Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ok I have an idea for all of you with hot Dogs! you need to make them a Cool Collar! it is very easy! Take a bandanna and cut it on the triangle- now fold the top of the triangle down so that you make a tube at the top. Sew the top down and one of the ends so that the top makes a opened ended tube- fill the tube with about 1/4 to (just less) 1/2 teaspoon of the product called "cracked Ice" (it is the product that when you get it wet it expands and holds water for several hours and looks like small pieces of ice)
Now sew the other end shut. soak the bandanna in cold water for a hour or so. wring it out very carefully and then put it around your dogs neck and tye the bandanna on. this will keep your dog cool for several hours with out being wet! I made a bunch for my agility class on summer for the dogs and the owners when the temps were 100+ Both the dogs and the owners were cool and were able to work out. Let me know if you have any trouble with any of the sewing instructions or getting the cracked ice product and I will help.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
brumwolf said:
Wish i knew about this in our summer last year,went to an outdoor show,
Temps in the low 30's (C's don't ask to convert to F) Tia gets best in show,
I get heatstroke and end up sick for two days!
Is this cracked ice stuff a product for retaining moisture for plants if so i know what it is, if not then i don't have a clue.
It is the same thing. when wet it looks like ice only smaller pieces. Some places use it to grow plants in without dirt. If you have a problem finding it let me know. or if you have a problem making the bandanna let me know and I will make you one! I am very handy with a sewing machine.
found a website for you--http://www.crystals.us/CICrystalIce.htm
this website even tells how to make the cool collars but it says to use a teaspoon, but i have found it is way too much..it makes it very bulky for the dog. 1/4 to 1/2 is better. good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.