Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

161 - 170 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
In the old days on DT, whenever someone posted pics of their Dobes with long nails they would usually get a quick reply post(s) with a one word admonition:
"NAILS!" Haven't seen this on DT in a while.

Some Dobes that go cross country hiking or perform agility need the longer nails for better grip, from what I've read in past posts.
You should've told Jess you were testing Hope for agility skills those weeks she was gone, thus reason for the longer nails. (y)
I'm usually much quicker on my feet with retorts/quips/deflections but this time I was too mired in feeling like a clown!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·

Yesterday was an interesting real world test of Hope's demeanor and training and I am so very, very proud. We brought him to the vet for his last monthly weigh in and then picked up wine for this weekend at a local vineyard. As we walked into the above courtyard, two fat little puffballs that resembled Maltese tore away from a table and made a big show of barking and repeatedly lunging at him. He gave no response, looked at me, looked at Jess and calmly walked past them.

As their owners cooed and and coddled their little unrestrained nightmares back to the table, everyone including the staff commented on how well Hope handled the situation. One said that he was beautiful, asked his age, and was again impressed at his reserve at "only 7 months."

As we picked up our wine, a staff member who saw the fracas showered him with praise and treats.

We didn't have much time to reflect on what happened because when we walked outside, it happened again. The same two snarling furballs ripped out from under the table and made another loud scene, but this time a full grown standard poodle, a bit larger than Hope, walked around the table and approached him. This got Hope's attention, and he stared the poodle down until it stopped and looked away.

At this point the drunk harridans had collected their embarrassments for the second time and I had moved between the poodle and Hope. Its owner wouldn't even look at me as she grabbed her dog, which is fine because had she seen the disgusted sneer on my face, she might have said something, and I most certainly had some choice words for both her and the black hole of class that her table represented.

I am honestly still in awe of the way Hope handled himself. He gave no notice to the loud non-threats, he made it very clear that he had no fear of the poodle with a "F around and find out" response with zero actual interest in a row, and focused on us for cues how to proceed.

We sat at a private table for a while and Hope got a few drops of chardonnay as a reward.

I hope everyone has a great weekend, as always. Today is our 10 year wedding anniversary so we plan to revel in the memory for the next few days. With our amazing, loving, red Handler of Business who is a very, very good boy. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
Good boy, and happy anniversary!

Reactions: melbrod

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,795 Posts
Happy anniversary!

You got yourself a good kid there. 🙂

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Thank you both so much! We had a great day and dinner yesterday and plan to spend the rest of the weekend doing absolutely nothing. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
7.5 months, 57.5 lbs. Not much weight change, which is again surprising since his head alone seems to have grown enormously.

We've had a nice, relaxing weekend, with a few hours left to pretend this bewildering world doesn't exist and it's just us.

I hope you all had a great weekend, as always!

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
The holes in the rug crack me up because it brings back memories of almost EVERY dobe puppy we've ever had - LOL!! They do usually grow out of chewing holes in good rugs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
He's turned into such a handsome young gentleman. (I know, ha ha! But I got the handsome part right!) :)

I will never get tired of seeing those ears flapping in the wind as he's running!
Thank you! His ears are such a huge part of his expressions and also his adorable factor, which is obviously off the charts for us. He's been surprisingly tame since Jess returned and his personality and character beyond that of just PUPPY MODE: ENGAGED has started to shine through.

He's attentive, and he listens to us. While there are times when it's clear that he's debating whether or not to listen, we've been impressed with how consistently he choose to do the right thing and follow the command, which gets him all sorts of praise and positive attention. He thrives on it.

So far, so good - Fingers crossed that things continue this way!

The holes in the rug crack me up because it brings back memories of almost EVERY dobe puppy we've ever had - LOL!! They do usually grow out of chewing holes in good rugs.
My wife chose not to destroy me when she saw the altered interior decorations, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice!

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
My wife chose not to destroy me when she saw the altered interior decorations, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice!
I have a hole in the seat corner of an antique chair that has been in my family for 3 generations - it reminds me that I wasn't watching the puppy - haha!!

161 - 170 of 170 Posts