Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
Nothing quite like a puppy having so much fun. I love him.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
he is, like Hope, heavily muscled in the rear--a lot of young dogs don't have that because they don't get enough full out running to develop those muscles.

The other shot you should try to get is the collected part of that sight hound suspended gallop. Where they end up off the ground with all four feet pulled up under them just before they extend again.

Don't stop sending pictures--you've really got a built in cheering section right here.

Bug

PS You almost got a collected shot in this batch--not quite because he already had his hindquarters under him and down for the next big leap forward.
Interesting. It's obviously a common sense cause/effect but I never thought about running and exercise being so critical to muscle development - I dumbly figured that these dogs are simply stalwart by default regardless of activity level!

Collected shot. Got it and thank you for the assignment, I'll be trying for that one now as well!

I miss having a Dobe so much. I'm getting my Dobe fixes from Hope, and Coco Loco's boy Sugar. I can never get enough of either of them. ;)

I remember when I still had a Dobe and just going out for the monthly shopping trip was hard. All day, all I could think about was getting back home to see my beloved. (Oh, you guys! Don't tell Rich I said that! LOL!)

Once, back in Oregon, Rich and I went hiking with Dobe Shogie and mutt Flash, my two boys at that time. Actually, we went hiking almost every weekend - Central Oregon is full of great places to hike and explore. Mindful of the dogs, we only went a mile or two from the car on hot days, and I had a gallon of water and a dish in the car for them when we got back. But this one day, we were almost back to the car and the boys were romping ahead of us, when two yuppie-types came up the trail. They saw two happy, tired dogs, mouths open, tongues lolling, and I guess they thought they were dying of thirst or something, because when we caught up, the man was pouring bottled water into the lady's cupped hands, giving the dogs a drink! I got such a kick out of that. I told them the car was just around that rock down there, and we had water in the car and they looked kind of sheepish for interfering, but then the lady admitted she just LOVED Dobies and wanted a chance to meet Shogie. So we stood around and chatted for a while, and Shogie got all kinds of attention. He LIVED for attention, and it didn't matter from whom. Just pet him and he was yours, LOL!

I see some of Shogie's personality in Hope's pictures. Although you said Hope likes to bark sometimes. I don't think Shogie ever barked at anyone the whole time I had him. He was a total marshmallow, right to the core. :) Shogie was red, too, but a little more (ahem) fleshed-out than Hope. In all fairness, I didn't get Shogie until he was well over 3 years old already, so I missed his lanky teenage phase. I'm REALLY enjoying seeing Hope go through it, though, so it's unanimous! Keep posting pictures! :)

Oh, and also.... THOSE EARS! OMG, those "flying" ears are to die for! ROFLMAO!
What a great hiking story! I'm glad those two turned out to be dog-friendly, and not the sometimes viciously and unfairly prejudiced types of poorly-raised humans. I have a few friends who Red converted into true lovers of the breed, but before him they all seemed to think Dobes were either baby eaters, prone to turning on their owners, or wily, dynamite-carrying bank robbers.

Hope barks, howls, yowls, warbles and most definitely grumbles when he doesn't get his way, which is often. On days when neither of us are able to get him out and run him, he's a total energy supernova at night until he finally settles down around 10 p.m. and then he's usually down for the count.

He can be an infuriating, patience-testing crosser of lines, but we love him. Him and his adorable, floppy and very emotionally communicative ears.

Sometimes I wonder if his natural ears hamper his ability to hear and process the environment around him. When he's alert outside, he always looks like he's trying to stand them up when he's focused on something in the distance, and definitely Nuns it up quite a bit as a result. I keep wondering if cropped ears would be better for him, and maybe make it easier for him to hear without those membranous curtains covering his ear drums, but the ship has long sailed on that particular decision so the question is moot.

The real fun is the task of explaining to someone who refuses to believe that they are looking at a Doberman because "the ears are all wrong." I've had this happen a few times now and it is totally bewildering.

Nothing quite like a puppy having so much fun. I love him.
And he loves you back!

He's very satisfied with himself having just mined the yard with Dobebombs!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
but before him they all seemed to think Dobes were either baby eaters, prone to turning on their owners, or wily, dynamite-carrying bank robbers.
ROFL! Yes! Those people who believe everything they see on TV. Kinda sad, though, when you think about how many "experts" on any given subject got their education from movies.

The real fun is the task of explaining to someone who refuses to believe that they are looking at a Doberman because "the ears are all wrong." I've had this happen a few times now and it is totally bewildering.
I had to take one of mine (again, Shogie) in to the vet for something one day and the receptionist, who was new, didn't know Shogie. She asked me what breed he was. He was cropped and docked, but he was BROWN, LOL! She'd evidently never seen anything but a black/rust Dobe before. She kept saying, "But he's brown." I still don't think she completely believed me when I insisted that yes, he was in fact a purebred RED Doberman. I would expect that from Joe Average on the street, but at the vet's office? That was just weird.

Oh, and don't worry about Hope being able to hear as well with floppy ears. He can move them around to cup the sound and he hears better than you might think. :)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,795 Posts
Oh, and don't worry about Hope being able to hear as well with floppy ears. He can move them around to cup the sound and he hears better than you might think. :)
And teenaged dobes are pretty good at selective hearing. He's likely to start using the "Sorry, I didn't hear you" line as an excuse if you let him.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
And teenaged dobes are pretty good at selective hearing. He's likely to start using the "Sorry, I didn't hear you" line as an excuse if you let him.
I was actually going to say something similar - that he'll use those floppy ears as an excuse:

"Wait, WHAT? You said DON'T do that? Sorry, Dad... I didn't hear you, my ears were in the way." (Yeah, riiiight!)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 · (Edited)

Hope checking out his thread on the forum

I was actually going to say something similar - that he'll use those floppy ears as an excuse:

"Wait, WHAT? You said DON'T do that? Sorry, Dad... I didn't hear you, my ears were in the way." (Yeah, riiiight!)
He's definitely exhibiting VERY selective hearing these days and gets huffy and grumbly when he isn't getting his way, which is more often than not. He's developed a bit more independence and will either sun or lie/nap in the study while we are either working or watching TV in the family room, and he no longer barks incessantly during his 1-1.5 hours of daily crate solitude.

Chew Master G has, however, made it his mission to eat through whatever leash he is on, so we're constantly fighting that. And some light humping but so far, thankfully, not too much on that one. He is still a slave to his immediate reactions and will spark off whenever the doorbell rings or he sees a bird in the yard outside, but they are teaching moments.

...a whole lot of teaching moments, lol, as I am sure you'd all expect at his age.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 · (Edited)
6.5 months and zero weight gain this week - despite looking like he grows bigger overnight, every night. He also has a daily critical energy mass where if he is not given enough stimulating attention he becomes an obnoxious, energetic hellion that tears from end to end of the house until he kicks himself out around 10-11 p.m.

I had read enough to expect this just like I expect the growing habit of ignoring me to get worse before it gets better, but it's something else when you're on the receiving end of both barrels.

Thankfully we've only seen two days where we were so busy that we had to skip the daily hour (or more) of training and running outside, and both times we were left strewn in the wake of the not-so-little red hurricane.

Today I shot with the 16-35 to change things up with some wide shots.

My wife is away for the next three weeks, so it's just Hope and I. It's going to be interesting without anyone to tag in, and by "interesting" I mean I fully expect her to return to a burning house with the dog and I sitting there like:

Once again I hope everyone had a fun and safe weekend and is poised for an even better week!

Heh. I know I'm not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Ha - The lens I used is old, but still considered super-wide by modern standards. It's wide enough to be able to place the camera on the ground and shoot blindly with decent success as long as the exposure is close enough to process the pic to usability. It lets me get stuff like this:

Without getting down on either the floor or ground with him. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·

It's been an interesting, challenging week. Hope seems to be acting up a bit with my wife away, and quite frankly refuses to listen to me at times. I don't know if it's indicative of the age, which I would believe, or if he sees Jess as more of an authority figure, which I would also believe. Unless I have the treat bag on my hip, he flat out ignores me more often than not. Treat bag = The old responsive, willingly compliant Hope, but it's still pretty frustrating.

He's also barking like crazy. When a leaf flits by the whole house knows it. Cat or rabbit in the yard? Cue craziness. Neighbor walking by that he's met countless times? Berserk - And with his ruff up, which greatly concerns me along with his inability to listen when I try to calm him down. It's gotten to the point where I will pick him up and carry him elsewhere to remove the inciting [whatever] from his view, but I know this isn't a viable long term solution. It's like something flipped the Aggro Switch, as if we haven't spent countless hours at this point socializing him ...I really hope this is just Doberman Puppy 101 and not a glaring deficiency in my training, which I guess would be the least surprising of it all.

He suddenly got a taste for the rugs here and worked three big holes in the living room before I saw him at it and stopped it. Then, much later in the dining room while eating dinner, I looked down and he was doing the same thing to that rug. He'd been chomping on a bone so there wasn't any change in his sound, I simply looked down and processed the new horror.

He's also chewing through every leash I put on him, or trying to. If he's bouncing around the house with a leash attached, which is SOP, I am always watching to see when he starts making it his mission to eat the leash.

What can I say, I really know how to handle things when on my own with him. Maybe that burning house quip was more precognitive than I ever imagined. 🔥

He's still my main canine, I just have to figure out how to return his focus to me and not just when I'm plying him with treats. I still have two more weeks solo and I know this is as much a learning situation for me as him.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, as always!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,795 Posts
What a snug-bug!

Don't give him a chance to not listen to you.
I mean, do you best to be in a position where you can enforce your command (pup on leash with you at the other end of it, for example) then give him an order once. If he blows you off, reel him in and (in a matter-of-fact reasonable way) make him do whatever.

Include treats (not always food, try a toy tossed to him or throw an extra special party for him) in that whole process too so he has something really nice to work for.

How old is he now? He may be approaching a fear phase (usually somewhere between 7-14 months, but off and on) which will likely make him bark more (go away, go away, oh go away...please??) in a kind of braggadocio. That fits with seeing his ruff up too--that doesn't necessarily mean aggression. A dog's ruff may go up if he's feeling aroused, fearful, startled or excited in some way. It is an involuntary reaction.

I wouldn't carry him--like you said, it won't be long before that won't work. If you need to remove him from something, it works better if you make a series of leash snapping moves--tightening and then releasing, rather than just a steady pull. A quick tightening and release of the leash can help you get his attention too.

Try a little acting yourself---spot something in the distance (fake), dance up and down, wow let's go!! and dash away from him--and see if you can get him to join in and go with you without you having to pull him away.

And of course, keep an eye out on your surroundings and try to spot things that might set him off before he does. That's your chance to get his attention and distract him, or even go the other way to avoid the problem before it starts.

But he is such a cute little giraffe that I think you're exaggerating about his naughtiness. 😁 That innocent little pup couldn't possibly be any trouble, right??

Right.....

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,660 Posts
Oh Hope! Giving your daddy a run for his money.

I think Sugar was about his age when he did this one day after I went to work and before my husband came home...

Don't feel bad we've all been there 😂🤣😂🤣.

These boys are naughty for a long time I've been figuring out. I had a female before Sugar who was an angel at 18 months old.

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Welcome to the club. My first boy found a tiny, dime sized burn hole in the vinyl kitchen floor in the house we were renting at the time. (Renting!) He found and worked on that hole while I was at work one day, and by the time I got home, he had ripped up SHEETS of vinyl 6 and 8 feet long. 90% of the kitchen floor was GONE. I knew when my husband (ex now) got home, he'd kill him, so I called my brother to come over (quick) for dinner. I knew the ex would never kill anyone if there was a witness, and that way, I had time to calm him down. So, Ninja didn't die that night ;) but we for sure forfeited our deposit when the owner of the house had to replace that floor. :rolleyes:

"Stuff" happens. It's unavoidable. But I'm with Mel, I don't think that sweet little angel could have eaten holes in your rugs. I think it was an evil cat that broke in while you weren't looking.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I really need to thank you all for the help and reassurance. I cannot begin to tell you how much better I feel after reading the responses from those who have clearly seen this play out!

How old is he now? He may be approaching a fear phase (usually somewhere between 7-14 months, but off and on) which will likely make him bark more (go away, go away, oh go away...please??) in a kind of braggadocio. That fits with seeing his ruff up too--that doesn't necessarily mean aggression. A dog's ruff may go up if he's feeling aroused, fearful, startled or excited in some way. It is an involuntary reaction.
Thank you for the advice and perspective! I am ready to try anything right now - He isn't too bad for the most part, but sometimes something clicks and he goes into Red Terror mode where all bets are off. Right now he's napping on the couch next to me and his sweet custom rugholes, to the point where it's almost possible to forget the naughty time bomb aspect of his current state.

He is a week away from seven months, so an early-onset fear phase sounds about right. I just need to get used to this new aggression, as he has even started mouthing/play biting again and that hasn't surfaced in months. It's like ...seriously? Please, please don't start widdlin' in the house again for a full regression!

Oh Hope! Giving your daddy a run for his money.

I think Sugar was about his age when he did this one day after I went to work and before my husband came home...

View attachment 139143

Don't feel bad we've all been there 😂🤣😂🤣.

These boys are naughty for a long time I've been figuring out. I had a female before Sugar who was an angel at 18 months old.
Oh wow. Ok, my nonsense is a joke by comparison. Just wow.

I don't know if you caught my post in a different thread recently, but...it's the age. Adolescence is THE worst. Take a look at this most excellent post that I think you should be able to see on Facebook (it's a public post from a trainer)... be sure to click "see more" to read the whole post!)
Thank you! For both the reassurance and the link - I'll definitely be spending some time reading up once I finish picking up his toys and chew-stuff, and generally cleaning and de-Hoping the house. I'm not a neat freak, but I do reach a critical mass where I can only let things go for so long and it was that time somewhere around Thursday. 😂

Welcome to the club. My first boy found a tiny, dime sized burn hole in the vinyl kitchen floor in the house we were renting at the time. (Renting!) He found and worked on that hole while I was at work one day, and by the time I got home, he had ripped up SHEETS of vinyl 6 and 8 feet long. 90% of the kitchen floor was GONE. I knew when my husband (ex now) got home, he'd kill him, so I called my brother to come over (quick) for dinner. I knew the ex would never kill anyone if there was a witness, and that way, I had time to calm him down. So, Ninja didn't die that night ;) but we for sure forfeited our deposit when the owner of the house had to replace that floor. :rolleyes:

"Stuff" happens. It's unavoidable. But I'm with Mel, I don't think that sweet little angel could have eaten holes in your rugs. I think it was an evil cat that broke in while you weren't looking.
Insane. Crazy. Membership in yet another club that I'm loathe to join, but now I know that if I can keep the destructive damage to the rugs and eaten leashes, I'm getting off easy!

Right now he is deeply snoring at my feet after a morning of surprisingly chill hanging out, so hopefully this theme can continue for as long as possible. :cool:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Of course as soon as he felt my legs there he kick-stretched them away and off the couch, which cracked me up. Even sleeping, he brings the mischievous ruckus.

edit - No clue why that pic would flag as inappropriate/sensitive content, but if there's something about it that's unfit for the forum please let me know and I will avoid the same mistake in the future.

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
The forum seems to flag all kinds of weird stuff in photos. No worries.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 6 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
4,885 Posts
Mel, I thought it was due to Hope's pee pee peaking out at us?

Here I'll pixelized it and see if it displays?
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

No, let's try pixelizing the calves on human legs...

Yep! You're right, Mel, as always! (y)😁
(Make sure LaDi doesn't see this post...)

·
Big Lil pup
6,611 Posts
Good job SD. Hmmm... I guess two muscular calves side by side must resemble some software's idea of a human derrière. Still... Way less obscene than what that closeup of a pink Dobe nose must have been interpreted as a while back.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

121 - 140 of 170 Posts