Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
You should enter one of your PICs in the photo calendar contest!
I got silly--you've already entered! Good choice.
I must have submitted my pic only a few minutes before LadyDi posted her recommendation to do so last night!

I did have some trouble figuring out which photo to choose.

One of the biggest issues I am seeing/hearing about right now with people who have gotten puppies/dogs during the pandemic is separation anxiety. I think it's an even bigger issue with a breed like Dobermans, who are naturally so attached to us, so I'm so so glad to hear you are making sure to leave Hope alone to help work on prevention. Even with my adult dogs I'm making sure they are home alone a couple of times a week...I have to make a very determined effort to "schedule" this, as I work from home and my husband has a lot of work from home days!
We are the same. We are both WFH and he is always with one of us as a result. We're still in constant supervision mode because he seems to have regressed a bit with reliably going to the bathroom outside, but we have begun to train him on being comfortable without either of us in the room.

Sometimes I wonder if we are throwing too much at him at once. We learn new commands every week and spend the rest of the week rotating the new stuff in, but sometimes it feels like he has so much being thrown at him that we're not giving him enough time to process the stuff he's already tentatively learned.

Another issue that I've seen popping up with Doberman pups during the pandemic is a bit trickier to work with, but you may want to have on your training horizon...this is a naturally protective breed, of course. In the normal course of things, we'd naturally have visitors to our homes during puppyhood, so pups would get used to people being invited in on a fairly regular basis, and it would be normal for them to see people welcomed into our homes. With the pandemic, most of us are not doing that (or certainly not on the same level as usual). I've already been hearing about puppies who are struggling when a stranger comes into their homes now...this is definitely something to be aware of!

Very much enjoying watching Hope grow!
We were definitely seeing this. He was getting super loud when someone came to the door and his ruff went up whenever he sees someone walking by the house. We started taking him to relatively busy parking lots and letting him sit on the tailgate of our Jeep to try and get him used to the idea that there's a big world filled with people out there.

This was under the advice of our trainer, and after a few trips like this he seems to be more calm.

We have also discovered that sun puddles are his kryptonite. He can't pass one by without stopping for a nap!

edit -

Tonight's zonkout:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Interesting day. I was gone from 6 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. to handle a much longer than expected dental appointment (a cleaning turned into a cleaning and filling, and then into two fillings when another cavity was discovered later) which left my wife alone with Hope all day. It was a long day for me, but when I returned I swear she looked worse than I felt.

The poor woman was frazzled, bedraggled, and totally wiped out. I guess he was a serious handful without me there to tag in when needed - Since I got in late, he was only an hour away from tonight's Zonk Mode when I took over:

So "comfy" looking. And so peaceful. One half of my face is still hot from today and I still feel like I'm the one who somehow dodged a bullet.

Very much looking forward to the weekend and I hope everyone has a great one!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,864 Posts
The poor woman was frazzled, bedraggled, and totally wiped out. I guess he was a serious handful without me there to tag in when needed
New babies will do that to you.

Since I got in late, he was only an hour away from tonight's Zonk Mode when I took over:
But good timing ;) I used to accuse my husband of doing that kind of thing on purpose. It happened often enough I got suspicious.

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
Interesting day. I was gone from 6 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. to handle a much longer than expected dental appointment (a cleaning turned into a cleaning and filling, and then into two fillings when another cavity was discovered later) which left my wife alone with Hope all day. It was a long day for me, but when I returned I swear she looked worse than I felt.

The poor woman was frazzled, bedraggled, and totally wiped out. I guess he was a serious handful without me there to tag in when needed - Since I got in late, he was only an hour away from tonight's Zonk Mode when I took over:

So "comfy" looking. And so peaceful. One half of my face is still hot from today and I still feel like I'm the one who somehow dodged a bullet.

Very much looking forward to the weekend and I hope everyone has a great one!
If you still have pain in your teeth...make sure when you lay your down ..keep your head above your heart.
Laying totally flat increases the throbbing!!!! Ouch....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
But good timing ;) I used to accuse my husband of doing that kind of thing on purpose. It happened often enough I got suspicious.
When I saw how tired she was, it felt like I had messed up somehow despite having my own craptastic day and none of it being my fault.

I had him for the majority of the day today as a result, but he wasn't anywhere near the barky aggro ball o'fury from yesterday's tales. We are wondering if he was acting out because I was gone for the day, in which case we definitely have some work to do.

If you still have pain in your teeth...make sure when you lay your down ..keep your head above your heart.
Laying totally flat increases the throbbing!!!! Ouch....
Thank you! Thankfully neither tooth ever got hot once the novacaine wore off and today was pain free. :)

Which is good because it was nonstop play and training all day right down to the signature Night Zonk™.

I hope everyone has a safe and amazing weekend, as always!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Happy Valentine's Day, all!

It was a good weekend. A lot of training and running and playing and training and running. It's like a switch was turned on and all of his energy was directed to his legs, which have grown lanky and long. Like his face. I'm already going back to his first pics and wondering what happened to the compressed little adoraball that used to look like he had a flat.

Feb. 14, 2021: 13 weeks and 25 lbs. He only added 1.5 lbs this week, down from last week's 3 lbs, but his neck and torso seem to be stretching on a daily basis along with his continually plumping paws.

Yesterday we found an empty dog park away from everyone and stopped in for an hour. While we were there, a family walked by and Hope was on his best behavior while meeting and greeting them. They loved him, and we were thankful that Hope listened and responded to the "Sit," "Come," "Touch" and "Shake" commands despite the distraction of new people.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, as always!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Growing quite nicely.
Thank you and happy weekend!

We are smitten. He's such a good boy, especially when in this mode:

This week the trainer gave him an old coat she had from one of her older dogs that sadly no longer has a need for it. My wife thinks it's hilarious, it fits him better than his old red coat that now barely stays velcroed and it did stop him from shivering that morning so I guess it's functional. :)

We try to work him for at least an hour each every day, but these week was crazy busy with client calls so we weren't able to give him quite as much attention as usual. His energy levels were consistently high as a result. Normally he's zonked out by 9:30-10 p.m. and will sleep through the night, but the few days that we simply didn't have the usual time to tire him out meant even less sleep for us on those days - Lesson learned.

When cranked, he's started leaping off stuff, and can now hop right onto any couch in the house without help.

The above pic was interesting. He leapt full bore off the stairs onto me, knocked the camera out of my hands and kept tearing around the room like someone turned his amp up to 11.

Of course he doesn't always stick the landing (below), and I do get worried at the force of the thunk sometimes when he faceplants on the carpet, but nothing ever seems to phase him. Still, when things get too rambunctious and the biting starts, we deescalate per the usual.

After a long week, we're looking forward to a relaxing time hanging out with Mr Dog and I hope everyone has a great weekend, as always!

·
Premium Member
7,829 Posts
OH, CMT! I love that coat.
They grow so fast whatever works at this stage.
Later when full grown you will have to get a coat through “made by Meadowcat.com”
This website I have visited and purchased a coat for Hoss.
Tough coats And keeps them nice and toasty.
We get so cold in Florida! :cool: Ba ha ha

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OH, CMT! I love that coat.
They grow so fast whatever works at this stage.
Later when full grown you will have to get a coat through “made by Meadowcat.com”
This website I have visited and purchased a coat for Hoss.
Tough coats And keeps them nice and toasty.
We get so cold in Florida! :cool: Ba ha ha
Thank you Lady Di! He's growing so fast it's surreal - He's up almost 5 lbs this week and now weighs a tick under 30 lbs!

He met a new friend this weekend, a Klee Kai that belongs to a close friend who put him through some serious paces and wiped him out.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,864 Posts
Thank you Lady Di! He's growing so fast it's surreal - He's up almost 5 lbs this week and now weighs a tick under 30 lbs!
Wow--he is starting to look markedly more mature.

And you can see that he is already developing into a graceful elegant dobe LOL

·
Registered
Sherlock
32 Posts
Hope is such a looker and your pictures are such high quality! I love them. All of my pictures of Sherlock are just blurs. 😂

·
Premium Member
9,956 Posts
LOL--if there's anything that can really run a Dobe puppy into the ground it's a Husky--pretty fast and they can run forever.

Love the puppy pictures--they grow so fast at this stage of the game.

dobebug

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
And you can see that he is already developing into a graceful elegant dobe LOL
He is so adorably goofy and still trips over his paws sometimes. It's almost unfairly endearing!

Looks like he also lost two front teeth today/tonight, so Teethe Mode is definitely in effect.

Hope is such a looker and your pictures are such high quality! I love them. All of my pictures of Sherlock are just blurs. 😂
Thank you so much! Photography is a passion/hobby of mine and I am always chasing that one "perfect"(ly unattainable) shot. :)

LOL--if there's anything that can really run a Dobe puppy into the ground it's a Husky--pretty fast and they can run forever.

Love the puppy pictures--they grow so fast at this stage of the game.

dobebug
Thank you and agreed! Bowie was so fast. I grew up with Malamutes and fondly remember them literally tearing up the lawn when they'd pound around the yard full-wack, but I don't ever remember them covering as much ground as this Klee Kai when he'd put on the jets!

When chasing down the ball, Hope never stood a chance. I felt badly for him for getting so consistently dominated, but we'll see how it goes in a few months. He may not ever have quite the same speed or agility, but I suspect that he won't be so easily bumped off track in the near future.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts