Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
81 - 100 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
I was trying to remember the course name.
Its a foundation class that teaches placement.
Oh where’s Rosemary when you need her ?? LOL
So as the dog progresses into agility it can aide in proper body placement to avoid injury’s to the dog.
Gotta protect those joints And ligaments.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
First, on the potential allergy - I know a lot of dogs struggling this year with itching that haven't before...I think the allergens are really, really bad in a lot of the country. You might talk to your vet.
Absolutely. We have a call in and are awaiting a response.

Second, is the "agility" stuff you are doing sort of a free for all? I have taken agility classes for years, and I've never seen an agility class where all the dogs are having access to the equipment at the same time, or, where a dog is on the A frame and the big equipment without building the foundation skills first. Just some food for thought. Of course everyone can train differently, but I question a bit about how this class works. At my facility girls in heat train all the time, but only one dog works at a time, and it's a lot more structured. I would hate to see an injury happen because things were done too quickly.
I've only been to two "classes," but definitely starts as a free for all with the dogs running around unleashed and a bit crazy. Yesterday was the first with dogs besides Hope and the small girl owned by the trainer, and it seemed like they let loose at first to express some barbaric yawps and then everyone gets to different stations and starts working. The trainer goes from group to group, demonstrating how to lead the dog through the first few times, how to set only low jumps at first, and for those that she has cleared on the A-frame and see-saw, which is Hope is not, she spends a bit more time working with those. At least from what I saw yesterday.

There is also this long, really narrow elevated ramp/walk thing that she did not want anyone near due to potential injury, and of course the little dog was on it within twenty minutes of being warned away.

The trainer didn't notice because she was on the other side of the field helping others, and wasn't super thrilled when she caught sight of it.

We got Hope up and over the A-frame a few times, which is easy for him now with zero hesitancy, and we worked to get him used to jumping over low-set bars. No matter what we tried, he would not go through the hoop jump so we did not push it.

It's all about having him focus on us despite constant distractions. Once everyone had broken off, he still absolutely had his attention yanked away from us multiple times, but things really seemed to get better by the end of the night.

Thank you for the info regarding females in heat participating. Again, I knew nothing about this, saw the potential chaos it could cause especially in a free-for-all environment and am glad to know that it's OK when things are structured. As far as that actual structure goes at this place, well, it may not prove to be the place for Hope. We will see.

Gotta protect those joints And ligaments.
It's our #1 concern right now, especially after watching his swan dive leap onto the paved sidewalk a few days ago. Watching him come down hard on his legs and shoulders, and seeing him process for himself that it was a bad idea even in his adolescent puppy-brained state of invincibility, really hammered home the critical aspect of it all.

·
Super Moderator
22,832 Posts
There are a lot of injuries that can happen to dogs doing agility, especially when they aren't taught how to jump properly or how to do the obstacles properly. It's obviously up to you if you want to continue training at this facility and with this trainer, but you might give it some thought. I'll shut up about it after this post, but I train with someone who has coached agility for decades, including people who compete at top level National events, and works with one of the best sports and rehab vets in the country (I go to that vet myself, and she is amazing).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I'll shut up about it after this post
No no, please no. I prefer the honesty and, not being any sort of authority on this stuff, need the perspective. My gut saying that there are more red flags than the Moscow Kremlin completely agrees and were something to happen to Hope there, I would never forgive myself. It's been a busy day here and we have yet to have this conversation, but I'll be surprised if we continue with this place.

As always, I really appreciate your candor.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
How'd you get up there?

WASN'T EASY!

Ok, random movie quote aside, it was totally easy. He can just look up, flick a leg, and materialize at the top and Nun down on me with those ears. It's insane. And then he'll reproachfully look back like You coming?

The attitude on this dog, I'll tell ya. :D

Interestingly enough, Hope was just over 66 lbs today, so he's lost just under 2 lbs in the past week. We have a vet appointment scheduled for this week to discuss allergies, etc., so we'll see what he is on that scale before spraining any raised eyebrows. We did switch his morning food, and he clearly does not like it as much since it takes a minute or two longer to inhale it than before, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Here are the rest of Wednesday's agility place pics. As I am sure will come as no surprise, they are also the last from here as well.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend, per the Sunday imperative!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Great pics….
Now lets see one of those red brick wall growth chart PICS…..one from say 6 months…..and one against the wall to date.
Now I can oblige!

His first "brick pic"

6 months:

11 months, taken today:

And some outtakes:

I'm just thankful that we got him to sit still for at least one decent shot!

His weight is low. He was only 63 lbs on the Vet's scale, but perhaps he's just not going to be a big Doberman. If so, we are completely fine with it because he's already enough of a bed hog as-is. :)

Our Vet thinks his sometimes relentless scratching and gnawing is due to a food allergy, which would also potentially explain his nightmare farts that started when we switched him to a raw chicken diet, so we have him on a strict beef mix now that actually seems to have had an impact in just a few short days. Fingers crossed. :)

We love him so very, very much.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, as always. :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,116 Posts
Almost twice as big now as he was in the beginning (I counted bricks.)

Male dobes tend to grow up, and then thicken up in their 2nd year. So he could easily put on more weight without looking any taller.

No matter--it's better to be trim than overly beefed up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Thanks - We're fine with his weight! He's healthy, happy, absolutely infuriating and a wonderful light in our lives.

Hopefully he'll stop itching/scratching soon, which is our focus right now, because something is driving him crazy and I feel really badly for him.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
"I hate you" - A test fit of next Sunday's clownery:

Hope is still the same weight at 66 lbs on our scale. Since switching to the beef diet, he still scratches sporadically but has stopped gnawing at himself. He has also gotten better with worrying at the hot spots on his chest and legs, which have diminished.

We have recently seen a large amount of rain and are actually in the middle of a deluge as I type this, but we're old ex-New Englanders so, as they say, "this aint nothin."

Hope's first experience with rain was adorable. In the first light storm, he'd push to go out and look up into the sky.

Until:

This morning, once the winds started whipping and the intensity increased, he'd cower under the eves and is now very happy to be inside. And to be fair, it's pretty nasty outside right now. Leaf floes are streamin' on by the house and the hills behind us are dumping a lot of water into the front yard/field, which is now a swamp.

·
Premium Member
11,404 Posts
"I hate you" - A test fit of next Sunday's clownery:

Hope is still the same weight at 66 lbs on our scale. Since switching to the beef diet, he still scratches sporadically but has stopped gnawing at himself. He has also gotten better with worrying at the hot spots on his chest and legs, which have diminished.

We have recently seen a large amount of rain and are actually in the middle of a deluge as I type this, but we're old ex-New Englanders so, as they say, "this aint nothin."

Hope's first experience with rain was adorable. In the first light storm, he'd push to go out and look up into the sky.

Until:

This morning, once the winds started whipping and the intensity increased, he'd cower under the eves and is now very happy to be inside. And to be fair, it's pretty nasty outside right now. Leaf floes are streamin' on by the house and the hills behind us are dumping a lot of water into the front yard/field, which is now a swamp.

I'm impressed...as long as I don't have to go outside...

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
7,296 Posts
Wind and rain? That's exactly how it looks here in Portland right now. Couldn't be happier. They officially declared Oregon's fire season "Over" yesterday. We're coming off back to back drought years, plus unheard of record high temperatures (116 deg. in Portland!) So every inch of rain and every foot of snow is welcome.

I keep explaining that to McCoy, but he's not convinced.

Hugs to Hope

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
You'd better sleep with one eye open tonight.
And a straight-legged kick right to the back! :D

I'm impressed...as long as I don't have to go outside...

dobebug
Pretty much! There was a triumph earlier where he finally pooped. He wanted nothing to do with the driving rain and would pull to go back inside almost immediately after a few seconds - until it was clear that it was time to get down as he started sniffing and pacing in front of the door. In and out in less than 30 seconds, mission accomplished and one less thing to worry about. Which was nice.

Wind and rain? That's exactly how it looks here in Portland right now. Couldn't be happier. They officially declared Oregon's fire season "Over" yesterday. We're coming off back to back drought years, plus unheard of record high temperatures (116 deg. in Portland!) So every inch of rain and every foot of snow is welcome.

I keep explaining that to McCoy, but he's not convinced.

Hugs to Hope

John L.
Portland OR
Moving from the northeast to NorCal brought with it a host of new weather worries. It was a trade of snow and hurricanes for drought and fires and earthquakes, so I definitely get the need for this kind of rain and it sure would be nice if this storm handled the drought, but I'm sure it will take more than one 24 hour deluge.

I'm glad to hear things are well in Portland, John, and please give McCoy a pat for me. :)

he looks so healthy. such a niceboy
Thank you! He's definitely relatively good. Most of the time!

I hope everyone has a great night,

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Late post today. We just finished with Trick 'r Treaters. We had a whopping two sets of kids, and I was honestly surprised that we had any due to the location of our house and the whole still-in-a-pandemic thing, but at least we had candy ready for them.

Despite currently standing taller than we've ever seen, Hope was again down a pound to 62 lbs this morning. I don't know that I'm surprised at this point given that last week we realized that he was looking skinny. And not just lanky, but almost emaciated in good light with his ribs and vertebrae looking far too pronounced to be healthy. We last doubled his food intake about 1.5 months ago, and clearly we were not feeding him enough so last Monday we doubled it again.

I feel like a horrible parent, but it's crazy how he went from looking fine to alarmingly gaunt in the span of what seemed like a few days. He looked OK until he suddenly didn't. If that somehow makes any sense:

This is after a week of the newly doubled diet. He already looks a lot better, but he's still all muscle and bone to my eyes and I cannot fathom how I didn't realize this sooner. It's like he had some sort of puppy growth spurt and we failed to keep up with his food, but hopefully the newly increased intake will handle this quickly.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,116 Posts
He looks so THRILLED to be in costume.

I said this before, but I thought I'd repeat it just to be sure you realize the seriousness of your situation--sleep with one eye open tonight.

We had no trick or treaters. Perhaps our 32 F drizzly, foggy weather had something to do with it though. Halloween is usually the first nasty wintery day here--tonight was no exception. That's why the base of my kids costumes were always a good pair of sweats, and preferably something that required gloves. And I designed the "masks" to cover their ears and all of their heads.

81 - 100 of 142 Posts