Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...our pup is now about 9 1/2 weeks old. We brought him home at age 8 weeks. We've been working very diligently with him to house break him; we watch him like hawks and try to take him out about every 15-20 minutes and every time we take him out, he pees immediately and of course we praise him. He sleeps through the night in his crate, and I get up at 5:30, take him out and he immediately goes #1 and #2. Sounds good, right? Here's the problem: There are times when I take him out, he pees once or twice, and then I bring him back in. He'll walk around a bit, and then proceed to pee on the floor, less than a few minutes after I brought him back in! I don't get it. Could there be something wrong with him? At almost 10 weeks, a pup should be able to hold it in for more than 10-15 minutes, shouldn't he? Especially right after he comes back in from outside? When we catch him, we raise our voice, pick him up and take him out, then clean the area thoroughly. I mean, it seems like he "gets" it. Go outside, go potty. Everything else, he's catching on so fast. I say, "let's go outside" and he goes running down the stairs to the door and is ready to go. He's learned to sit (well, about 75% of the time, LOL) but the potty training, well, that's a bit frustrating right now. When I take him for his next round of shots next week, should I mention this to the vet to see if she thinks there may be something physically wrong like maybe some infection?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Raising your voice after being fully trained is valid but 1.5 weeks after getting him is not sending him the message. Take back outside after his fubar again and be patient and consistent.
He could easily grasp the concept that peeing again, he gets to go back outside.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Ok...our pup is now about 9 1/2 weeks old. We brought him home at age 8 weeks. We've been working very diligently with him to house break him; we watch him like hawks and try to take him out about every 15-20 minutes and every time we take him out, he pees immediately and of course we praise him. He sleeps through the night in his crate, and I get up at 5:30, take him out and he immediately goes #1 and #2. Sounds good, right? Here's the problem: There are times when I take him out, he pees once or twice, and then I bring him back in. He'll walk around a bit, and then proceed to pee on the floor, less than a few minutes after I brought him back in! I don't get it. Could there be something wrong with him? At almost 10 weeks, a pup should be able to hold it in for more than 10-15 minutes, shouldn't he? Especially right after he comes back in from outside? When we catch him, we raise our voice, pick him up and take him out, then clean the area thoroughly. I mean, it seems like he "gets" it. Go outside, go potty. Everything else, he's catching on so fast. I say, "let's go outside" and he goes running down the stairs to the door and is ready to go. He's learned to sit (well, about 75% of the time, LOL) but the potty training, well, that's a bit frustrating right now. When I take him for his next round of shots next week, should I mention this to the vet to see if she thinks there may be something physically wrong like maybe some infection?
I would stop doing this immediately, all it's going to do is confuse your dog, and make him not want to go in front of you. Never yell at him for going in the house, just clean it up and remember to watch him more carefully.

This is what pups do... They have very minimal bladder control, and when they have to go, they do, wherever they are. Most dogs don't start to get more reliable and tell you when they have to go until at least 3-6 months... Some may be sooner, but it shouldn't be expected.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm maybe I'm expecting too much then. I've had 2 German Shepherds, and both of them caught on within 2-3 weeks (at about 10 weeks of age), one even went to the door and whined when he had to go. Our 2 Shi Tzus, same thing. Both were potty trained and (as far as I know) rarely, if ever had accidents in the house by the time they were 3 months old but that was because we watched their every move and took them out quite a bit. I understand that pups will have accidents, but I just worried about him going mere minutes after being brought back inside, especially since I'm taking him out so much - at least 3 times per hour. And every time I take him out, he goes right away.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hard to say if he's going a normal amount without knowing how much he drinks. You can figure about 15 minutes after drinking needs to go out.

When we were potty training Dakota, my wife had problems, because after Dakota peed outside, she would get a treat. So, Dakota caught on quickly that if she peed, she would get a treat, and it seemed like she would go much, much more often. Steph thought the same thing, that there was a problem with Dakota... I told her Dakota had simply trained Steph to give her treats!! lol

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Hmmmm maybe I'm expecting too much then. I've had 2 German Shepherds, and both of them caught on within 2-3 weeks (at about 10 weeks of age), one even went to the door and whined when he had to go. Our 2 Shi Tzus, same thing. Both were potty trained and (as far as I know) rarely, if ever had accidents in the house by the time they were 3 months old but that was because we watched their every move and took them out quite a bit. I understand that pups will have accidents, but I just worried about him going mere minutes after being brought back inside, especially since I'm taking him out so much - at least 3 times per hour. And every time I take him out, he goes right away.
Your not expecting too much, he might very well have the idea but like I said he could be smart enuf to know, peeing again will get him back outside. These guys can be crafty with peeing and even play games with ya. My first dobe would fake the door just to go outside.
Presently I am working on Nubis with a bell cuz he will goto the door but the bell will be more easier. Now when he runs to the door, I will ask what's wrong and he will fake a squat.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
That was the way Parker was, having to go every 15 to 20 minutes and I gave him no treat and it was much later it hit him to ask to go out just to go out. Seems like he was 5 months old before it slowed down. Nearly ran me to death!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I'm voting for a medical reason for this, and greatly suspect your pup has a urinary tract infection. Try to take a fresh urine sample with you to the vet next week, or (better!) take a sample and drop it off tomorrow and have them check it or send it out (if they suspect that is necessary).

The other thing that occurs to me is that if it is cold and freezy, your pup might be reluctant to stay outside long enough to finish doing what he has to do. I would teach him a command to urinate (say nothing until he assumes the position and then very quietly and repetitively tell him what he is doing... big happy Pee Party when he is done, complete with immediate treat outside). When he understands "Go pee!" you can tell him to go AGAIN if you suspect he urinated just enough to be comfortable, but he still needs to urinate more.

When there are accidents in the house, is it a little puddle or a big puddle?

·
APS SGT
1,427 Posts
I'm voting for a medical reason for this, and greatly suspect your pup has a urinary tract infection. Try to take a fresh urine sample with you to the vet next week, or (better!) take a sample and drop it off tomorrow and have them check it or send it out (if they suspect that is necessary).
Im with mmctaq on this. My male had a UTI and then a kidney imbalance when he was a puppy. He urinated every 5-15 minutes, and drank crazy amounts of water. I too suggest a trip to the vets for a check.

As a side note, I think your expectations for housebreaking are a bit high.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
Please remember he is still a baby you would not expect a human baby to be potty trained in a week or two.Do not yell at him raise your voice he does not have a clue why you are mad at him. Have him check for a UTI buy your vet just in case.
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw.You need to go out with them to see that they are going + you can praise them. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts