is just going through a mini-phase and everything goes back to normal soon enough.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^^ I was wondering the exact same thing...and didn't see the OP's answer, to the question asked.

If Gunner was solid in OB (as suggested), I compare it to much like a child learning to ride a 2-wheel bike...some things are never really forgotten.
- its all in the fundamental training or lack off
Yes, he has had obedience training. I've had several private lessons. Like I've said, his training is not my biggest issue. He will obey any command that he's been taught as far as sit, down, stay, leave it, etc. What I'm having issues with are his manners when I'm not giving him a command. I've contacted our trainer again and will start sessions back again this week.

·
R.I.P. Justice
48 Posts
Yes, he has had obedience training. I've had several private lessons. Like I've said, his training is not my biggest issue. He will obey any command that he's been taught as far as sit, down, stay, leave it, etc. What I'm having issues with are his manners when I'm not giving him a command. I've contacted our trainer again and will start sessions back again this week.
I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Please let us know how it works out, your experience could come in handy as a learning tool for others with doberteens that "forget" their manners.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Please let us know how it works out, your experience could come in handy as a learning tool for others with doberteens that "forget" their manners.
No problem :) I missed the question where someone had asked about obedience training...my fault. My trainer is coming on Tuesday evening to evaluate what's going on and she's positive within about 4-6 sessions we should be back on track. She's also a CGC evaluator and knows that certification is a goal of mine, so I'm very hopeful this is just a minor bump in the road.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
If he follows his commands as you say then use them. Have him place and he must stay there for as long as you need. He is old enough to stay for a couple of hours on a dog bed or area you send him to. I had a very difficult time with Eli when he was Gunners so as the others said, keep training and be very consistant! If Eli got up from his place I'd put him back as many times as it took. He would punk my grandson and that was not an option so I had to be tough and consistant. He is 3 now and all I have to do is snap my fingers and he runs to his place and stays. My grandson was here last for the weekend as he often is and he was play wii and Eli just left him alone or stayed on his bed, he was awesome. He has turned into such a great dog with wonderful manners no matter what is happening in the house no matter how much company. He is a star in the house but when he was 1 - 2 I despaired. Hope that makes you feel better. Keep up with classes, I did and it really helped plus allowed us to be closer and closer. I adore my dog but he was soooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo much work. LOL. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts