Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

141 - 160 of 170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,795 Posts

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,885 Posts
It takes a special kind of mind to spot these things.
That's why you're one of the Mods, you've all got those "special kind of minds"! 😁 😁

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Insane. Crazy. Membership in yet another club that I'm loathe to join, but now I know that if I can keep the destructive damage to the rugs and eaten leashes, I'm getting off easy!
I should have said (after that bit about the kitchen floor) that Ninja was the BEST dog after he hit about 3 years old. He never did anything wrong, he loved me without limit, he was willing to put his own life in danger to save mine (funny story about burning trash in a fireplace) and was my constant companion and soul mate for nearly 15 years. Once I went off on a 5-day vacation with my mom, leaving Ninja at home with the hubs, and he spent the first three days lying in front of the door, moping. He only left his spot to potty or eat, then went right back to waiting for me to come back through that door. When I heard about that, I swore never to leave him again, and I never did.

What's a kitchen floor compared to that kind of love and devotion? Or holes in a rug? Or a chewed leash? Nothing, that's what. It's just a phase and he'll get through it, and so will you (but you might need tranquilizers, LOL!). You are doing just FINE. :)

Here's another story to entertain you (and maybe make you feel a little better?). A month or so after we got Zipper (our last one), she charged the bedroom window to bark at our Pyrenees, who were walking by outside, and crashed through the inside window AND the storm window on the outside. Broke them both out! Luckily, SHE didn't go out with the broken glass, and she didn't even cut herself, which was a miracle. It was 11 degrees outside and dropping, and a blizzard was just cranking up. And you're complaining about a little hole in a rug? ROFLMAO! You never saw a person cut and duct tape a piece of cardboard over an open window faster than I did that day, I can tell you that! :) It was still pretty cold, though, with just a sheet of cardboard between us and a raging blizzard. Zipper was 4 years old when she did that, but she was a special case. Her brain never grew past lima-bean size, and she only had three working brain cells, one for eating, one for sleeping, and one for barking. Now that she's crossed the Bridge, I'm hoping she got a new, working brain. ;)

I'm not trying to scare you - I've had five Dobes now and Zipper was the only really dumb one. She was full of love, though. Anyway, Hope will grow his brain, but it will be a little while longer before it gets to full size. You just have to be patient with him, and love him. 🥰

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This thread is bringing back all sorts of funny memories (which weren't really funny at the time)! Another Zipper funny: She came back from the far end of the yard after a poop trip one afternoon and was smacking her lips kind of funny. We came back in the house and before my very eyes, her muzzle started growing! That thing swelled up to the size of a football! OMG! I deduced she must have tried to eat a bee. :rolleyes: She no doubt succeeded, but the bee didn't go down without a fight. Some cold compresses and Benadryl set her back to rights in short order, but I swear, that dog could get into trouble even when I was WITH her! LOL!

See? Aren't you feeling better now about Hope? He's not really that bad!

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,660 Posts
Although Hope's body is growing, his brain is slower to catch up.

I have a thread for Sugar from the day he came home (which reminds me he is due for an update). That boy is still growing his brain at over 2 lol. But it is happening. I see it. The love and loyalty part of his brain has always been there. The naughty part still needs a little growth.

Lannie and ECIN and others helped me figure some things out though. He was (and still is really) a puppy/baby. Everyone goes through this.

What I really figured out eventually was that I had to stop comparing Sugar to my old gal. Sugar is definitely not Coco and that is ok! He could never be her and it's not fair for me to judge him by how she grew and developed. I wasn't replacing her after she passed because she was irreplaceable so why do I expect him to do everything that she did! This was a turning point for me!

We can always buy new rugs, floors, carpets, furniture, etc but we can never replace the joy, love, loyalty and devotion these guys give us during their short time on earth with us. And the lessons they are sent here to teach us.

Hang in there. It will get better and your wife will be back to share the caregiving with soon enough.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Haha, you are all too much. I had just gotten in from an afternoon ride:

So my legs were a bit worked. Note to self, leave them out of future shots.

I should have said (after that bit about the kitchen floor) that Ninja was the BEST dog after he hit about 3 years old. He never did anything wrong, he loved me without limit, he was willing to put his own life in danger to save mine (funny story about burning trash in a fireplace) and was my constant companion and soul mate for nearly 15 years. Once I went off on a 5-day vacation with my mom, leaving Ninja at home with the hubs, and he spent the first three days lying in front of the door, moping. He only left his spot to potty or eat, then went right back to waiting for me to come back through that door. When I heard about that, I swore never to leave him again, and I never did.
15 years. There's never enough time regardless of total span, but it still sounds like such a gift given the glaringly obvious.

Red did this as well, and Hope also showed a mini version of the same separation malaise when Jess left. He'd hover around the front door, and whenever someone would come to the door for the first three days that she was gone he'd get excited beyond the usual alerting to the door activity, and then be visually depressed when it would fail to yield my wife.

After a week, we've bonded pretty well. He drapes himself all over me when in repose but weirdly enough doesn't like being petted. He'll have his butt nestled in my armpit with his head unnaturally torqued either on or over my legs, and when I succumb to the temptation to pet him he'll deep sigh, grumble, and then move away if I persist.

It's like ...look, Mr. Dog, you can't just present your adorable self and veto a few head scratches. Life just doesn't work that way.

What's a kitchen floor compared to that kind of love and devotion? Or holes in a rug? Or a chewed leash? Nothing, that's what. It's just a phase and he'll get through it, and so will you (but you might need tranquilizers, LOL!). You are doing just FINE. :)
Thank you and so very, very much agreed. Even with the frustration, I'm well aware of the growing pains and early times that these expressions of puppyhood represent, and I'm savoring it despite the exasperation.

I'm not trying to scare you - I've had five Dobes now and Zipper was the only really dumb one. She was full of love, though. Anyway, Hope will grow his brain, but it will be a little while longer before it gets to full size. You just have to be patient with him, and love him. 🥰
Will do. Even now, at this early stage of the game, I can tell you that we would be lost without him.

This thread is bringing back all sorts of funny memories (which weren't really funny at the time)! Another Zipper funny: She came back from the far end of the yard after a poop trip one afternoon and was smacking her lips kind of funny. We came back in the house and before my very eyes, her muzzle started growing! That thing swelled up to the size of a football! OMG! I deduced she must have tried to eat a bee. :rolleyes: She no doubt succeeded, but the bee didn't go down without a fight. Some cold compresses and Benadryl set her back to rights in short order, but I swear, that dog could get into trouble even when I was WITH her! LOL!

See? Aren't you feeling better now about Hope? He's not really that bad!
Heh. Give him time.

I've seen pics of swollen muzzles post-sting and they can get pretty comical, did her mouth get huge?

What I really figured out eventually was that I had to stop comparing Sugar to my old gal.
Yes. Guilty of this as well. I try not to inject Red into almost every reply I make because of all the same reasons, but the fact is that I miss him desperately, it caves me in to think about how he went out and I am barely out of the prone-to-breakdown mourning mode that will some day simmer into just another pain that I'm used to - So be it, way it goes.

So. Hope was 54.4 lbs this morning, up 4.3 lbs from last week where his weight was unchanged from the week before it.

Back to the telephoto for this Sunday's photos:

One way Hope and Red are very much alike is their lack of caring about their ears being flipped back. Like Red, Hope blasted around the yard with his ears inside out for a good ten minutes before I righted them for him. I kept waiting for him to shake his head, but he simply did not seem to care.

I hope everyone's Sunday is going well, Hope and I are heading out to work on recall, which has been a huge challenge as of late.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,660 Posts
Coco has been gone for over 2 years now and I still miss her terribly. I still have my moments when it really gets to me. She was my best girl.

But Sugar is the sweetest boy in town and has helped me immensely to heal my heart. Big shoes for a silly boy to fill but he has taught me many new lessons and I am grateful for that. He is all about love whereas Coco was affectionate on her terms but was a very serious girl. And I loved that about her.

Hope is so cute with his long, lanky legs! He sure does love his frisbee.

Thanks for all the updates and pics. We love them!

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,885 Posts
...I hope everyone's Sunday is going well, Hope and I are heading out to work on recall, which has been a huge challenge as of late.
Chris, try the Hide N Seek recall game! You hide, then call, hopefully Hope Seeks you for a reward! Might want to practice inside house, first!
Dobermans hate to be alone, out of sight of their humans. You can use tree, around corner of house, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Coco has been gone for over 2 years now and I still miss her terribly. I still have my moments when it really gets to me. She was my best girl.
I'm sorry. I know it's just the way it goes but it hardly makes it hurt less. I'm thankful for both Hope and Sugar and ...well, I can only pray that this sometimes bewildering life makes sense at the end of the movie. And that we get to see them again. I guess that's all there really is to say about that.

But Sugar is the sweetest boy in town and has helped me immensely to heal my heart. Big shoes for a silly boy to fill but he has taught me many new lessons and I am grateful for that. He is all about love whereas Coco was affectionate on her terms but was a very serious girl. And I loved that about her.
Awesome stuff. I hope you both have a wonderful holiday weekend!

Chris, try the Hide N Seek recall game! You hide, then call, hopefully Hope Seeks you for a reward! Might want to practice inside house, first!
Dobermans hate to be alone, out of sight of their humans. You can use tree, around corner of house, etc.
This has worked so well over the past week of training and playing and a good amount of bonding, and I can't thank you enough for the idea. Now, if he doesn't immediately cook back to me on recall, all I have to do is start walking or jogging the other way and he immediately notices and starts galloping towards me. It's to the point where, even if he's half a yard away, he won't let me out of his sight.

These past few weeks of just the two of us have been much needed - something it took my wife leaving to figure out - and Hope is now much more attentive and focused on me than ever before.

His seemingly limitless energy is crazy to me. I'll run him outside for an hour, he'll drop for a half hour and recoup, and then he's ready to go again. If he isn't out enough, he tears around the house with a new agility that makes me wonder how different things are going to be when my friend's Klee Kai shows up. He used to run literal circles around Hope and I can't see it being that type of party any more!

Sunday will be interesting. He's 7 months and will require an update shot downstairs against the brick wall(paper), so if he listens to me and stays still, I've succeeded. If not, we can all laugh at my failure. :)

I really hope everyone has an amazing, fun, safe holiday weekend, and please give your beautiful Dobes a boop for me!

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
Ahhh, recall. So important, and can be SOOOO hard.

Some tips and tricks with teaching recall that work really well for me is to make sure to make recall super fun and rewarding. Use super high value rewards, and when you are teaching recall, always send your dog back to the fun thing they were doing before you used your recall word. You want your puppy to learn that recall doesn't mean their fun stops. That's a big thing that I've found to be so, so helpful in making recall really solid (and NOT doing it can really set you back!).

Susan Garrett has a fantastic course called "recallers" that is excellent.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This has worked so well over the past week of training and playing and a good amount of bonding, and I can't thank you enough for the idea. Now, if he doesn't immediately cook back to me on recall, all I have to do is start walking or jogging the other way and he immediately notices and starts galloping towards me. It's to the point where, even if he's half a yard away, he won't let me out of his sight.

These past few weeks of just the two of us have been much needed - something it took my wife leaving to figure out - and Hope is now much more attentive and focused on me than ever before.
This made me smile. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Ahhh, recall. So important, and can be SOOOO hard.

Some tips and tricks with teaching recall that work really well for me is to make sure to make recall super fun and rewarding. Use super high value rewards, and when you are teaching recall, always send your dog back to the fun thing they were doing before you used your recall word. You want your puppy to learn that recall doesn't mean their fun stops. That's a big thing that I've found to be so, so helpful in making recall really solid (and NOT doing it can really set you back!).

Thank you! I always make sure to keep things fun, and let him know that I'm only temporarily "checking in" when I call him back so he doesn't see coming to me as a chore. If that makes sense.

It's worked pretty well so far. There's only been one time when I panicked as he was booking it towards the street without any way for me to grab the leash, but he stopped well short of the road and beelined to me when I called.

So far, so good.

This made me smile. :)
Thank you, Lannie. I hope the weekend is finding you well.

Hope is 7 months and 57 lbs today, up 2.6lbs from last week and he's really starting to show it. I can't see any of the puppy in him any more - Well, aside from his endless youthful exuberance and energy, of course.

Best I could do. He was in Romp Mode and refused to sit still. :rolleyes:

I really hope everyone is having a great holiday weekend!

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
You're doing a good job...it just takes time. And maturity!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,795 Posts
It's worked pretty well so far. There's only been one time when I panicked as he was booking it towards the street without any way for me to grab the leash, but he stopped well short of the road and beelined to me when I called.

So far, so good.
I had a trainer who trained a hard down at a distance for that. She said that it was very useful if the dog has already done something like cross a road and you can't really call them back without putting them in danger.

Seems to me I remember it was a little easier to get them to down when they were charging off after something interesting than it was to get them to come back.

Of course, she had herding dogs, and I dunno--it seems like they do that almost automatically when they are out herding sheep, so maybe that helped??

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
I survived the three weeks. We survived it, including the house, save for those rug mishaps. Jess is back and Hope weirdly did not lose his mind when he saw her the way that I expected - he focused more on me than the woman whom he hadn't seen in 21 days when we walked in - But within a few hours it was like she had never left.

Hope was the same 57 lbs this week, but I think we culled a bit of that handling my one mistake. This morning Jess grabbed him, held up a paw and asked when I'd last handled his nails. When met with silence and a sheepish shrug, I think she rolled her eyes so hard that she sprained them. I didn't know what to say since I had clearly failed to remember something that had become a weekly routine for us.

This is what they looked like:

I'm frustrated that I did not think of it once while she was gone, but I suppose that it could have been worse as far as transgression go. We love our obnoxious, arrogant, loudmouth bother more than ever.

I know it's been a while since I updated and I'm light on pics, but I hope to resume business as usual going forward.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
4,885 Posts
I survived the three weeks. We survived it, including the house, save for those rug mishaps. Jess is back and Hope weirdly did not lose his mind when he saw her the way that I expected - he focused more on me than the woman whom he hadn't seen in 21 days when we walked in - But within a few hours it was like she had never left.

Hope was the same 57 lbs this week, but I think we culled a bit of that handling my one mistake. This morning Jess grabbed him, held up a paw and asked when I'd last handled his nails. When met with silence and a sheepish shrug, I think she rolled her eyes so hard that she sprained them. I didn't know what to say since I had clearly failed to remember something that had become a weekly routine for us.

This is what they looked like:

I'm frustrated that I did not think of it once while she was gone, but I suppose that it could have been worse as far as transgression go. We love our obnoxious, arrogant, loudmouth bother more than ever.

I know it's been a while since I updated and I'm light on pics, but I hope to resume business as usual going forward.
In the old days on DT, whenever someone posted pics of their Dobes with long nails they would usually get a quick reply post(s) with a one word admonition:
"NAILS!" Haven't seen this on DT in a while.

Some Dobes that go cross country hiking or perform agility need the longer nails for better grip, from what I've read in past posts.
You should've told Jess you were testing Hope for agility skills those weeks she was gone, thus reason for the longer nails. (y)

Reactions: Lannie and melbrod
141 - 160 of 170 Posts