Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
121 - 140 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
It was a great day.

66.5 lbs this morning on his 1st birthday, 3.5 lbs up from Sunday, and today we spoiled him out of his mind. We trained outside in the morning, played in the afternoon and he had his birthday cake after dinner. The day was a resounding success, evidenced by the fact that he is soundly snoring on top of my legs as I type this.

To commemorate the day, there are a ridiculous amount of pics.

His first sitting pic, 2 months old the day after he came home:

3 months against the bricks:

Today:

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
5,400 Posts
All I can say is that's one happy Dober, that sure lucked out on his family! (y)
Of course he would learn how to catch the Frisbee, with his athletic body, he was destined for that skill. Glad he filling out more for you at 1 y/o.

Are those pics of you training him Go to Place (or Mat)? After Sit, this was first thing we trained with Neo, along with Wait before he got his food bowl (best training time)
It helps a lot for deliveries and in obedience class. I take his rug from the car seat into class with us, so Neo has a piece of home base to go to that keeps him calmer.

Reactions: melbrod and LadyDi

·
Super Moderator
22,832 Posts
Happy birthday!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,116 Posts
It looks like an inflatable camping pad to me. But that doesn't mean it can't be repurposed.

Great pictures. And that cake looks good enough for me to eat (if I didn't know what it is likely made of.)

·
Premium Member
11,404 Posts
As usual I spend a lot of time with new pictures of Hope laughing a lot. The cake in particular was hilarious--Hope looked so suspicious--"Is this really mine?" Beautiful cake--and I was gratified t see he finally figured out that it really was his, all his.

dobebug

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Thank you everyone! It was a Hope-centric day, even more so than usual, and I think he was surprised by the amount of relentless attention he received.

Hope and I were up early this morning since he has no concept of Daylight Saving and is still on the old schedule, and we sort of just sat around and waited for my wife to wake up.

It was a nice, quiet morning with no jive turkeys or deer walking by to spark the barky drama. :)

Are those pics of you training him Go to Place (or Mat)? After Sit, this was first thing we trained with Neo, along with Wait before he got his food bowl (best training time)
It helps a lot for deliveries and in obedience class. I take his rug from the car seat into class with us, so Neo has a piece of home base to go to that keeps him calmer.
You got it - That's "Place!" It's one of the earliest commands he learned and it's been invaluable.

Hope had his first obedience class Friday and did a great job. It started with commands that he's known for a while, but it was the positive socialization with the other dogs that really cemented our need to be there. It's an adolescent class so they are used to (if not expecting) some unruliness, and Hope did not disappoint, but he calmed down very quickly and did very well at his first session!

Some pics:

So far, so good.

Again, I hope everyone is having nothing less than an amazing Sunday, and please give your awesome dogs a boop for us. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Still 66.5 lbs. A bit of an eyebrow raise this morning when he ignored the food in his bowl, with his stomach gurgling and percolating like there's something afoot, but he had a lot of morning energy on our a.m. walk. He caught the brain scramblies and ended up losing his footing and tumbling down a short embankment.

He was completely fine, and got right up and started trotting around like nothing happened, as is tradition.

Since we haven't used up all of our paid for sessions at the old agility center, and we never will, we still have access to the course. We went back last Sunday when nobody was there.

He had fun, at least, running around the place solo.

Friday's obedience training went well, but once again Hope was beset by a dog who wouldn't leave him alone, who kept getting free of his handler and who walked over to his station and dumped 2L of piss all over his mat. The trainers lost it on the woman responsible for him, sent her outside to see if the dog had anything left in him, and apologized profusely, etc.

I guess there is a question of whether or not she'll be allowed to return since she repeatedly refused (Or was unable to) control her dog, but what really pissed me off was that Hope spent the rest of the night very reactive to the other dogs, something that he hadn't been before.

From calm, attentive to us, and listening:

To this:

To be frank, I have a temper. I inherited it from my father and I have spent decades tamping it down and bringing it to heel, and were it not for the clear anger of the trainers and their hammering of the fool who couldn't control her dog, I would have had some viciously unsavory words for her myself. Hope has had enough challenges with dogs bullying him and/or asserting themselves over him, and he was just starting to calm down in the presence of other canines. This was a set back.

Thankfully it didn't take long for him to refocus and start being himself again.

This is Kelo, a 9 month old Malamute. He was the quietest, most gentle, happily playful dog there that night by far. While my wife grew up with Dobermans, I grew up with Malamutes and they will always hold a special place in my heart. I don't think I could deal with the shedding, but I'll always want one anyway.

Oh well. I hope everyone has a great coming week and Thanksgiving.

·
Super Moderator
28,116 Posts
I think you need to set the agility follies to music. We had some similar stuff back when we were trying it out; I just don't have much in the way of video of Hairy's really good (bad) antics.

Tunnel?? Forgettaboutit...I like A-frame better. - YouTube

The malamute is lovely--but you're right about the hair. It is more than enough for me just to deal with Hairy's leavings. Fortunately his coat is wiry enough I don't have to worry about tangles and extended brushing sessions--I would go absolutely nuts if I had to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I think you need to set the agility follies to music.
Can do. And did!

The video is pretty much perfect now, even my wife can't stop laughing!

The malamute is lovely--but you're right about the hair. It is more than enough for me just to deal with Hairy's leavings. Fortunately his coat is wiry enough I don't have to worry about tangles and extended brushing sessions--I would go absolutely nuts if I had to.
The two I remember the most were amazing dogs, but shed a Lhasa Apso every day. I remember my mother walking around with a push broom piling up little mountains of fur all over the house for me to collect into one bag, and that's enough for me to opt out.

They were such special dogs. Intelligent to the pint of a mischieviousness. And sometimes with a not so subtle malice as well. 🔥

Well the good news is at least such a thing happened in a controlled environment.
Way to go Hope!
What a good pupper for settling down after such an event.
He's zonked on the couch now. We took him for a walk at a local trail that surrounds one of the dog parks and while he still hasn't eaten anything today, which is alarming, he's drinking and seems to have good energy. There's something up with his stomach and it's evidenced by the unholy hell that's coming out of him with little warning to get him outside when the muse hits.

I have to wonder if all of the food we've been throwing at him has backfired, but at least he does look to be a much healthier weight. Perhaps it could be the stuffed animals that he's been tearing apart and maybe consuming more of than I've noticed. Maybe maybe maybe. I just hope he feels better.

I also just corresponded with Gwenn Flynn at Doberman Underground about my rescue elf participation, and hopefully I was able to help at least one dog have a good holiday. I also shared their donation page with some of my more charitable friends, so perhaps, through the forum's ultimate direction, they can see some real help this year.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,228 Posts
The Malamute has a very incorrect (long and fluffy) coat, but he's certainly gorgeous

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Thank you. He is the sometimes concerning light of our lives. He had us up last night from 4-6 a.m. due to having the runs, so right now he's en route to the vet to get looked at. His stomach has been weird lately. He hasn't had solid stool in a few days, and while he's drinking and now back to eating like a black hole from which light cannot even escape, there's something not right here and we need to get to the bottom of it. We're not trying to be hypochondriac jokes worried about every little thing, but this issue has not corrected itself and we need to know what's up.

I can also now sadly add rescue helicopters to the list of things that he definitely does not like. At all. On Sunday afternoon a motorcyclist missed a turn and required an airlift to the hospital, and they almost came down in our front field - they have before - but this pilot did not like the spot and landed close by instead.

Hope cowered in his crate due to the sound and fury and it took him a bit to be coaxed out with treats and requisite cooing and soothing, etc. I felt horribly for him, but he was back to normal within a half hour and acting like nothing had happened.

Never a damned dull moment here I guess.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 · (Edited)
I know I'm updating more often than usual, but I'm glad to report that Hope is fine. Jess took him to the emergency vet due to ours beind closed this week, and we had X-rays and blood work done despite being reassured that he was OK, and that it was just an upset stomach.

"Irritated intestines and gastrointestinal tract" was the official result, and he should be fine. No clue what would have caused it or what we could have done to stop it, and while I suspect it was a stick or something of that ilk that he chomped and swallowed while outside, there was no evidence of blockage etc. and we're very thankful.

Without wanting to get into it, a year ago we were in emotional hell with Red. We were desperately waiting for the call to get him in for radiotherapy to treat his Osteosarcoma and it came too late, so this was a mnemonic kick in the teeth that I could have gone without.

Sigh. I can't believe it's been a year. Time is such a joke.

Life goes on, and Hope is OK. Drugged out of his mind, it seems, but OK.

I'm really ready for the long weekend now, and I really hope everyone has an amazing, safe Thanksgiving.

·
Super Moderator
28,116 Posts
Dobes live to upset their parents at the most inconvenient time. ALWAYS at night, preferably on a weekend, and occasionally they out-do themselves and time it for the holidays.

Gald he's healing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I hope everyone had an amazing Thanksgiving! We've got ourselves a loud barky ...S-Show here. :D

Merlin (Long Haired GSD)

Bowie (Klee Kai)

And of course Hopernicus T. Wildpuppy who is relentlessly bullyragging and vexing the hell out of both of them with his seemingly impossible-to-satisfy need to always be playing.

Pandemonium. Higgilty Pigglety madness. And it looks like this is our weekend.

I hope everyone has a great one!

121 - 140 of 142 Posts