Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)

Hope is 10 months and 64 lbs today, up two lbs from last week.

His personality is starting to shine through. He's seems to think more when processing most things in front of him, he's become noticeably more affectionate especially when he's tired, he now only wants to curl up either against or on top of us when it's nap time, which is now very rare, and he's become an accomplished cuddler. And tyrranical bed hog.

I still carry him to bed most nights. I consider it part of my daily workout. He accepts the lift and nuzzles me like a puppy until I deposit him on the bed.

I was walking him in the yard the other day and a guy with his family stopped to talk about him. He was also a Doberman owner, had just lost his black and rust boy to old age at 16, which we both agreed was a gift despite their emotional abyss, and he said that Hope had now sold him on wanting a red Dobe. "Beautiful dog," he said, "and you obviously love him."

My man, you get it. ❤

At this point we'd be completely lost without him.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend, as always!

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
Awww, this photo....love it!!!

I was walking him in the yard the other day and a guy with his family stopped to talk about him. He was also a Doberman owner, had just lost his black and rust boy to old age at 16, which we both agreed was a gift despite their emotional abyss, and he said that Hope had now sold him on wanting a red Dobe. "Beautiful dog," he said, "and you obviously love him."

My man, you get it. ❤
Wow, 16! Pretty much unheard of. What a gift.

Reactions: Lannie and melbrod

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wow, 16! Pretty much unheard of. What a gift.
He must have seen my eyes go wide because he immediately said "Yeah. We were lucky. He was great until a week before we had to make the call due to how quickly things turned around."

He was obviously struggling and, having been there recently and still feeling the same pain , I felt so badly for him. :(

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
10.25 months, still 64 lbs, still an incorrigible rascal who totally isn't a tear-your-hair-out [email protected]&?er at all!

Jokes aside, he's been a very good boy and constant companion while we redid the flooring in the basement gym. He'd come down, lay down and hang out, and rarely showed much interest in doing anything but relaxing. I'm sure the fact that it has been 100-105 degrees out had a bit to do with it.

He's already quite an accomplished bed hog. Get up for a brief minute? Spot gone. Already in your spot and he wants in? Collapses on top of you. It's pretty great.

Had a recall test recently: A gigantic failure. Hope saw a silver fox in the yard, jolted off and tore the leash out of my wife's hands and cranked into the neighbor's yard in pursuit. He didn't respond to a word she yelled, and it wasn't until I came outside and started running the other way while calling him that he abandoned his abandon and tore his way to me.

Thankfully the neighbor is a dog person and was OK with an adolescent Dobe tearing about her yard, and I think it was pretty obvious that we were trying desperately to get him back. It was actually nice to finally meet her after living here for 6+ months, as most people here seem to keep to themselves a bit, but that's a whole 'nother story.

We still have so much work to do with him. Now that we've seen the failure of what we thought we had locked down pretty well, there's no excuse. Had something happened to him as a result of our poor training I would never have forgiven myself. As with anything in life, you only get so many Get Out of Jail Free Cards.

I hope everyone is well, as always!

·
Big Lil pup
6,963 Posts
Hi CMT,

Thanks for the update. Great photos as usual. We have a full gym in our house also. It sure came in handy during Covid lockdown.

If you haven't already, one thing that you might start to incorporate in your training of Hope is a "Freeze" command. A sort of a "Cease and Desist" order. It's basically: "Stop what ever you are doing and focus on me". It's much different than calling a dog to return to you. McCoy's verbal command is "Halt" with a raised hand to focus on.

I am not a dog trainer so, I found this to be a somewhat difficult command to teach. It is quite a bit different, and quite a lot harder to get consistent compliance, than simple recall. This is because you are interrupting the dog's dedicated priority at the moment. And it may be a really important priority to them. McCoy's compliance to this command is pretty darn good these days, but he is almost 7 years old. As a young dog, even though he understood what I wanted, he sometimes had to make a conscious decision to override very strong natural impulses. Like the prey drive that Hope exhibited when he went after the fox. That can be a really tough decision for a young dog to make! LOL

It takes time and patience, starting with very small and insignificant (to the pup) interruptions. But in the long run, it is worth it. Plus, its kind of fun to teach. It also a good way to reinforce having a dog remain in place after a command until released. BTW... McCoy's release command from a "stay, sit, lie down, etc. is "Free" or a sweeping wave of my hand.

Just a thought.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
That is such a great idea and something I'll be pinging our trainer on - Thank you, John! I get that Hope is still an adolescent and will naturally grapple with what he's learning and learned since he's been with us at this relatively early age, and you nail it when you say that you can see him struggling to listen to us and correct what he is doing at times. Heh. A lot of the time. If not most of the time. :)

I really appreciate the help and perspective!

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
I use a somewhat similar command as John ...not quite as precise, it sounds like, but my dogs understand "Wait". It means to pause and stop what they are doing, generally when we are walking. It's not a stay, but I use it when they get ahead and I want them to simply stop, but don't need them to actually recall. It works well for that need.

However, I certainly wouldn't beat yourself up on the failed recall and the chase of the critter. At his age and with the high value interest prey...honestly, that's just something that I would not expect a great recall away from. Depending on his prey drive, that might be tough for an adult dog to recall off of... I'd expect an adult to respect a "leave it" and not chase/pull the leash out of your hand, but I would also be aware of my dog's limitations, I suppose. It takes a LOT of recall practice to recall a dog off of prey, and some dogs are going to be much, much harder than others. Sypha is not going to lose her mind over prey and her recall is also just over the top - she LOVES to recall. Richter has a MUCH higher prey drive - if something exciting ran right under his nose and he was not on leash, it would be more challenging to keep him near me and then to recall him if he didn't stay with me. It's just who he is. I walk him on a prong collar (still, at age 9), because of this very reason...in fact, a squirrel ran right across the path not a foot in front of him about 2 weeks ago. He nearly lost his mind...quivering, moaning...he didn't bolt, but he was at the full length of the leash, and his life was OVER, HE WAS SO SAD....I was the worst owner ever to not let him chase that squirrel!!!! ;)

All this to say...I would never expect a puppy to have a solid recall yet. It's just too early. So, I'm sure it was scary, and I get it, but...don't feel like you failed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks for the support - I appreciate it. We need a Morning Star leash!

At least he did respond and cook back once I was outside and pulled the trick of getting his attention and running the other way. Otherwise, I had a real fear of him disappearing into the brush and getting lost in the woods. There have been a few mountain lions prowling around at night and with the packs of coyotes that also like to kick up a ruckus, he's toast if he gets lost.

Hope knows "Wait" as well, but it's used at mealtime to get him to sit patiently while the bowl is being prepared. I probably shouldn't overlap that command, right? And find something else to signify that it's time to stop/halt/etc. I'm just wondering if recycling that command could be detrimental to what he's already learned.

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
Yes, we also worked on a down while in motion with both of my dogs, and then "stay." I'll confess I haven't really kept up with that one, but they both used to be decent at it. I also think that's a command that's fairly teachable. But there a lot of components to layer in, and of course always keeping in mind that dogs don't generalize. If you teach it while they are moving next to you, and never while coming toward you with you facing them, for example, you have problems! So, as with all things dog training, the more you can vary the situation so they really understand it, the better.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
10.5 months, still 64 lbs, our beloved insolent red Dobe seems to be learning. We've tripled down on training this past week, have been working on the "Down" command while playing in the yard, and it's clearly going to take a lot more work. :D

It seems like just about every pic I take has him with Flying Nun ears, but I swear that he really doesn't rock the Sally Field look all the time. It's just when he's alert and interested in something, like the morning turkeys that mercilessly taunt him from across the yard.

Those jive turkeys saunter around like the own the place, and the miscreant in me wants nothing more than to release Hope into them but sanity and all of the ways that things could go wrong stop me. Still, I can't help but laugh at the thought of it.

He's such a good boy. I've had people stop while driving by to say "Your Doberman is beautiful" and more often than not they love the name Hope. Except for one guy in a comically lifted truck spewing black smoke out of an 80" exhaust, who gave me a "Hope? Really? Weird name for such a badass dog, man..."

All good my dude, you do you and we'll keep doing us. I hope everyone is having a safe and fun holiday weekend, as always, and enjoy Labor Day!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
65 lbs. Hot dag, he gained a whole pound at his wizened old age of 10.75 months.

We seem to have settled on a somewhat regular morning routine. He wakes us up:

We take him out. This morning, he stared at these weird things in the sky that actually dropped some rare and welcome rain:

In what I have come to call Post Poop Protocol, his energy cranks through the roof and he starts circling me one way, and then reversing and circling around me the other until he finally kicks himself out. I've become pretty OK at pirouettes as a result. I bet I look super cool doing it, too.

Then back inside for a few minutes of quiet while he eats breakfast and then everything mostly starts all over again.

Business as usual here, really. No alarms and no surprises, which these days is a gift in and of itself.

Have a great Sunday, all. :)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've always gotten such a kick out of how they frisk and run, butt all tucked underneath, after a nice big poop. LOL! It's like, "Wow, I just got rid of FIVE POUNDS of crap and I can run like the wind now!" ROFLMAO! I always called it the Poopie-Zoomies. And they ALL do it! All of mine have, anyway, until they get to be a bit too old to frisk like they used to. But they're always happy. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
Oh, I am distracted and jealous of your solar panels!

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I've always gotten such a kick out of how they frisk and run, butt all tucked underneath, after a nice big poop. LOL! It's like, "Wow, I just got rid of FIVE POUNDS of crap and I can run like the wind now!" ROFLMAO! I always called it the Poopie-Zoomies. And they ALL do it! All of mine have, anyway, until they get to be a bit too old to frisk like they used to. But they're always happy. :)
Haha, yes! Red did it too. I swear he never had more energy than when powered by the P-Zs, he would come in from the old yard, which was the size of a postage stamp, and tear around the house from room to room and wouldn't stop until every bed was a big unmade shamble. It's completely adorable and the circumstances behind it are hilarious.

Oh, I am distracted and jealous of your solar panels!
Thanks! It was a realization of a lot of long talks and discussions before finally jumping in. We were pretty happy too, until the first time the neighborhood lost power, at which point we quickly figured out that they had everything wired backwards - All of the non-critical rooms that we specified did not need to be powered were up and running, while the fridges/freezers, office/Internet, etc., were all dark. They had a tech out the next day, but moving everything perishable downstairs to the empty basement fridge so it wouldn't spoil really sucked.

It looks like it's sorted now, so we've got that going for us. Which is nice. :D

41 - 59 of 59 Posts