Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #81

...more pics than usual this week I guess.

I'm always on the lookout for Sally Field but those ears don't move unless he's up and on something, so everything is still good. He seems to have calmed down a bit, he no longer bites/clamps down hard by default and instead goes right to his toys now, he doesn't pounce on Merlin and bullyrag him to exhaustion for the entirety of the time they're in the same room, and generally seems to have simply chilled a bit.

For as long as it lasts, I guess.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, as always.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
It's weird. Red slept in bed with us, always perpendicular to our lengthwise positions, and it was a constant jostling for pole position as he'd completely spread out on my side and grumble every night when I'd move him.

Hope sleeps in his crate every night and has come to love - or at least accept - it, and I'm on the fence about letting him up with us at some point. We are resigned to discussing it when he is able to jump onto the bed without help, but where I originally thought I'd choose to continue keeping him in his crate overnight ...I miss it. Or maybe I just miss Red. My wife used to tell me about how she'd wake up before me and see me petting the dog in my sleep, and perhaps he was a security blanket of sorts. I don't know. I just miss him.

We met our trainer at a park today to work on keeping focused despite distractions. Hope has come such a long way and he seems completely focused on us, even when other dogs show up to distract him, until he's not. I have to keep reminding myself that he's only 5 months this Sunday, as he's been so smart and ultra-trainable that when he doesn't immediately snap to it on command I get surprised.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and happy Easter Sunday for those who observe the holiday!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,257 Posts
It's a tough one--I enjoyed having the Kip and Capri (and Katana and Caesar further back) in bed with me, but Hairy will not stay in my bedroom even when he's invited (his previous owner must have laid down the law or something.) He just lies there and waits for me to release him so he can leave.

And I enjoy having no dog in my bed too.

And Happy Easter right back atcha!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
lol @ this week's update pics. Mr Rambunctious wouldn't sit still for the weekly pics so this crap is the best I've got:

5 months today and 41.2 lbs, up 2.8lbs from last week.

I'm super short on pics for this update but I hope everyone had an amazing weekend, and of course (and again) Happy Easter to those who celebrate/observe the holiday.

·
Super Moderator
26,257 Posts
Those pictures you call crap are the ones you'll look back on years later and giggle about. They'll probably be among your favorites. That second one? Yup, that's a dobe puppy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
That second one? Yup, that's a dobe puppy.
Apologies for taking so long to respond, it was a bit of a hell week for my wife and I where I got hit with some semi-expected vaccine side effects, but I'm finally starting to feel like a human being again.

His mature bark seems to have manifested, as his delight in using it. From around a corner he sounds like a 70+ lb. dog until his adorable (to us at least) lanky self comes loping into view all hell bent on whatever. He now loses it when he sees cats, squirrels or birds in the yard, and if the neighbor at the top of the hill, or his dog, come into view it's total Bark City.

They are perfect times to teach him on the notice-and-dismiss aspect of his training, but damned if they don't usually occur during critical phone calls more often than not. I know he wouldn't be a puppy if there weren't constant instances of infuriating insolence, and as always I remind myself that he's only 5 months (and 1 week) old, but the general patience of the house is under constant test - If not outright assault. :)

Nevertheless, we love him so much that even now we would be lost without him.

Interestingly enough, no change since last week. Still 41.2 lbs, which seems surprising since it sure seems like he's grown!

He was introduced to water yesterday, and I can't help but wonder if he will be a swimmer like Red. Red loved the water so much that he could have been part fish:

So I can't help but wonder if Hope might turn out to love the water some day as well:

Tentative, to be sure, but he did go in a bit.

This week I have some pics!

He jumped up on the bed for the first time last night. Didn't seem to think about it, just hopped right up like he'd done it a thousand times before and it aint no thang, but was then unable to replicate the it when the camera came out. Which is fine. It can be tough when the spotlight's on you!

I hope everyone is well, as always, and having an awesome Sunday!

·
Super Moderator
26,257 Posts
That skate park thing looks like it's just made to get a dog to bark...people popping up and down and all. And I think you have his flying pictures in the wrong order.

Up, Up...

And away!!

Our first dobe was our only swimmer. We lived in an apartment his first year or two of life--our balcony overlooked a small pond that always had 3 or 4 ducks in it. He would launch himself into the water at one end of the pond and swim manfully toward the ducks at the other. They waited until he got close enough, then picked themselves up and flew to the other end. So he would turn himself around and head back toward them. Rinse, repeat. He generally got tired before the ducks did.

Our second dobe only paddled with her front feet, while her back end wallowed and rolled like a log. Kip and Capri went in belly deep with abandon, especially on hot days, but there was no way they would go in further. Kip was a ball dog absolutely fixated on his tennis balls, but if you threw one into a pond he would just follow along the edge and wait until it decided to float to the shore.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Very interesting stuff! I figured that Red was an anomaly and it's good to hear that there's at least a chance that Hope could love the water some day as well. Although we no longer have a pool and the nearest swimmable water is miles away, so that lack of access will have something to do with it.

·
Premium Member
8,070 Posts
A few of those PICs would be great calendar contest entry for this month...”Dogs Smiling” .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thank you, LadyDi. I had already submitted one of my favorite photos of Red, who was always smiling, when I posted the above pics.

Even if it doesn't win, I'm just happy to share him with another thread. :)

81 - 93 of 93 Posts