Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have a very hot dobe. No, it's not what you're thinking........all our dobes are pretty hot in our eyes!!!! :tongue23:

I currently have a dobe walking around the house with a wet towel draped over her body! And she, who usually tears anything and everything to pieces, has not touched this towel. Jeddah has stopped panting for the first time in weeks, the poor darling. Current temperatures are actually the coolest we've had for a while, it's only 30.4 C, converted to Northern Hemisphere speak, is 86.72 degrees F. I don't know what the humidity reading is at the moment, more to the fact, I don't want to know!!
I WANT MORE SNOW PICTURES PLEASE........ :cool2:

Thanking you in anticipation!!!! *just wiping the sweat from the keyboard*

·
Registered
1,752 Posts

Jedski, this might help you think cool thoughts. This is Katie, last winter it snowed pretty heavy in the local mountains so we really took advantage of it. It rained like crazy here the last few days (about 60 miles east of Los Angeles) and tomorrow should be clear enough to see the mountains and find out how much snow's up there. My dogs are crazy about snow-hikes. I can't wait.

I've been reading about Australia's heat wave in the papers. It must be HOT to make the news halfway around the world! It gets pretty hot during our summers here too, several weeks of temps over 100 degrees F is not uncommon. When we get tired of it we head down to Dog Beach where the temps rarely get above 75 degrees F, only about 60 miles/100 km down the road.

I heard somewhere when dogs get hot a good thing to do is spray misted water on thier tongues and armpits. My dogs don't tolerate it though. What I do instead is fill their bowls with ice and water (I know, Jeddah and ice!). With any luck, it'll cool off before long.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh how it must be nice being warm (of course not that warm tho lol). I'm in Ontario, Canada and our temps are very humid for January. It's 0C today. Very odd. It should be about -10C lol. I'm not complaining tho. We have more then enough snow...so if it's humid I wouldn't mind it melting some ;)

I haven't had to experience Bruno in the heat yet. Our summer's are okay...highest we get is 32C, the highest I've seen it go is 40C. So hopefully our summer will be a cool one so Bruno doesn't get to uncomfortbale. Other wise it's days in the a/c for us lol.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ok I have an idea for all of you with hot Dogs! you need to make them a Cool Collar! it is very easy! Take a bandanna and cut it on the triangle- now fold the top of the triangle down so that you make a tube at the top. Sew the top down and one of the ends so that the top makes a opened ended tube- fill the tube with about 1/4 to (just less) 1/2 teaspoon of the product called "cracked Ice" (it is the product that when you get it wet it expands and holds water for several hours and looks like small pieces of ice)
Now sew the other end shut. soak the bandanna in cold water for a hour or so. wring it out very carefully and then put it around your dogs neck and tye the bandanna on. this will keep your dog cool for several hours with out being wet! I made a bunch for my agility class on summer for the dogs and the owners when the temps were 100+ Both the dogs and the owners were cool and were able to work out. Let me know if you have any trouble with any of the sewing instructions or getting the cracked ice product and I will help.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Great Frznbuns!!

LOL Jedski, I think more than half of my photos are in snow!! Right now the weather is worse than snow IMO, although hubby disagrees and says "at least you don't have to shovel rain out of the driveway"! But it is COLD and RAINY!!!! Yuk!!!!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Awesome instructions Frzbns. We need to make them a sticky topic so we don't loose them or forget when summer roles around for everyone else :) I know that I enjoyed our late morning, ultra-long, walk yesterday with such wonderful weather of around 68. I'm going to miss it when we have to go back to walking in the dead of night!
Jedski, I'm with you, almost. After 3 years in North Dakota, I didn't think I'd ever miss snow but I do a little. Of couse, I still love the fact that we are at the beach several times a week :)
A friend of ours took a package trip to Australia for Christmas and just got back. He loved it but couldn't get over how incredibly hot it was LOL

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Wish i knew about this in our summer last year,went to an outdoor show,
Temps in the low 30's (C's don't ask to convert to F) Tia gets best in show,
I get heatstroke and end up sick for two days!
Is this cracked ice stuff a product for retaining moisture for plants if so i know what it is, if not then i don't have a clue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can make tons of cool stuff for your doggies using the cracked ice product. When i was in 4-h we made beds(mats) for our doggies to lay on in between compitetions. If you're really skilled with a sewing maching you can make coats for your dogs or whatever else you come up with. :3dbiggrin

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
brumwolf said:
Wish i knew about this in our summer last year,went to an outdoor show,
Temps in the low 30's (C's don't ask to convert to F) Tia gets best in show,
I get heatstroke and end up sick for two days!
Is this cracked ice stuff a product for retaining moisture for plants if so i know what it is, if not then i don't have a clue.
It is the same thing. when wet it looks like ice only smaller pieces. Some places use it to grow plants in without dirt. If you have a problem finding it let me know. or if you have a problem making the bandanna let me know and I will make you one! I am very handy with a sewing machine.
found a website for you--http://www.crystals.us/CICrystalIce.htm
this website even tells how to make the cool collars but it says to use a teaspoon, but i have found it is way too much..it makes it very bulky for the dog. 1/4 to 1/2 is better. good luck!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the cooling tips guys, will definitely be giving them a shot. Haven't used a sewing machine in years, but will drag it out and see if I still have those old skills to try frzbuns' bandanas! I also like the idea of the cool mats, thanks animalcracker.

Brumwolf, have suffered from heat stroke a couple of times....not nice at all. Worst headache I've ever had!! Beats a hangover any day.

Chaz, love Katie's pic in the snow. Being from a warmer climate, I'm always amazed how dogs just stand around bare pawed in the snow! I always thought dog's feet were quite sensitive.

Just rubbed salt into the wounds of my poor husband, told him that Luv_my_Bruno said it was 0 in Ontario. I don't think he wants to hear anymore dobertalk goss....

Lex, can never get enough pics of Lexus in the snow. With that new camera of yours, there should be no excuses!

Temps are similar to yesterday, but humidity not as nasty. Just went looking for Jeddah and she's sunbaking on the back deck, its 32 C at the moment!!!! So we've had words, and I've dragged her back inside where it's way cooler. We've decided that air-con will definitely be installed before next Xmas. Yeah, we've said that before too.....:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts