Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4yr old female
124 Posts
LOVE the big ol FLOPPY ears. My girl's ears are natural too and like you said, they are such a point of amusement

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
My Hoss enjoys an occasional dig to get to the cooler ground.
Your pup smells something down in the hole that is just to hard to resist.
Be careful if there is any thick roots under the ground (like with our Florida Oak trees) those roots can cause some cuts in between their toes.
We let Hoss dig in his mister turtle pool.
Hoss is great at spreading white sand around the yard From his pool!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Quick question - Are Dobermans known to dig? It wasn't something Red ever dig.
I've had five Dobes, and two of them did not dig. The other three tried to go to China the short way. I briefly had two males at one time (I took my ex's dog when he moved) and we called them the Doberman Excavation Team. We lived in Central Oregon and there are rock chucks there (marmots) and we had a pile of rocks in one corner of the property where the rock chucks liked to hang out. They squeak, just like a squeaky toy, and it drove the boys NUTS. They dug and dug and dug and dug in among those rocks... frequently, I'd look out and just see two Doberbutts sticking up in the air, their whole front ends being in rather large holes. The good thing was that I never had to trim their nails. ;)

The other one that dug would just dig random holes in the back yard. Someone told me to put his poop in the holes and he wouldn't dig there again, and they were right. He just dug new holes, LOL! Some of them just dig. Our Pyr is a major digger, but he digs holes to get to cool dirt. All of his holes are Pyrenees-sized, so we have to be careful and not fall into one.

My fourth Dobe, Cody, was 10 when we adopted him, and he never tried to dig. He was happy to chill out on the couch with me. And Zipper, OMG, she was so busy eating everything she could put in her mouth, she never thought to dig a hole. What a high-maintenance girl she was. I'd choose hole-digging over stick-eating ANY day.

·
Registered
4yr old female
124 Posts
Amazing photo! Especially since both of your hands are on her ears - Did someone else take the pic?
No. I used my phone camera and was "holding" between my chin and chest and used the voice command to take the pic.

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
Mine really don't dig, but it's pretty normal dog behavior...I have a lot of friends who provide sandboxes for their dogs and train them to dig there for an approved outlet to dig, and for "enrichment." They will hide fun things for them to find in there...toys, etc. I think it kind of depends on the dog if they are big into digging.

Reactions: LadyDi and melbrod

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
9.5 months, weight unchanged at 62 lbs, Hope seems to have put the digging on hold in favor of eating every branch and stick that he can get down his gullet. It's just too funny - Every week it's something new.

As seen above, the orange cast over everything is due to the Dixie Fire smoke finally reaching us. It's actually not bad today, or at least it's somewhat better, but for the past few days the air quality has been horrible enough for all of us to have remained inside save for bathroom trips.

So I've been trying to tire him out inside.

...and I think it's doing more of a number on me than anything else. :D

My Hoss enjoys an occasional dig to get to the cooler ground.
Your pup smells something down in the hole that is just to hard to resist.
Be careful if there is any thick roots under the ground (like with our Florida Oak trees) those roots can cause some cuts in between their toes.
We let Hoss dig in his mister turtle pool.
Hoss is great at spreading white sand around the yard From his pool!!! LOL
Haha nice!

Hope does get these weird burrs between his paws that drive him crazy, but right now they have gone away along with everything else in the dust bowl.

I've had five Dobes, and two of them did not dig. The other three tried to go to China the short way. I briefly had two males at one time (I took my ex's dog when he moved) and we called them the Doberman Excavation Team. We lived in Central Oregon and there are rock chucks there (marmots) and we had a pile of rocks in one corner of the property where the rock chucks liked to hang out. They squeak, just like a squeaky toy, and it drove the boys NUTS. They dug and dug and dug and dug in among those rocks... frequently, I'd look out and just see two Doberbutts sticking up in the air, their whole front ends being in rather large holes. The good thing was that I never had to trim their nails. ;)

The other one that dug would just dig random holes in the back yard. Someone told me to put his poop in the holes and he wouldn't dig there again, and they were right. He just dug new holes, LOL! Some of them just dig. Our Pyr is a major digger, but he digs holes to get to cool dirt. All of his holes are Pyrenees-sized, so we have to be careful and not fall into one.

My fourth Dobe, Cody, was 10 when we adopted him, and he never tried to dig. He was happy to chill out on the couch with me. And Zipper, OMG, she was so busy eating everything she could put in her mouth, she never thought to dig a hole. What a high-maintenance girl she was. I'd choose hole-digging over stick-eating ANY day.
With the digging on hold, it's interesting timing that Hope has jumped to stick destruction - and not just gnawing but full-on eating the damned things.

Pyr is such a great name. I strongly considered it for Hope once we knew we were getting another red. I'm an old english/classics major and the Greek word for fire and the gravity of its associated meaning - Exactly the kind of relentless, burning, destructive horror that Greece is dealing with right now - seemed like a good name for a red puppy that we knew was coming in to tear things apart.

The image of two aloft Dobe rumps must have been hilarious!

No. I used my phone camera and was "holding" between my chin and chest and used the voice command to take the pic.
Nice! I recently upgraded my camera to one with a wireless remote shutter controlled by my phone, and the result has been completely different perspective shots than I was capable of before.

I never thought of voice actuation to take a pic - That would be insanely cool and convenient!

Mine really don't dig, but it's pretty normal dog behavior...I have a lot of friends who provide sandboxes for their dogs and train them to dig there for an approved outlet to dig, and for "enrichment." They will hide fun things for them to find in there...toys, etc. I think it kind of depends on the dog if they are big into digging.
Sounds like it. Hope goes after that one spot in the yard but doesn't really dig anywhere else.

·
Registered
4yr old female
124 Posts
I never thought of voice actuation to take a pic - That would be insanely cool and convenient!
All of my Samsung phones have had it. I can say "capture" or "cheese" and it will take the photo.

·
Super Moderator
22,551 Posts
Pyr is such a great name. I strongly considered it for Hope once we knew we were getting another red. I'm an old english/classics major and the Greek word for fire and the gravity of its associated meaning - Exactly the kind of relentless, burning, destructive horror that Greece is dealing with right now - seemed like a good name for a red puppy that we knew was coming in to tear things apart.
Gotta be careful about those kinds of naming ideas....we named a cat Pandora once....that was NOT a good idea! :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Oh, no, Pyr is short for Pyrenees, as in Great Pyrenees. His name is Jasper, and he's our livestock guardian dog. Him dig BIG holes, LOL! :)

With the digging on hold, it's interesting timing that Hope has jumped to stick destruction - and not just gnawing but full-on eating the damned things.
God, don't let him eat them. Zipper had two obstruction surgeries, one before we got her for eating a fuzzy cat toy, and the second one after we had her a few months, for eating small sticks and dried weeds, which blocked her small intestine and she lost part of it. Not to mention it was NOT cheap. Please be careful. I had to put a muzzle on Zipper if I wasn't going out with her for her potty breaks, but most times I did go with her. For a stick-eating dog, you want to see every poop, trust me. It wasn't just sticks, either, she'd eat the dead, half decomposed carcasses of things the cats killed and didn't eat, too. Those were disgusting to me, but not dangerous. The dried vegetable matter WAS dangerous. We have a woodstove as well, so I had to cover or try to hide the boxes of kindling from her or she'd eat THAT. So many times I came in from chores and found shreds of wood and a largish stick on the living room carpet. Then the worry: how much did she eat? I loved her more than anything, but OMG, it was a stressful six years while we had her.

We never did figure out what actually killed her (she was 10), but it was something to do with her gut. The vet and I assumed it had something to do with the two surgeries, and all the crap she ate her entire life. Nip Hope's habit in the bud, now, and avoid heartache (and expensive surgery) later. Really.

(I feel like I jinxed you for even mentioning the stick-eating...)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Gotta be careful about those kinds of naming ideas....we named a cat Pandora once....that was NOT a good idea! :D
Heh. I suppose Global Thermonuclear War would be a bad idea too. Plus it would be a tough recall. But I can't stop laughing at:

"What's your dog's name?"
"Global Thermonuclear War."
"...Goodbye."

Nip Hope's habit in the bud, now, and avoid heartache (and expensive surgery) later. Really.

(I feel like I jinxed you for even mentioning the stick-eating...)
Got it. We don't let him eat them, but he did pass an alarmingly long chunk once which is what first made us take notice. Now the default action is to stop whatever we are doing and make sure he knows - repeated ad nauseum until he gets it - that he is not to eat branches or sticks of any sort. As usual he seems to understand, at least until the next time he's caught trying to crunch one apart.

We are absolutely on it.

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
14,057 Posts
Lucky, who, as a six week old puppy was fished out or a storm sewer minutes before the heavens opened up with an inch of rain, did his darnedest to live up to the name. He ate a stick of butter, half a bottle of immodium tablets, chocolate cupcakes and cookies, and other stuff. He went through my in-laws oversized sliding patio window and needed seven stitches to close the cut on his leg. The piece de resistance, though, was when he slipped his collar while we were visiting my in-laws, and somehow managed to cross an eight lane intersection in one of the busiest areas of Anaheim outside of Disney without being killed, only to be picked up by someone who planned on keeping him, but gave him to someone else a few hours later after he and her dog decided they didn't like each other. The second person thought he was too well cared for to be a stray, and called animal control. They put that call together with our earlier call about him being lost, and after six nerve-wracking hours, we had him back.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
See? This is what I'm on about. I'm outside with Hope, up on the hill, patiently waiting for him to do his thing when Jess yells up from the house. I turn around for less than a minute and:

He's no longer eating them, but he sure is addicted to stick.

Here's one for the breed veterans that has me beyond puzzled. Last night during our pre-bedtime walk, Hope started licking a small open wound I have on my ankle from cycling where I had thought I was clipped in and drove my foot into the chain ring. I gently nudged him off it and didn't think anything of it, and I suddenly felt my leg being covered in a lovely disgusting warm wetness.

The little rat had his leg up and was wizzing on my %[email protected]#ing leg! I couldn't believe it. I STILL can't believe it. Of course I yelled and he beat a hasty retreat back towards the house:

And left me wondering what the hell just happened. Has anyone experienced this before? What. The. F.

It's been a weird week, and this was just the chef's kiss cherry on top of everything I guess.

Ugh. I hope everyone has a great weekend, as always.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,433 Posts
That third picture just sends me--it looks like a painting. Sign it over there in the lower right corner and you've got yourself something to frame.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
See? This is what I'm on about. I'm outside with Hope, up on the hill, patiently waiting for him to do his thing when Jess yells up from the house. I turn around for less than a minute and:

He's no longer eating them, but he sure is addicted to stick.

Here's one for the breed veterans that has me beyond puzzled. Last night during our pre-bedtime walk, Hope started licking a small open wound I have on my ankle from cycling where I had thought I was clipped in and drove my foot into the chain ring. I gently nudged him off it and didn't think anything of it, and I suddenly felt my leg being covered in a lovely disgusting warm wetness.

The little rat had his leg up and was wizzing on my %[email protected]#ing leg! I couldn't believe it. I STILL can't believe it. Of course I yelled and he beat a hasty retreat back towards the house:

And left me wondering what the hell just happened. Has anyone experienced this before? What. The. F.

It's been a weird week, and this was just the chef's kiss cherry on top of everything I guess.

Ugh. I hope everyone has a great weekend, as always.
Now thats hilarious!!!!
Hope was just communicating with you !!!Ba ha ha

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Great photos and an adorable boy. Thx for sharing them.

Reactions: melbrod and CMT

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
Now thats hilarious!!!!
Hope was just communicating with you !!!Ba ha ha
If it's any kind of consolation--somewhere, I read that urine (anyone's) is generally sterile so if you have a wound that has a bunch of dirt in it or on it and you don't have an immediate source of water to flush it with you can pee on it (or if that isn't something that works out you can have someone else pee on it for you. Hope must have read the same thing. You'll have to explain to him that you have a fairly immediate source of water so he doesn't need to be doing that for you.

But I did get a good laugh out of it.

dobebug

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
In retrospect, it's funny, now that I've had some time away from it. No clue what the hell all that was about, but I won't be taking my eyes off him on night walks any time soon!

Great photos and an adorable boy. Thx for sharing them.
Thank you! He's 9.75 months today and still just over 62 lbs. He keeps looking more and more mature, but his weight just doesn't seem to budge no matter how much we up his food intake.

It's been really hot here again, so it's been indoor-only playtime for the past few days.

Sometimes I can't believe the way he contorts himself and somehow finds comfort.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts