Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks for sharing.
Poke!馃惓
Very happy to have found a place to share!

"It's Good to Be A Dobe in This Family"
(suggested caption for above pic)

Fantastic pictures, as usual, CMT!
Thank you! We adore this little dude.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the last picture might be your favorite, after a couple months of puppy energy?
It's mine, showing your puppy napping on his hand made, crocheted Afghan w/pillow.
12/13 pictures shows Hope being a crazy Dobe puppy vs. 1/13 of him sleeping (i.e. recharging)
Would that be proportional to his daily routine? 馃榿
Sounds about right and, thankfully, currently manageable. He's up at 6 a.m., gets into everything he can until his 9-10 a.m. nap, and then goes full on until 9 p.m. at which point he's out for the night. I make sure to run him in the yard a few times a day, we work on commands that he seems to get more often than not (lol) ...so far, so good.

Just got word that Merlin will be in on Saturday, so Hope should have a good weekend.

Registered
Those EARS! LOL! He's growing so fast, it's hard to believe. AND, he's growing into his feet, watch out! ;)

Such a handsome boy. If you ever need a babysitter....

Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
Yeah, I'm sure he would fit right in with all of your cats :giggle:

It's a particularly good batch of pictures this time--lots of puppy energy for sure. I am in love with his ears.

Registered
Yeah, I'm sure he would fit right in with all of your cats :giggle:

It's a particularly good batch of pictures this time--lots of puppy energy for sure. I am in love with his ears.

Put him with all these cats - they'd ALL get tuckered out and eventually fall asleep. Then maybe I could get some sleep! LOL!

His ears are his best feature, in my opinion. I just love when they flap in the wind as he's running. He is SO cute!

Super Moderator
He has such a nice ear set for natural ears and they lay nicely...you might want to be prepared for them to go a bit "wonky" as he's teething. The people I know who have adults with nice natural ears have sometimes had to tape them down for just a bit to retain that lovely shape so they don't end up with "flying nun" ears. It's super simple to do and I know there are some people who can walk you through that if you end up needing that.

He's growing fast and looks like a lot of fun.

Reactions: MMcCown and melbrod

Registered
Discussion Starter #47
Those EARS! LOL! He's growing so fast, it's hard to believe. AND, he's growing into his feet, watch out! ;)

Such a handsome boy. If you ever need a babysitter....
Thank you! And careful, I might take you up on that offer. If we ever start leaving the house once the world starts making sense again, that is.

We're in Napa so I can offer you wine in payment. Wine flows like ...well, wine here!

He has such a nice ear set for natural ears and they lay nicely...you might want to be prepared for them to go a bit "wonky" as he's teething. The people I know who have adults with nice natural ears have sometimes had to tape them down for just a bit to retain that lovely shape so they don't end up with "flying nun" ears. It's super simple to do and I know there are some people who can walk you through that if you end up needing that.

He's growing fast and looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks to both you and melbrod for this. I had no idea this could be a concern. I showed the posts to my wife, who is far more familiar with the breed, and she was also surprised that this could be necessary since she grew up with cropped Dobes.

Forewarned is forearmed, and we will absolutely be keeping an eye out for Sally Field Ears!

We swung by the seemingly always empty dog park yesterday after his final rabies vaccination at the vet and it was another hour of flowing, floppy ears. He couldn't get enough of a giant ball for some reason, and kept returning to it despite there being any number of alternatives available to gnaw down.

Big Merl & Co. is in later today so I'm hoping for good pics. I recently picked up a new camera and have been struggling a bit with nailing the focus settings as they are far more robust than my old body, but rather than make things immediately sharper, it's been a challenge to get everything quickly nailed down.

I hope everyone has an awesome weekend!

Super Moderator
I'm just going to have to stop looking at this thread--your pictures make me want a new puppy SO bad... LOL Keep them coming, though, I'll just have to learn to deal with it.

He is incredibly cute.

Living la Vida Loca!
He is such a cute lovey! I enjoy your pics but I do not have puppy fever as I have a big 2 year old male puppy who is still growing his brain! Although he is very good about settling down now after he explores at the pond.

Keep the pics and updates coming!

Registered
Thank you! And careful, I might take you up on that offer. If we ever start leaving the house once the world starts making sense again, that is.

We're in Napa so I can offer you wine in payment. Wine flows like ...well, wine here!
Riiiight, like you would drive to the middle of nowhere for a babysitter. But seeing as how I don't drink wine, for you it would be.... NO CHARGE! Dobermans are always welcome in our home. :)

Pssst.... want a kitten? LOL!

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
I do not have puppy fever as I have a big 2 year old male puppy who is still growing his brain!
Well that'll do it! I can't imagine what he's going to be like at 2 years. Hopefully chill.

Heh - Key word: Hopefully, but realistically ....not a chance. :)

Riiiight, like you would drive to the middle of nowhere for a babysitter. But seeing as how I don't drink wine, for you it would be.... NO CHARGE! Dobermans are always welcome in our home. :)

Pssst.... want a kitten? LOL!
I wish. I love cats but picked up horrific allergies to them some time in my 20s. The first time I got walloped with a closed throat and an inability to breathe was one of the first wonders of growing old/older and everything just got more and more wonderful after that.

Agreed about the wine - Never been a fan myself either.

Not much to report this weekend. Merlin came for a visit but was surprisingly lethargic and almost listless yesterday and last night. He had a bit more of his signature pep today but was definitely toned down, so he's visiting the vet tomorrow. He's such a good dog and I hope it turns out to be nothing of true concern.

Hope is 16 weeks today but was only up .3 lbs this week to 32.3 lbs. However he looks like he stretched out at least a few inches since last week - I know there's no exact science to these pics, but when I go back and look he always seems to look so much older than the week before.

He used to fit so well into that bed, too. Looks like that party is over, at least until he perfects his shrimping technique!

I hope everyone had a great weekend, as always!

Registered
It's making my head spin how fast he's growing - he looks like a totally different dog already! But a very handsome one! I do love the red boys... :)

I totally sympathize with you on the allergies. I'm glad I'M not allergic to cats, however, I am allergic to most rodents. Same kind, too, throat closes up, I start wheezing & sneezing, and I break out in ugly red welts. I have to eat lots of benadryl if I'm going to spend more than a couple of minutes in the chicken coop. The resident mouse population likes to hang out in there, eating spilled food, and keeping warm in the winter. Luckily, the benadryl helps.

When I was in grade school, my best girlfriend was allergic to cats, but she LOVED cats, and her family had several. She went in once a week for allergy shots (or so she said), which I could never understand. She must have REALLY loved those cats, eh? Some people... ;)

Super Moderator
I'll say he's getting bigger--he's a whole 2 bricks taller--which works out to about 33% larger. Until you see him next to Merlin. Maybe it's all that fur...

Registered
Well that'll do it! I can't imagine what he's going to be like at 2 years. Hopefully chill.

Heh - Key word: Hopefully, but realistically ....not a chance.
I meant to say this earlier and forgot. Now, granted, out of all my Dobes, I've only raised one from a puppy, but he went through stages. The first stage, which you're in now, is the maniac stage. 'Nuff said, right? When he got to be two, he achieved a serious level of calm, which I thought meant, OK, he's grown up now. But he wasn't. He WAS a lot calmer, most of the time, but when he hit three, he reached another level of "calmer." That was it, I thought, but noooooo. His final plateau was when he hit five years. Then he was "an adult." He stayed pretty much at that level for the rest of his life, and he lived to 15 years. I could see how silly I'd been thinking the previous changes were going to be his final maturation, once we were at five years, but I'll tell you, ANY bit of calm after the Maniac Stage is welcome. I know that's just one example, but hey, most Dobies go through the same phases, and I'm sure Hope will follow suit.

Doesn't that make you feel better? ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
When I was in grade school, my best girlfriend was allergic to cats, but she LOVED cats, and her family had several. She went in once a week for allergy shots (or so she said), which I could never understand. She must have REALLY loved those cats, eh? Some people... ;)
I applaud her dedication! I also did the allergy shot thing for over two years and it had a profound impact on both my seasonal and animal allergies - I used to get walloped when I'd simply enter a house with cats, and now, even almost a decade after the shots stopped, I can manage to survive in a catted house with just ample sniffling.

The whole thing just stinks. I grew up with cousins who owned a farm in upstate NY and would always be in the barns with the animals, and then one year I returned and couldn't go anywhere near them without being unable to breathe.

Way it goes I guess. :/

I'll say he's getting bigger--he's a whole 2 bricks taller--which works out to about 33% larger. Until you see him next to Merlin. Maybe it's all that fur...

Merlin is big! He maybe looks a bit larger than he is due to being a long haired Shepherd, but he's still over 110 lbs and I doubt Hope will ever match him in size/weight. Which is completely fine with me. And the wife. And everything chewable in the house including the cloth couches which seem to suddenly be irresistibly tasty.

Thankfully Hope currently only has a few teeth left as the adult chompers are on their way in.

I meant to say this earlier and forgot. Now, granted, out of all my Dobes, I've only raised one from a puppy, but he went through stages. The first stage, which you're in now, is the maniac stage. 'Nuff said, right? When he got to be two, he achieved a serious level of calm, which I thought meant, OK, he's grown up now. But he wasn't. He WAS a lot calmer, most of the time, but when he hit three, he reached another level of "calmer." That was it, I thought, but noooooo. His final plateau was when he hit five years. Then he was "an adult." He stayed pretty much at that level for the rest of his life, and he lived to 15 years. I could see how silly I'd been thinking the previous changes were going to be his final maturation, once we were at five years, but I'll tell you, ANY bit of calm after the Maniac Stage is welcome. I know that's just one example, but hey, most Dobies go through the same phases, and I'm sure Hope will follow suit.

Doesn't that make you feel better? ;)
Haha, yes. Absolutely. I know it's a premature celebration but he already seems tamed down a bit in comparison to his first weeks/month in the house where he was either cranked to 11 or sleeping. He actually relaxes here and there without having to either chew or bark or both, and right now he's sitting on my feet as I type this, contentedly (and quietly) snacking on a Bark Box chew.

I give it maybe a half hour before he has to go out and then it's back to BLAM! Mode, but quiet times like these are definitely more frequent than before. And now I'm smart enough to cherish them!

The important thing is that he reliably sleeps from 9 p.m. - 7 a.m. now (knock on wood) which is itself a mercy and makes the daily management much easier.

Super Moderator
They do go through another chewing stage when they are about 7-10 months old--they call it "setting" the adult teeth in the jaw bone.

It's not as bitey or as indiscriminate as puppy teething (in theory--they usually like harder things to chew on) but they can chew a lot harder and do a lot more damage, should they choose to do so.

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
I think I experienced it with Red, who rescued us at 8 months of age. When he first came home he simply could not stop gnawing on anything he could get his mouth around, and thankfully was happy to keep it strictly to the endless amount of bones we supplied.

I miss him so much and think of him every day.

Hope had a pretty good week. We missed the training session due to rain but worked on a lot this week. Recall is still hit or miss, which concerns me, but I have to remind myself that he is only 4 months old and that there's more time required before he will respond the way we want.

He sure sleeps well, though.

I hope everyone had a great week and has an even better weekend!

Super Moderator
Feet, feet and more feet......and nice looking nails too.

Things you need to know about the come command:

1. Never call them to come, especially when they are learning the command, if you can't make them come when they ignore you (that means they need to be on a leash or long line while you are training)

2. Do not let them off leash when you are working on the "come" command until their come is absolutely bombproof-- 100% of the time. They should know the command and respond every.single.time, no matter where you are and what is going on, before you try an off-leash come command. A major cause of failed come training is letting them off leash and using the command before they are ready.

3. Never call them to you to yell at them--even if they took 10 minutes to decide to respond, you always praise them when they are coming your way. Something I have done when I was SURE my dogs KNEW the command (that means in every single setting and under all conditions) and were just taking their time to respond was to grouch at them, even use a sharp "NO!", so long as they weren't headed my way, but once they turned my direction, I would throw a party--and they'd come on in fast!

4. Frequently call them to come and then release them back to their play or free time right away. You don't want them to associate "come" with the end of play. Try to find another way to catch them if it is time to put them on a leash. I usually ask mine to wait, or stand still (I tell them "leash time") and then I go get them.

Registered
Discussion Starter #60
Thank you! This reinforces what our trainer has "trained" us to do in order to (hopefully) successfully implant the command. He is never off his leash right now save for bedtime, either a 100ft long leash for training outside or a very short leash for use inside, and it quickly became clear that a tether or lead/line of some sort was needed once he found his legs and started putting on the jets. And jumping. He loves to jump off things.

Awesome that you noticed the nails. We grind one per day, except when we forget which does sadly happen here and there, and he seems to have gotten somewhat used to the grinder.

Looks like tonight's infuriating treat is puppy farts that are weirdly impressive with not only their olfactory wallop, but also their hang time. Yeesh.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts